Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM

19 posts, read 52,878 times

Advertisements

We had a home inspection with a radon test that came back with a reading just over 4.0.

Assume that either we (or the seller) will do some kind of remeditation to get the level down so the issue is resolved.

The question is would having the system in place negatively impact the value of the house for us for resale purposes in the future? I would think not, but I also have no sense for what other prospective buyers in MA think on this issue. How common are these kinds of systems and do they scare prospective buyers away? Could it (on its own) negatively impact value or resale?

I'm hoping that some real estate agents out there can weigh in.

The home is in metrowest market - close suburb to Boston.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
I've never seen anyone have negative view of a radon mitigation system. Radon is common enough that people don't get freaked out by it.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
Indeed, we put a radon mitigation system in our prior house and the eventual buyers certainly saw it as an advantage.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 AM

160 posts, read 571,611 times
We put a radon mitigation system in our house, and it was considered an advantage as well when we sold. High radon is fairly common and I don't think most people would perceive that as an obstacle to buy a house if a mitigation
system is in place.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Radon is rather common in the North East and isn't near a negative word like MOLD or TERMITES are! We sold a house for a client that was right on the cusp where it needed a system and the buyer was OK with a mitigation system being installed and went through with the sale. Other clients have had second thoughts. Still a radon system is better to have then say a dehumidifier constanly running because the basement is so damp. We have had houses where at a really high tide water comes into the basement. Talk about waterfront property!
Most people are OK with the radon mitigation systems once it is explained to them and they understand what that pipe is going up the side of the house.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Still a radon system is better to have then say a dehumidifier constanly running because the basement is so damp. We have had houses where at a really high tide water comes into the basement. Talk about waterfront property!
I'd call that an indoor pool.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 AM

15 posts, read 34,492 times
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd
Still a radon system is better to have then say a dehumidifier constanly running because the basement is so damp. We have had houses where at a really high tide water comes into the basement. Talk about waterfront property!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'd call that an indoor pool.
That's a good real estate agent for you:
Flooded basement = indoor pool
Termites = animal friendly
60 years without an update or remodel = evidence of long ownership pride
Located on the main highway (with impossible noise levels 24 hours) = easy access to the highway

I invite all readers to continue these thoughts - let's have some fun...

Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernani View Post
That's a good real estate agent for you:
Flooded basement = indoor pool
Termites = animal friendly
60 years without an update or remodel = evidence of long ownership pride
Located on the main highway (with impossible noise levels 24 hours) = easy access to the highway

I invite all readers to continue these thoughts - let's have some fun...
The smiley face indicates that I was joking.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 AM

15 posts, read 34,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The smiley face indicates that I was joking.
But, of course - so was I....

Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernani View Post
But, of course - so was I....
Your sense of humor comes across much better on the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts