Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:35 PM

15 posts, read 108,017 times

Advertisements

I just recently got a job in Chelmsford and have never lived in MA before! I'm trying to find towns that are good for young professionals. Of course I would love to live in Boston, but the commute would not be fun...especially since I will need a car to get to work.

I would really appreciate any suggestions for safe areas between Chelmsford and Boston (within 30 min. to Chelmsford) that have a good amout of things going on for a young, single, professional! I don't mind a more expensive area, but cheaper is always better . Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 PM

630 posts, read 2,226,583 times
I'm just moving to MA myself, don't know about things to do for young people, but I do know the areas of Lexington, Bedford, Burlington and Concord are good areas. As far as housing is concerned some areas are more expensive and some are less. The new apt. complexes offer more and are more expensive. I've rented an apt. in Bedford just between Nutting Lake and the Burlington Mall. The Mall has some great shopping, great restauants and grocery stores. There is a Starbuck's up the street, I'm from CA and that is the thing here. To give you an idea my apt is 2br/2bth for 2k per month. I know on CD that someone has rented an apt 2br/2bth in Burlington for 1600 per month. The areas I have mentioned are close to Chelmsford, but also close enough to go to Boston on the weekends, only about 20 min drive. Just some food for thought.

Best Wishes to you on your new job and your relocation !!

Old 09-14-2007, 12:09 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times
As far as expense goes, Chelmsford is one of the lesser expensive areas but still nice. All neighboring towns have no nightlife to speak of and are very family oriented. Probably the more active area within a half hour of Chelmsford would be Arlington and then Cambridge although I don't know how long it would take to get to Chelmsford exactly. Concord,Lexington,Bedford,Acton,Lowell,Westford, and Andover are somewhat vary from very expensive to fairly expensive but still very family oriented due to the better public schools,ect. and definetly not geared toward young and single.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:09 AM

thank you both for your responses! i'm definitely looking for a less suburban setting. some place where i can walk to a coffee shop, cafe, and bar (not clubs). i'm guessing cambridge is probably my best bet...!?

Old 09-14-2007, 07:19 AM

45 posts, read 248,573 times
You may like Arlington. Very walkable, more geared to young singles than some of the Metrowest areas and slightly closer to Chelmsford than Cambridge, but less expensive than Cambridge. Easy access to Boston and Cambridge too.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:59 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I second the Arlington suggestion. East Arlington is like an extension of Cambridge, with MUCH lower car insurance and easier access to the highways to get to Chelmsford. (I lived in Cambridge for many years and Arlington for a couple). Outside of East Arlington, it feels quite suburban, although you can easily get to the city and all.
Cambridge is much better for bars and a younger nightlife (a nightlife, period, although E. Arlington wins on neat restaurants, a great moviehouse, and more affordable everything).
You will need to pay for parking no matter what, but Arlington requires cars off the streets from 2a-6a. In Cambridge, you'll just wish you had a paid-for space, especially if near Harvard Square and in the winters.
Actually, if the added expense isn't an issue, Cambridge is the place to be 23 with a buck in your pocket (professional job). It's worth it.
Everything else between there and Chelmsford is quite suburban, even if there are nice town centers and all, it's all family oriented and older people. I'd say there nothing for 23-year-old people except peace and quiet and other people's kids.
Good luck!

Old 09-15-2007, 04:08 PM

thank you so much for the arlington reccomendations! that's a great suggestion as it is a little bit farther out and could save me a few minutes travel time compared to cambridge. i'm sure parking isn't fun to deal with, so i will definitely look into places that have parking! brightdoglover, thanks for explaining the differences between east arlington and arlington...i was on craig's list and was wondering which would be better for me! thanks all, any more suggestions are welcome!

thanks again

Old 09-15-2007, 07:23 PM

212 posts, read 948,267 times
Default Belmont is convenient, too

My 23 year old daughter just rented a beautiful apt in Belmont, very close to the Cambridge line. The public transportation is very convenient there. There are lots of two and three family homes in Belmont with owners living in the house. Most come with at least one parking spot. Of course, the rents will be much higher in these two towns. The rents in the Chelmsford area are considerably lower. Have you thought of sharing an apartment?

I would highly recommend either Belmont or Arlington. Although your commute will be long (about 35-40 minutes), it will be in the opposite direction of most traffic. Both towns are very safe - urban with a nice mix of families and singles - yet close to Cambridge and Boston.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2007, 11:00 AM

24 posts, read 198,302 times
I lived in Chelmsford and I understand why you would want something less suburban, but Chelmsford has its own community and there were lots of activities and ways of meeting people. The Java Room in the center of town offered special events like photography shows, art exhibitions and receptions, tango afternoons on Sunday. There was a woman who taught dancing and seemed to have a large following. Bertucci's was always jammed. The library gave concerts and their bulletin board was usually filled with event listings. There was a group for people new to the town, I'm sorry I can't remember their name. Churches had many activities. All Saints Church (978-256-5673) was especially creative and busy. The pastor is Tom Barrington. I didn't attend the church, but I did go to many of their functions and they were fun. I left the area because I too wanted something closer to Boston, so I understand. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2012, 01:08 PM

32 posts, read 51,297 times
Default Relocating to Boston

This has been some great information, my Husband has a possibility of a job in Chelmsford as well, we are early 50's and our first thought was Cambridge also, we would like to be near bars, coffee shops and transportation into Boston....we currently live in Portland Or and are looking to get back east to be close to family.

I would love to hear more about Arlington?

Thank you so much for all the info out there

PS: Did you end up moving and if so where did you move to and how do you like it, any suggestions?

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts