Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It doesn't belong on this list, but one downtown that could be and should be is Taunton. Between the the green and much of the architecture around there the place is one of the most beautiful DTs in the state IMHO. It has all elements needed to be a vibrant place except for the sorry state of city itself, it's like the place is cursed or something.

Also, if we are going to be talking about little towns like Ipswich and Rockport; I think Hingham should be added to that list.

OK, I guess I'll think of a quick list:

Downtowns that are "there" now

1)Boston

2)Cambridge (Harvard SQ.)

3)Waltham

4)Salem

5)Plymouth

6)Lowell

Almost there

7)New Bedford

On the way there

8)Worcester

9)Quincy

10)Lynn?????We'll see what happens

Yes, I included Cambridge, Quincy, etc. because the question was about "downtowns"; with no requirement that they had to be in seperate urban areas.

I omitted Newburyport, Hyannis, Rockport, Concord, etc. because they are just too small. I would call them "boutique pedestrian tourist areas" or something to that effect (I mean Edgartown? Please...) Maybe, just maybe Gloucester could join the other boys. After all, it is very similar to Plymouth (never mind this is getting too complicated now).

Now for a few that could one day be on this list that are physically large enough, and have other features that would allow them to function as downtowns in the current century if they one day get their act together (and for most that is a big "IF", and we're probably talking decades away anyway):

1)Springfield

2)Fall River

3)Brockton

4)Lawrence

5)Taunton

6)Attleboro

7)Framingham

8)Fitchburg

I am less familiar with places N of Boston like Medford, Melrose, Malden and Haverill so I left them out.

Same thing with most of W. MASS outside of Springfield (Amherst doesn't cut it).

If you're going to include Boston area cities, you should include the Union and Davis Squares in Somerville. The four towns you mention at the end aren't bad either.

I was just thinking that I'm thankful that I live in a state that still values many of its town centers, and with the recent push of TOD, I think the ones that aren't up to par will get better. Whenever I travel to many different states around the US, I'm always dissatisfied with the same old boring commercial strips that pass through boring suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 AM

24 posts, read 24,875 times
It has ALWAYS been Northampton, NOT Northamton or North Hampton. It is named after the one in England.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
Quote:
I've always traveled for fun, especially locally. When I lived in Boston, if it was accessible by commuter rail, chances are that I went on a weekend.
I think that's awesome. I think most people will spend thousands of $, and travel thousands of miles across the world, but will fail to notice what's most closest to them. People will go to Disneyworld or Mexico every year, but will never set foot in all the different fascinating places within just a few hours drive from their house. Even though some people would attempt to explore some of the most popular nearby places, most would never visit a random nearby town for no reason. This is why you are able to provide such good info to many people on this forum.

As far as tourists, I hear what you are saying, you want it to be functional for every day life. But I think functional+tourists is better, then just functional, because the less interesting a town is to tourists, the less interesting it is to me.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
As far as tourists, I hear what you are saying, you want it to be functional for every day life. But I think functional+tourists is better, then just functional, because the less interesting a town is to tourists, the less interesting it is to me.
My favorite "interesting places" are the ones not yet discovered by tourists. Davis Square (before the Cambridge invasion) comes to mind. Also some of my favorite beaches around are ones way off the radar of most tourists.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
If you're going to include Boston area cities, you should include the Union and Davis Squares in Somerville. The four towns you mention at the end aren't bad either.

I was just thinking that I'm thankful that I live in a state that still values many of its town centers, and with the recent push of TOD, I think the ones that aren't up to par will get better. Whenever I travel to many different states around the US, I'm always dissatisfied with the same old boring commercial strips that pass through boring suburbs.
I think that Boston area cities don't really have "downtowns" really, Cambridge, Somerville Brookline and Newton are really just collections of outer neighborhoods drawn into a city.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
Quote:
My favorite "interesting places" are the ones not yet discovered by tourists. Davis Square (before the Cambridge invasion) comes to mind. Also some of my favorite beaches around are ones way off the radar of most tourists.

I like historic properties, and downtowns with a lot to do. Those are hard to hide from tourists.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Quote:
Parker River National Wildlife Refuge FTW

Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I'm going to leave out Boston proper because there are a whole bunch of "downtown" areas depending on the neighborhood and it's sort of a defacto winner regardless.

1. Davis Square - Somerville
2. Inman Square - Somerville
3. Harvard Square - Cambridge
4. Northampton
5. Waltham
6. Salem
7. Amherst
8. Worcester
9. Arlington
10. Haverhill (I'm biased - my parents grew up there, I grew up idealizing the city, and I'm enjoying watching it clean up now)

Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Obviously Boston is number 1, but after that what would your list be?
1) Boston

Drop off

2) Springfield
3) Worcester
4) Lowell
5) New Bedford

Drop off

6) Salem
7) Haverhill
8) Gloucester
9) North Hampton
10) Newburyport

what do you think?
Manchester by the sea
Rockport
Falmouth

Old 12-08-2012, 02:50 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm going to leave out Boston proper because there are a whole bunch of "downtown" areas depending on the neighborhood and it's sort of a defacto winner regardless.

<snip>

10. Haverhill (I'm biased - my parents grew up there, I grew up idealizing the city, and I'm enjoying watching it clean up now)
I grew up in Haverhill as well, and IMO, Haverhill is on the edge of a rebirth. I know many residents see the possibilities-hopefully the elected officials have the vision to make it come true. Newburyport was once a gritty seaport, and there is no reason to believe that Haverhill can't have a similar make-over. There is so much to like, once you get away from the inner city areas. Beautiful Victorian homes, wonderful tree-lined streets, and both sides of the river from Methuen to Groveland is Haverhill, and on one shore, Haverhill runs all the way to West Newbury (at the Rocks Village Bridge)

When I was a kid/teenager, there were alot of stores downtown, but very little entertainment other than a couple of what I considered dive bars when I was in my 20s. Now, there are at least 20 restaurants on 2 or 3 streets, and that is just the western side of 'downtown' (Washington Street, vs. Merrimack Street where the shopping like Ben Cortells, Mitchells, Lady Grace, etc. used to be). Everything from Mexican (Tacos Lupita), fine dining (George's), ethnic (Wangs, Taste of Bancock, Royal India) to flatbread (Krueger), tapas (Bistro 45) and plenty of other choices like Peddlar's Daughter, Olivias, Tomos, etc. Even the reliable old standbys like Maria's and A1 Deli have their place in the NEW Haverhill. Add to that all of the great living areas downtown (over storefronts & restaurants, in the former show shops that we grew up seeing as dilapitated empty buildings... The train to Boston and Maine & a great new parking garage. What we need to see now is some fun retail to really help make Haverhill a destination city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts