Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 11,977 times

Advertisements

We are being relocated to Massachusetts at the end of October. Hubby's office is in Canton. We are looking for a reasonable, safe, and active area. I will be enrolling the kids in Catholic elementary school, so a great close one is a plus. I probably won't be able to go up for a visit until the 8th of October, and I would like to be prepared (I have never been to the area).

So far, I have been looking at:
Canton
Norwood
Walpole
Holbrook
Weymouth
Braintree
Quincy
Worcester

His territory will also cover Rhode Island. Any reason why we should consider RI over MA?

Any advice you can throw my way would be MUCH appreciated!

~Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 03:08 PM

157 posts, read 570,725 times
I'm assuming you are looking to purchase a home? If so, you're requirements for size and price are really going to be the dictators here as well. The good news is, there is no shortage of parochial schools in Massachusetts.

I would personally cross the few south shore towns you have on your list off (Weymouth/Braintree) as they are not all thet convenient to RI. Woostah would make sense as far as convenience to both Boston and RI, but it is go0ing to kind of be a pain to get to Canton from there.

These make the most sense to me geographically:
Norwood
Medfield
Walpole
Holbrook
Sharon
Stoghton
Foxbourogh
Mansfield
etc

Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 PM

64 posts, read 159,792 times
I'd rule out Worcester. Not a fun commute to Canton. Around that area, Canton itself is very nice. Sharon is even better, affluent, quiet, great schools (dont' know about parochial). Stoughton a little more middle class, more affordable. Mansfield very nice too, family oriented, cute downtown, closish to RI. Attleboro also not bad, and even closer to RI. Stay away from Brockton, Bridgewater, New Bedford, Fall River.

Your $$ requirements will help you choose where you can live, although, around that area, the towns are relatively affordable.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:53 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
You might also want to took at Franklin, Bellingham, Medway, Wrentham, Mansfield, or any of the small towns near the NE border of RI. Most are great towns with solid schools.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:45 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Something along the 95 Corridor would work. Many communities along the Route 24 Corridor will work as well. Since your kids will be in Catholic Schools, you have a little more flexibility with the towns as well (no more angst over public school districts).

The last three posts have great suggestions. I'd place a heavy emphasis on Sharon and Mansfield which are great towns with great public schools (although that's not as important to you). I would make these my top choices given the criteria you've listed so far.

I'd add Freetown and Lakeville to the list for sure. You'll get a little more bang for your buck than some of the other towns, and these communities are safe, pretty and good for kids. You may even be able to find some waterfront homes (search along Long Pond, Assawampsett Pond and the Assonet Bay) for a relative value. The weakest point of these towns is that their public schools are merely good. Not great, just good. Catholic School changes that picture a bit.

Generally, I agree with the recommendation to avoid Brockton (too rough around the edges) and New Bedford (rough around the edges and distance). I'd even add Taunton (tough except for the outskirts) to that list. However, good value can be found in Attleborough (especially outside of the center of town). Fall River is rough in places, but the bulk of the Northern half of the city ranges from nice to downright pretty. It's mostly suburban (the North End) and has some great historic neighborhoods (look into the Highlands). The biggest downside to looking into that area are the public schools (just plain awful), but again, you've neutralized that one. Fall River wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't know your budget and if it's tight, the North End (especially the highlands) is a great way to make your dollar go further. There's a big emphasis on Catholic education there too.

As far as Bridgewater goes, I don't see any problem with it. It's largely suburban with small town center that's kind of cool. It does have the college (Bridgewater State University) so there are students around, but it's not crazy. Schools aren't top-notch, but not bad.

Here's a link to Catholic Schools in the Fall River Diocese. Most of these schools aren't in Fall River, but are nearby.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 11,977 times
THANK you so much! VERY helpful!

Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
What about West Roxbury? I grew up there and there is a Catholic grammer school (St. Theresa's) and a Catholic high school for boys.
Here is a site with a list of schools:
List of Catholic Schools (grades K-12)

Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 PM

234 posts, read 629,096 times
The biggest consideration would be your budget and how much time your husband will be spending at the office vs. traveling for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts