Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 35,120 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to purchase my first home and i'm trying to find a good town to live in. I'm a Quincy girl and sick of the city, however, i do work in Boston so i'm looking for a place not too far. Some of the towns i was looking at were Easton, Walpole, Foxborough, Mansfield, Canton. Does anyone live in these towns that can offer some insight? For example, how are the school systems, is it nice area? Any insight would be great, also any suggestions for towns not too far out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 01:49 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
I think the school systems in Walpole and Canton are good. I live in Arlington. The Brackett Elementary School in Arlington is the top-performing elementary school in MA--for the past three years.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:17 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Marybettiful, what is your approximate housing budget and do you plan on taking the train to work?

Old 09-04-2007, 06:32 PM

I was looking at the $300k-$350k range, and yes i would be hoping to commute to work

Old 09-04-2007, 06:33 PM

Sorry about that, yes commute by train

Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Marybettiful,

You use many general terms. It would be helpful if you can clarify what you mean by "good" or "nice". My definition of good is not yours. What in a school system or school are you looking for? What is a nice neighborhood or town? Do you want to live in a place where you need to drive 15 minutes to go anywhere (including supermarket)?

If you are looking for test scores, you can go to the Mass department of education (doe.mass.edu)and look up each town/school's MCAS or SAT scores. You will find test scores usually correlate well with parent's income and education level. (Haha... that is why we should always marry rich or smart people)

In any case, being in the top-performing elementary school does not mean your child can get into Harvard or MIT. If your child has an IQ of 150, he or she will do fine in Quincy or any school system.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:52 PM

I guess what i'm really looking for is a quiet town where you know your neighbors and the parents are active in the community. I like the suburbs but wouldn't want to travel for 20 mins or so to get to the nearest supermarket. Quincy isn't bad but i have lived here all my life and i'm sick of seeing the same things everyday if you know what i mean!

Old 09-04-2007, 07:07 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
I do not know all the town you mention. However, I'm not sure if the suburb is for you. Everyone drives... from here to there... 10K miles a year just driving around town.

I suggest you drive during morning and evening rush hour for a week to see how you like it. Most towns you mention add easily 20 minutes each way to your commute daily.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:58 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marybettiful View Post
I guess what i'm really looking for is a quiet town where you know your neighbors and the parents are active in the community. I like the suburbs but wouldn't want to travel for 20 mins or so to get to the nearest supermarket. Quincy isn't bad but i have lived here all my life and i'm sick of seeing the same things everyday if you know what i mean!
Probably out of the towns you mentioned, Walpole would fill your needs the best. It's a 30 minute train ride to Boston, lots of stores, the elementary schools are decent and there is a very strong community feel. Your price range is a little low - but you never know, some people are anxious to sell.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:08 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
Canton is nice. I have family there and they like it very much. Can be pricey to buy a house but, in this market you never know. It also has two stops on the commuter rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts