Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:48 PM

11 posts, read 26,484 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to commute from northampton to north adams? If not, are there towns in the vicinity of north adams worth checking out to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 07:05 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eustaciavye View Post
If not, are there towns in the vicinity of north adams worth checking out to live?
I suggested Williamstown on another thread. It has the college, an art museum and the higher income people a college attracts.

The median price of housing is higher in Williamstown, but at the $250K and under, I don't see much difference in the quality of the housing stock. Have you heard so many negative things about North Adams that you do not want to live there? Further alternatives are Dalton and Pittsfield, but frankly I think Williamstown is a better choice if you like Northampton.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:18 AM

I haven't many positive reviews of North Adams. I currently live in a more urban place and like living in the city. I don't need a city but I do need some things to do. I have read a lot of the threads on here but some are a few years old so I was hoping the situation may have changed.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I don't think you could really commute from Northampton to North Adams. It's a long way and there isn't a Mass Pike or anything like that. I'm not that familiar with the North Adams area so I can't suggest any good places for you to live, especially if you like urban places.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eustaciavye View Post
Is it possible to commute from northampton to north adams? If not, are there towns in the vicinity of north adams worth checking out to live?
I could also suggest Bennington, VT, It is only 18 miles and 27 minutes by the Mohawk Trail and Route 7. It has about 9,000 people and has the college. It is larger than Williamstown (with 4500), but smaller than Northampton.

FWIW, I think the commute from Northampton to North Adams would be too long and difficult in the winter

Old 12-27-2011, 02:34 PM

Thanks. I am sort of liking Williamstown but I will definitely check out Vermont. I am not going to visit there until February but I am trying to get a list of potential places to look at while I am up there. Thanks for steering me away from Northampton.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:19 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,517 times
I'll put in my plug for Pittsfield.

It gets a really bad rap that it does not deserve. The downtown has built up admirably over the last decade-plus, and it boasts a couple dozen interesting local restaurants from high to low cuisine, and many local shops. It's becoming a center of the arts. They've fixed up their historic theater (Welcome to The Colonial Theatre Online), and the Barrington Stage Company now calls the city home, as does the Berkshire Theatre Group.

People certainly still do get stabbed in the eye, and other sketchy displays of urban ills - my friend who worked in the ER got to see the fun underbelly of Pittsfield, but such horsesh** in Pittsfield-sized cities is easily avoided by not mingling with said scummy folk.

Its downtown feels much more urban than either Northampton or North Adams, as it's an historically bigger city than both of those! Not as much pedestrian life as Northampton, but that town is a true anomaly. Northampton is about an hour east of Pittsfield - close enough to easily visit for its cultural events too.

It's about twenty miles - 35 minutes, up to North Adams, on scenic Route 8.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:24 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,131 times
The commute would be hellish in winter. Route 2 (Mohawk Trail) is the main road between the two. The closer to you get to North Adams, the more mountainous it becomes. Route 2 turns into a bone-chilling hairpin-turning (at least to me!) maze down the mountain into North Adams. I don't even WANT to know how people drive it in winter :shudder: The first time I drove it was in the spring, and I held up a line of cars waiting to go around me because I was inching my way down.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
Route 2 (Mohawk Trail) is the main road between the two.
A more practical route from Northampton to North Adams would be NW on Route 9, then pick up Route 116 , then Route 8. But the poster is correct that the Mohawk Trail has switchbacks you would not want to drive in winter. They may even close it officially.

The Route 9/116/8 trip is about 1 hour 18 minutes (47 miles) according to the map sites. I think it's too long for a daily commute.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-29-2011 at 06:39 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
I'll put in my plug for Pittsfield.

It gets a really bad rap that it does not deserve. The downtown has built up admirably over the last decade-plus, and it boasts a couple dozen interesting local restaurants from high to low cuisine, and many local shops. It's becoming a center of the arts. They've fixed up their historic theater (Welcome to The Colonial Theatre Online), and the Barrington Stage Company now calls the city home, as does the Berkshire Theatre Group.

People certainly still do get stabbed in the eye, and other sketchy displays of urban ills - my friend who worked in the ER got to see the fun underbelly of Pittsfield, but such horsesh** in Pittsfield-sized cities is easily avoided by not mingling with said scummy folk.

Its downtown feels much more urban than either Northampton or North Adams, as it's an historically bigger city than both of those! Not as much pedestrian life as Northampton, but that town is a true anomaly. Northampton is about an hour east of Pittsfield - close enough to easily visit for its cultural events too.

It's about twenty miles - 35 minutes, up to North Adams, on scenic Route 8.
That sounds pretty good. Is there a specific neighborhood you would recommend in Pittsfield?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts