Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times

Advertisements

where do you live NCHomesomeday? I thought you moved back to NC already, or maybe that was someone else w/NC in their name. And that electric bill is high, yikes! our electric for september was only $34 and we cook everyday on an electric stove too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 04:23 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
I'm in the Boston area. We've been here for 10, almost 11 years. We were fine until 2002 when my husband lost his job in the wake of 9/11. He was in banking and that industry did not fare well. The economy was terrible and he couldn't find work so he had to resort to taking odd carpentry jobs. That actually kept him very busy--in fact he wound up getting his contractor's license. But he just couldn't move the jobs through fast enough to churn out enough of a profit and he wasn't big enough to justify hiring on more labor---we wound up making less money when he did that. So between that and my only working PT, we just fell behind. If we had lived somewhere cheaper, perhaps we might have been ok. Hindsight is 20/20. We should have sold the house no later than 2003-2004.

The electric bill represents a very hot Aug and Sept and the jacked-up rates you find in the summer around here.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
where do you live NCHomesomeday? I thought you moved back to NC already, or maybe that was someone else w/NC in their name. And that electric bill is high, yikes! our electric for september was only $34 and we cook everyday on an electric stove too.
Parsec, you don't have teenagers who leave their ac and lights on all day. I think during July and August, our electric bill was over $350.

Speaking of electricity, my neice is married to an electrician, he's a young guy, already has 5 employees, and last year made over a quarter million.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:36 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Parsec, you don't have teenagers who leave their ac and lights on all day. I think during July and August, our electric bill was over $350.

Speaking of electricity, my neice is married to an electrician, he's a young guy, already has 5 employees, and last year made over a quarter million.
Wow, I am starting to dread the day my little baby grows up. I'll need to buy a shotgun too, right?

NChomesomeday: I'm sorry to hear that. I guess the old rule of keeping 3-6 months of expenses in the bank might not be enough in some cases.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,785 times
patapsco, i'm just reading this whole thing for the first time today. I have oil heat at home and i turn the thermostat down to 62 at night for sleeping (with small children i know that will be difficult to do but it is better to sleep in a cooler room than a hot room). I also use my wood burning fireplace a lot in the winter (it heats 2 rooms). FYI, I haven't even turned my heat on yet and it's already the middle of october.

If you can't get a relo package have you looked into what, if any, part of relocating is tax deductible?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Wow, I am starting to dread the day my little baby grows up. I'll need to buy a shotgun too, right?

NChomesomeday: I'm sorry to hear that. I guess the old rule of keeping 3-6 months of expenses in the bank might not be enough in some cases.
Yup, we learned the hard way that even close to a years' worth is not enough.

CaseyB is right on about teenagers. He also forgot to mention the 2-3x/day 30-45 minute showers. I get a slow burn going when I come home from work (I leave before everyone else) and find every light on in the house.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:18 AM

130 posts, read 832,808 times
Default Tax deductions

Hi, Surfing -

I haven't exhaustively researched the tax deductible relocation info, but at first blush (20 minutes or so) it looks like the ONLY thing that's deductible is the actual move itself. The packing/moving/unpacking and 1 night hotel after your house is in the van. Of course, you don't get it both ways. If the company pays that, you deduct nothing. The irony is, the moving van stuff is usually the minimum they give people, anyway...

No trips to find housing, none of the rest.

It seems the benefits are toward the EMPLOYER, rather than the EMPLOYEE. One reason why I think they should "pony up" so to speak, since they can write it off as a business expense.

I wouldn't be nearly so stressed if we could afford this move independant of the company. This job is an incredible opportunity but it's stressing me out!

That and the not knowing. He's supposed to finally hear from them today what's included. Then I guess we go from there. Wish us luck!

Oh, and thans for the tip on the heat.

As far as you people with teenagers... at least they're done teething and your'e getting some sleep!

take care,
K

Old 10-19-2007, 12:34 PM

Ah, but you don't get sleep with teenagers. They take the family car and push the limits on curfew . No sleep until they're home. Face it, your nights of a good sleep are over for a looong time.

We're wanting to move to NC and I've turned down 2 opportunities due to no relo funds. People have told me I'm being ridiculous. As you can see by the costs of relo, I'm not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts