Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:06 PM

630 posts, read 2,226,877 times

Advertisements

Well … I've now signed the lease for an apartment in Bedford, MA and am scheduling the movers. Begining to wonder if I have lost my mind. I've formally accepted the job in Lexington and will be moving into my new place and starting my job in mid-October. The job is no issue, same work I do here in CA, but much better pay. I was born in CA and been here my whole life (40+ years), raised my sons and I guess it's time for me to try something new and do something for myself. Just not sure since I've never done this before, never been able to. Hope I survive this move, this is stressful. So for those of you who have taken this step already any suggestions???

Before you ask I'm quiet and not into the party seen or anything. So being in a quiet town suits me quite well. I'm not going to be far from shopping or the movies. Just not sure how to meet some new people other than work ...

Everyone says change is good, but they forgot to mention how scary and uncertain it is .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 07:36 AM

675 posts, read 2,684,750 times
You may want to look into a newcommers club. When my husband and I moved, we left everything and everyone we knew behind in SoCAl. I found a newcommers club in our town, and it was a big help. I was able to meet people who were in the same boat.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:56 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
You may want to look into a newcommers club. When my husband and I moved, we left everything and everyone we knew behind in SoCAl. I found a newcommers club in our town, and it was a big help. I was able to meet people who were in the same boat.
I agree with 2kids. The Newcomer Club in Lexington was great. Joining clubs or groups at a house of worship is good too. I hope you like it there...I am so envious!Coming from California after living there for 40 something years was a very welcome change for us, so much so that we have been trying to get back ever since.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:46 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Change IS scary, but scary can also be just another word for "exciting." I moved to New England after spending the first 25 years of my live in Texas. Wouldn't even think of leaving it. Bedford is a very nice, quiet town, as is Lexington. You will love it. If, after living here for a year, you decide you might want to be in a bit more energized an environment--and closer to Cambridge/Boston--think about Arlington. We've lived here for 6 years and are very happy with it.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,411 times
I grew up in Burlington next door to Bedford. Bedford is very nice. My great aunt used to live there until she passed at age 99. Her brother, my great uncle was the town moderator way back. I was married to a girl from Lexington. Very nice town. You will have the best of both worlds, short commute and countryliving. Close proximity to Boston/Cambridge.

Lexington and Bedford and both $$$ towns.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:07 AM

212 posts, read 948,424 times
Default Make sure to get the local/Boston papers

If you subscribe to the Bedford and Boston papers (Globe) you will be able to read about everything that is going on in the area thru their Calendar sections.

The Fall is the best time to live here (I live in Lexington), with so many activities in every town around. As long as you have a car, you will be amazed at the amount of stuff to do in Massachusetts. Plus it's foliage season, so have your camera ready!

Best of luck!

Old 08-31-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
I grew up in Burlington next door to Bedford. Bedford is very nice. My great aunt used to live there until she passed at age 99. Her brother, my great uncle was the town moderator way back. I was married to a girl from Lexington. Very nice town. You will have the best of both worlds, short commute and countryliving. Close proximity to Boston/Cambridge.

Lexington and Bedford and both $$$ towns.
Thank you - seems that both are very nice, as for the $$$ that is no issue. I'm from SoCal and I find that it's no where near as expensive and I my wages in SoCal are good but they will be a lot higher in MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedaly View Post
If you subscribe to the Bedford and Boston papers (Globe) you will be able to read about everything that is going on in the area thru their Calendar sections.

The Fall is the best time to live here (I live in Lexington), with so many activities in every town around. As long as you have a car, you will be amazed at the amount of stuff to do in Massachusetts. Plus it's foliage season, so have your camera ready!

Best of luck!
Thank you I will do that and I can't wait to see the fall changes. In SoCal we don't have that ....

Old 09-01-2007, 07:26 AM

46 posts, read 229,440 times
Same boat.
My fiance and I packed up and left our home West Palm Beach, Florida and came to New York City.

Now we're packing up and leaving for Burlington, MA because of his job is Lexington, MA.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilary086 View Post
Same boat.
My fiance and I packed up and left our home West Palm Beach, Florida and came to New York City.

Now we're packing up and leaving for Burlington, MA because of his job is Lexington, MA.
Hilary086 - that is funny, wonder if we are working for the same company. If you don't mind saying where in Burlington ?? I'm moving into Bedford on the Burlington Border on Middelsex Turnpike. Apt complex Heritage at Bedford Springs. When are you moving?? I wish you both all of the best in your move

Old 09-01-2007, 12:50 PM

46 posts, read 229,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post
Hilary086 - that is funny, wonder if we are working for the same company. If you don't mind saying where in Burlington ?? I'm moving into Bedford on the Burlington Border on Middelsex Turnpike. Apt complex Heritage at Bedford Springs. When are you moving?? I wish you both all of the best in your move
We're moving Spet. 28th.
The complex is called Stone Brook Farms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts