Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 04:10 AM

61 posts, read 115,025 times

Advertisements

There is a good possibilty I can finally return home after moving around some. I've lived in FL for 7 yrs, moved to MA, back to FL, to CA for 8 months, to Oregon for 3 and 1/2 months, Back in CA now for 2 months in a new town. I want this move to be IT.. The end. Back home..

WARNING! Bare with me because like a native New Englander can be prone to doing, he may spill his guts all over the place if a ton is on his mind.

I am in Sacramento area over in a place called Carmichael.. A family situation brought me out west, but I was living in FL at the time I relocated here.. Nothing I could do I pretty much had to move as I had no other options so I just used it to try to get to Oregon. the culture is very distant up here.. I never met such rude distant people in my life out of many places I lived in. Its just not outwardly rude but I feel the sentiments for sure.. the sentiments are even ruder than MA.. I kid you not people. Oregon was pretty bad but CA also is too. My time out west has been hell.. Has anyone experienced similar to me? They might have been from MA or Lowell/Boston area and then located to CA/Portland or something? I was one of them for sure.. I had some bad bad luck let me tell you..

When I moved to Portland I expected to eventually live that more uptown lifestyle on the MAX line which is their main transit system for getting around. Its like a big Lowell in comparison and appears nicer if your in the more city area but I quickly learned that wasn't the case. In fact in the place I rented in Portland where I rented a room, it was no different and even worse than where I lived in frikken Billerica! Imagine that? I was like goddamn I came all this way only to find I was living no differently at all than in the Lowell suburbs with my Dad and my roommate was nicknamed Anal Andy if that says anything.. he was like an Anal big brother type who would return your crumbs to your bed if you forgot to clean up. I thought my dad was anal about stuff, but he took it to another level even lol. Good roommate, but damn.. It felt no different than living with my dad at times or even worse.. He was sort of like my Uncle in Cambridge though kinda childish, took pride in being an ******* kinda thing but at least he told you to your face.. He was a rarity for Oregon but he always used to mock my Boston accent big time.. I kid you not. He made me sound like an Englishman with his overexaggerations lol.. you can be out of your parents house, but sometimes things don't really change depending on your circumstances or if you're in a condition where you cant find work or what have you so I am at the point where nothing can get worse, I can get back home and the worst I will have to deal with is the winters I haven't lived with for awhile but again, no biggie.. I could be in Oregon alone driving in a real foggy winter somewhere with no family nearby and total my car too with very little snow on the ground so.. pros and cons.

I have lived an adventurous life so far..tons of struggles though I must warn..my life is probably moreso adventurous and filled with traveling and moving and drama with parents more than anyone where I grew up I'd say. I am a typical person raised in a Catholic family.. I've had conflicts with both my parents, the only difference is as I age, I see things a bit more like my dad where I can get along with him better than I did when I was younger but man, its been bad sometimes with family drama.. I kid you not. I probably rival Fitzy01821 from Billerica haha. Hes been outside of New England visiting cities although not moving much. Also that brings up another point. I could be a future celebrity from Billerica kinda like he is depending on the kind of flexibility I am allowed.. I have the charisma and I am on a developing media team right now but I won't say its name but I am just starting to do online broadcasts. I want it to be a secret for now though until you get to know me if that happens. I am a typical catholic though.

I thought Billerica was boring at a time, but now it doesn't look so bad plus my dad lives right on the Burlington line and not far from Lowell either so theres LOTS to do in reality but sometimes you have to travel some to change your outlook on life. it baffled me big and I declared my time on the west between there and CA a living hell. Thats my story.. I am spilling my guts because well, I am from MA and we are honest people. I can't think of anything worse than a constant stifler who never tells you how he or she feels and theres plenty of this out West. More than I experienced in FL even and its really really annoying. I get more mad actually when I see that everyone is blank all the time or always looking at me weird/scared if I do act out. It weirds me out almost like in the horror movies like The Hills have eyes. I antagonize the neighborhood dogs and bark at them right the hell back and growl at them haha and I know I can because nobody will yell at me lol.. they keep their prejudices in home and to themselves but I know because of this, I've been out of place and pretty mad about it even more but some of the most prejudice people live out here.. I can be racist and I have been in my own right, but these folks are silent about it. They will protest illegal immigrants at the right venue and ***** about it online all day on Craigslist but when they aren't doing it, keep real silent about things like its not in their nature like if they go to a store or something. Its like a Western version of the KKK without the sheets the way people operate like Sheriff Joe in AZ. They will picket Home Depots, film the Mexicans who are working there "illegally" but the minute you ask them about racism on their radio show, they turn around and go oh no I'm not a racist! Never! We let Hispanics into our Tea Party! lol. I just don't think illegals should be here and this and that. and these same people give these mexicans business by eating at their restaurants.. hypocrites. At least be real about it since we all are to some extent. Truth is, I feel like I am more like a Latino American here than I do a "white" person and I am Italian mostly too so.. pretty much if you aren't Anglo Saxon, its tougher here... hardly any Irish/Italian/Polish Catholics like back home.. If you try to tell someone what you think is wrong with the area, they have a very Get the **** out if you don't like it mentality. I can notice flaws and when you bring it up to some people, they turn a blind eye and tell you that the door is there. In OR its like, well come back and visit us again.. Oregon welcomes you! is the sign that greets you when you drive in. When you leave, it says Leaving Oregon, come back again.. or something. Their motto is Come visit, just don't stay. Its very deceiving politeness out west that can trick you into thinking you'll have a real pleasant move and the scenery can get you too and how friendly people seem AS A VISITOR. Living there, it changes completely and people get ruder...again like the Hills have eyes like I said before kinda. At least in MA what you see is what you get ALWAYS and I can appreciate that even with all the negatives it may have. Thats always the safe bet, less adventurous and predictable? totally but its better to be like that in the long run.

Also the MA economy does better than out west. I can move back and get a job in a month or 2 at the very most I will wait and my dad knows people too. Thats how it always been for me there but more towards Burlington it was or Billerica at times too. I checked MA unemployment and its more than half less what CA is like at 5.50% vs 11.50 or something. MA also is not a welfare state either. 50% of the people are on welfare in CA. I would be much closer to getting on my own sooner by moving in with my dad and then getting a place near him so I can help him if he needs me or something but in CA, I cant get my own place and I don't want my mom and stepdad paying for me either. I refuse that kind of help which I think is admirable. I don't want to be "subsidized" by my folks even if I have the option if things got totally bad. I tried it once and I hated it. I lasted 3 and a half months doing it because pride got in the way. I sell stuff on the side while I collect SSI and I might make some money at that online thing I mentioned. You do what you have to do to survive though. I take in 700 a month + extra right now and I am in pretty good shape so it could be worse I guess.

I am too animated for this part of the country and I feel I need to be back home soon so, I'd like people to tell me some similar experiences if they have them.. TY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 04:45 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,847 times
i hope that you make it back home. but yea if i'm corrct commieforina has the highest unemployment rate in the us. the thing that got me is when they wanted to give the illegals drivers licences. i'm sorry on that one i say deport there asses out of here and make em apply for citizenship. but i also say before we let anymore over here no matter from what country we need to worry about ourselves first!! i guess they think the grass must be greener on the other side when it's not the entire world is having problems some places harder than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts