Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to move to New England area. I love everything about it. I am looking at coastal towns or within a short driving distance to the water in Mass. I am looking for a town that has the image in my head of what New England should be with tree lined streets, safe neighborhood, great school system, lots of local restaurants and cafes(not chains). Somewhere that is amazing in the fall and at least withing driving distance to salem and boston. I know I am stretching my requirements, but hopefully there is a place like this other than in my head. I want a beautiful charming new england town, but not boring. I love what salem is like for halloween and I look for dowtowns like salem or newburyport. I want a beautiful downtown like those. when i see pictures of newburyports downtown and how cute the street lights, brick roads, trees,little artsy stores, it really makes me want to move. From what I hear, salem has a not so great school system and the houses I have looked at seem run town. Newburyport seems to get alot of tourists to by bus since it runs thru the town. Although I like salem, i am not looking for a city, but a town that has alot. walmart target and things like that can be within a short drive. I want to show you the street i live on and it is hard for me to leave the tree lined streets i love so much. Any direction you can lead me to would be so appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Please help lead me in the right directions...-tr5.jpg   Please help lead me in the right directions...-tre3.jpg   Please help lead me in the right directions...-tree2.jpg   Please help lead me in the right directions...-trr.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Marblehead or Hingham?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
What is your budget? Where will you be working? Where do you live now, so we can maybe prepare you?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,633 times
Default Near the coast

Any town in the Boston area, including Boston itself, will be near the coast. Charming down towns like Salem are not everywhere, but are pretty common. Since the whole area was settled before 1650, real colonial houses are not that rare. The big building boom was during the Victorian Age, so most housing is pre-1910.

The big issue is price. Even waterfront houses can be affordable in places like Winthrop and Hull, but the commute will be a bear. Lowell, an old factory town, is also cheap with an interesting park in the center of the city. Trees like in your picture are pretty standard, just try looking at Google Maps.

Get back with a budget.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 PM

940 posts, read 1,936,661 times
This is Beverly

http://maineimaging.smugmug.com/Aeri..._raNXB-L-2.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-14-2012 at 05:30 AM..

Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,844 times
Default I'd go for...

Manchester or Marblehead on the North Shore. If you are open to living on the South Shore, Duxbury is a BEAUTIFUL town, on the water and with an excellent school system. I live in Beverly-has pretty areas but others not so much. Schools are a crap shoot. If your kid(s) has no "issues", it's mediocre (at best). Special Ed-horrible.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 11,185 times
You mention Salem, why not choose Salem? The folliage is amazing in the fall around the Salem Common, and the past decade has seen tremendous growth in the downtown area, restaurants, musuems, waterfront activities, etc.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKW01915 View Post
Manchester or Marblehead on the North Shore. If you are open to living on the South Shore, Duxbury is a BEAUTIFUL town, on the water and with an excellent school system. I live in Beverly-has pretty areas but others not so much. Schools are a crap shoot. If your kid(s) has no "issues", it's mediocre (at best). Special Ed-horrible.

LKW01915, just curious - what made you come up with that conclusion?

I know Beverly is not Best of Boston, but they do better on SAT's than Swampscott or Melrose, which is remarkable, given it's 20% low-income, and earns it a solid "B".

Last edited by konfetka; 09-14-2012 at 06:48 AM..

Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMoss View Post
You mention Salem, why not choose Salem? The folliage is amazing in the fall around the Salem Common, and the past decade has seen tremendous growth in the downtown area, restaurants, musuems, waterfront activities, etc.
Having been on the Grand Jury in Salem for 3 months, I recommend the OP look at the crime rate.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:21 AM

SuperSparkle, in your opinion is the crime contained in drug-related circles or domestic issues, and what percentage of it affects a random bystander?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts