Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 08:37 AM

25 posts, read 45,195 times

Advertisements

Hi,

What is the average pay for a substitute teacher in the Boston area, probably more the suburbs near Boston? I understand every district is usually different, at least in IL, I just want to get an idea.

Also, is substitute teaching really available or hard to find?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:28 AM

137 posts, read 239,575 times
School vacancies, including substitute teaching, are often posted here:

M.A.S.S. Job - SmartEDU

Here is an interactive map of school districts in Massachusetts:

Geographic Search

And if you Direct Message me about it, I have an Excel document with the "employment/jobs" page for every district in the state.

So, I'm sorry I can't give you a direct answer about substitute pay, but these are some pretty useful tools so you can find out for yourself.

Good luck!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
A long-term sub (like someone filling in for a maternity leave) will get a higher rate, but typical starting per diem substitute teacher rates in the Boston area are in the $60-80 per day range.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,516 times
Hi gosling357,

Do you still have that excel spreadsheet on substitute "employment/jobs"? Would you be willing to share it with me?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclecticactress View Post
Hi gosling357,

Do you still have that excel spreadsheet on substitute "employment/jobs"? Would you be willing to share it with me?
That member hasn't logged on to the site since September 2011. You might want to direct message them and maybe they'll get an email alert that they have a message. They may not it depends on how they have their settings.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
I would say the rates would depend on the school district and are usually rated with education and if you have your teachers license.

Schoolspring.com can list a fair amount of educational positions within the state. Having taken several MTEL's I can tell you that the vast majority of the test is in the prep guides. I'd argue that about 80% of the test is there. If you have majored in the subject (undergrad, graduate degree etc) in the subject then it should not be that difficult. It still takes time to study and plan out all the terminology. You don't have to go crazy on the essay portion, it is not a dissertation! Gradually more tests are going to be computer based so if you prefer paper I'd highly suggest taking some very soon. Chances are you'd end up waiting more from the state to give you your license then actual test results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts