Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM

36 posts, read 105,181 times

Advertisements

I posted last week with a list of wants that i know were asking for the impossible in MA. After a week of driving around we found a place in Salem we really like the look of. We are a lesbian couple with a toddler and looking for a place where there are likely to be other LGBT families. It fits most of our wants so far, but, in reading about Salem i am starting to worry it might not fit us.

Anyone live there? Know anything related to raising a family in Salem? Is it gay friendly? We know the schools suck but after talking have decided if we liked it, private school would be the route we take. How is the resale value if we hated it and wanted to move in 4 years? How popular is Salem? What area's should we not look in? Much crime?

Any help would be great, we are really struggling with finding a place that fits our needs and is in our price range.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 PM

199 posts, read 948,660 times
If you are concerned, what about renting for a few months before buying? That way, you're not committed and it would buy you time to check out the schools, neighborhoods, GLBT situation, etc. Have you talked to a real estate agent?

The city actively courts gays (lgbtsalem and Gay Salem! Your Gay Guide to the Witch City!). If you look around the city's website and you'll find members of the GLBT who might be able to give you some help or advice. Morning Glory BB is a gay-owned bb and the owners might be able to help.

Salem is a city with some urban issues. Most of the crime is limited and restricted to one area. If you don't go near the area, chances are pretty good that you wouldn't be affected by crime. So stay away from the Point.

Salem is on the commuter rail, bus routes, and home of SSU. Historic areas, parts of the Willows, North Salem on the Kernwood Bridge side, in particular, are desirable areas and seem to hold their value. Chestnut St is considered one of the most desirable streets in the area, which is reflected in the housing prices. Salem's housing has depreciated since the heady highs of 1998-2007, but check out Redfin or Trulia or speak to a real estate agent on the details.

Saltonstall is considered the best public school in the Salem; it was a magnet point years ago and featured on NBC Today but since then I think it's decent, ok, or somewhat average by MA standards. So yes, not sure if anyone in a million-dollar house on Chestnut St sends their children to a public school in Salem; they tend to go private or parochial as do some other middle-class families in the city.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 PM

Thank you.

We have dogs and an infant, trying to rent in New England with one of those is hard, both is near impossible it seems. We rent right now, can't take not having yard space and hate throwing away money each month. Ready to get back into home ownership!

We have a realtor, market actually seems kind of slow up here right now. I'll check out where the point is and make sure to keep away if we decide to buy in Salem!

Thanks again

Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 AM

Been there sans dogs.

I've been temporarily renting in Salem with my husband and 6-year-old son while our co-op in NYC sells and our short sale goes through here. I totally understand the part about renting and not having a yard.

I can attest that Salem has gays. I'm currently living across from some and have lived next to some in the past (lived in Salem in the 90s too). I've also seen gays walk hand-and-hand in Salem. It's a diverse place so the GLBT probably feels more welcome here than other areas. I think you'll find that the GLBT is also active and invested in the city like others are here, but reach out and contact the GLBT here to see and get details on it.

The housing market is a bit slow at the moment. It will pick up soon. It's a good time to check out how much prices are and been selling for. I can say that I've seen a wide gamut in Salem in terms of prices for housing, though a lot depends on the area and the exact location, condition, etc.

The Point is a fairly defined and self-segregated area that is easily identifiable and avoidable.

Some other points on the school situation, I forgot to mention in my last post. Salem operates on a lottery system with the public schools. Parents who are invested and committed to their children and public schools tend to send their kids to Saltonstall and there's not usually an issue with the lottery system. Other parents chose to send their kids to neighboring towns and cities where school choice is an option. Beverly, for instance, will accept students from Salem. Hamilton-Wenham HS does too or did. I think Marblehead may have school choice, but you'd have to check. There's a number of private schools in the city and area. There's also a growing homeschool/unschool movement in the area.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I know several gay male couples living in Salem, and one works for the city. It's not an issue about gay-friendly, at all. Frankly, it's more like pet-unfriendly for rentals!
If OP would like to get in touch with my friend who works for the city and is knows and loves Salem as a place and home, please feel free to DM me.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:29 AM

Any info on the northfields area of salem? other than lots of cemeteries!

Thank you for the school information, i will check into what local towns accept salem residents. I honestly think until high school we will go private or i will homeschool so a good homeschooling network would be wonderful!

I never do understand the pet-unfriendly thing, my dogs are better behaved and cleaner than most humans! Seems when we find pet friendly, they wont rent because of lead laws. Crazy. So ready to be able to do as i please in my own home and to have some yard space.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 AM

North Salem on the Kernwood Bridge side of Rt 114 is desirable - between Greenlawn Cemetery and Southwick/Dearborn Street in particular. That's a stable neighborhood where you don't see a lot of turnover for housing. Buffum St is also desirable on the other side of Rt 114. You've also got easier access to Rt 128 and heading north with North Salem.

There's a bunch of homeschooling groups in the area. See Massachusetts Home Learning Association or find them under yahoo groups. I know there's an inclusive homeschooling group and a Waldorf co-op (under-the-willow) group and some in Beverly/Hamilton that meet regularly. If you don't see one, create one. I'm sure you'll get people to join.

I'm actually in the process of investigating the homeschool/unschool situation for my son. He's in kindergarten at a private school but we cannot afford the tuition next year. I heard some families have managed to do partial homeschooling so that's another possible option. Today, there's also tons of stuff online. Look around. You've got time with a toddler.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:00 PM

The street the house is on is between st mary's cemetery and green lawn. My biggest concern was the sex offender living a few blocks away but in the grand scheme of things, at least i would know where he is, plenty of them out there that haven't been caught.

Good luck with the homeschooling. How much was private school for you? It's a few years out for us but i don't plan on moving again in the next few years!

Are the parks generally busy? Do you like it there? I assume so if you are willing to pay for private school or homeschool.

I have to say, other than Arlington (which is out of our price range) Salem is the only other place i instantly liked the feel of!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM

110 posts, read 202,279 times
You might want to Google "Rent v Buy Calculator New York Times". I know the culture tells us to be homeowners at a certain stage of life, but that calculator was a real wakeup call for me!

I hear you about dogs, but we've always had animals, have rented as often as we've owned and have never had a problem. We offer references or a "pet deposit." Good luck!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 PM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
I live in Beverly and I take my kids to Salem parks quite often, which is only 10 min away. There are three waterfront parks - Salem Willows, Winter Island, and Forest River. There are great playgrounds, a little amusement park with rides for younger kids, arcade, pizza, ice-cream and minigolf, beaches, a commuity garden, a fort for kids to run around. The common playground is nice and very busy. There are lots of children's events from Halloween parade to family days with jumpies, trains and ponys on the common, to fireworks with a symphony orchestra on July 4th.

Saltonstall school had a full day program, last time I checked. The schools just hit rock bottom, where they are supposed to go into receivership by the state. This is partly due to 40% of students being native spanish-speaking.

If you like Salem, you might just consider Beverly, which used to be a part of Salem. It's just next door over the bridge, but a more middle-class family atmosphere and better schools. And you can find something in Beverly in all kinds of price ranges.

Last edited by konfetka; 02-24-2012 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts