Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
"They want to know if that is true, as they are now freaking out. They are ready to scratch Walpole and go with the Brockton house, despite it being a less nice town. What do you tell them?"...

This situation makes no sense because a family with two children who can afford to consider property in Walpole will most likely never ever consider anything in Brockton. A better one would be a house in Walpole versus a house in neighboring Canton, or Sharon. Here, the prison becomes real and relevant. I think anyone with a brain would choose Walpole over Brockton...but they are not in the same league, nor are they even comparable because one is a massive 93,000 + city and the other is a dinky little town of 24,000 or so people and very different socio-economic demographics. Silly scenario.
I agree although I'm guessing he thinks my theoretical scenario (two towns identical except one has a prison and one does not) was outlandish and therefore he proposed a theoretical he felt was equally outlandish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM

102 posts, read 450,125 times
I regard Walpole as sort of a modern day "It's a Wonderful Life" type of town. It's very close-knit, you have a well-defined downtown and neighborhoods, ponds, streams and woods often separating the neighborhoods instead of ugly buildings, and an overall spirit that can never be fully realized by just doing some online research. The downtown is nice with its town common, old-time pharmacy, a coffee house, bakery, and five full-service restaurants (with one more on the way). The public, often beautiful open spaces at Bird Park, Adams Farm and the Town Forest are quite unusual to see in a town within 20 miles of Boston. You might not see the off-the-chart ratings for the schools that you would in elite towns, but I believe more than 90 percent of the grads go on to college and there is clearly a strong community amongst administration, parents and teachers. Most importantly, people go out of their way to make the town special -- as an example, volunteers restoring the old Turner Lodge to create an idyllic setting for outdoor winter ice skating. The Recreation Department is incredibly active and the town and various organizations host many well-attended events throughout the year. Regarding the prison, it's really not an issue. I think, more importantly, you have to look at Walpole as a town with low crime. In closing, I have no vested interest in the town, but instead take the time to come to appreciate great towns and cities in this area. Walpole is certainly one of those towns -- and with a convenient location, halfway between Boston and Providence. Not too big, not too small, it's really an impressive community, in my opinion.

Last edited by Eric H.; 02-21-2013 at 03:25 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
I regard Walpole as sort of a modern day "It's a Wonderful Life" type of town. It's very close-knit, you have a well-defined downtown and neighborhoods, ponds, streams and woods often separating the neighborhoods instead of ugly buildings, and an overall spirit that can never be fully realized by just doing some online research. The downtown is nice with its town common, old-time pharmacy, a coffee house, bakery, and five full-service restaurants (with one more on the way). The public, often beautiful open spaces at Bird Park, Adams Farm and the Town Forest are quite unusual to see in a town within 20 miles of Boston. You might not see the off-the-chart ratings for the schools that you would in elite towns, but I believe more than 90 percent of the grads go on to college and there is clearly a strong community amongst administration, parents and teachers. Most importantly, people go out of their way to make the town special -- as an example, volunteers restoring the old Turner Lodge to create an idyllic setting for outdoor winter ice skating. The Recreation Department is incredibly active and the town and various organizations host many well-attended events throughout the year. Regarding the prison, it's really not an issue. I think, more importantly, you have to look at Walpole as a town with low crime. In closing, I have no vested interest in the town, but instead take the time to come to appreciate great towns and cities in this area. Walpole is certainly one of those towns -- and with a convenient location, halfway between Boston and Providence. Not too big, not too small, it's really an impressive community, in my opinion.
Well said, and for that reason I (and I speak for myself only) would buy in Walpole before Sharon, Canton and most other towns around there. Sharon schools might rank higher, but it has sort of a stuffy feel to it rather than that spirit you speak of regarding Walpole. You will get less for your money, pay higher taxes, and not have the same level of services/amenities (although Massapoag Pond is lovely). Canton is fine too, but again not the same community feel Walpole has. It just feels busier, and I'm not a fan of towns it borders such as Randolph, Stoughton and Dedham. Walpole is a good distance away from all of that. I know that sounds hypocritical to an extent (my own kind of irrational fears), but I think those things affect life in a town more than a prison does. Because of where Canton lies, you have all sorts of riff raff passing in and out of there at all times (despite Canton being a nice town itself). Walpole gets a nicer crowd both living and visiting there.

It really is a tough town to beat.

Last edited by massnative71; 02-21-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 03:02 PM

374 posts, read 655,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
I would like people to stop spreading "factoids."

Most of the schools within Massachusetts are producing the exact same results. 10 points in a difference between averages from one system to another system does not represent the success of a superior school system. The graduation rates from high schools are almost the same from school to school. The only exceptions are school systems such as FR or NB. Even Newton's high school completion rate is not so stellar; they do not graduate 100% as most would like to say as they look to the sky.

Only 80% of kids throughout Massachusetts graduate within 4 years. IT is pulled down by a few outliers such as the aforementioned.

The 5 year look-back survey shows very poor results for many of the towns. In 2010 60% of the graduating students throughout Massachussetts said they would attend a 4 year college. Given the prior trend at least half of those kids will not have completed their 2nd year of college in 2012. We will be easily down to 30% for actually heading towards their senior year. This is not relative to any particular school system. It is the common trend among the overwhelmingly majority of the school systems.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
I would like people to stop spreading "factoids."

Most of the schools within Massachusetts are producing the exact same results. 10 points in a difference between averages from one system to another system does not represent the success of a superior school system. The graduation rates from high schools are almost the same from school to school. The only exceptions are school systems such as FR or NB. Even Newton's high school completion rate is not so stellar; they do not graduate 100% as most would like to say as they look to the sky.

Only 80% of kids throughout Massachusetts graduate within 4 years. IT is pulled down by a few outliers such as the aforementioned.

The 5 year look-back survey shows very poor results for many of the towns. In 2010 60% of the graduating students throughout Massachussetts said they would attend a 4 year college. Given the prior trend at least half of those kids will not have completed their 2nd year of college in 2012. We will be easily down to 30% for actually heading towards their senior year. This is not relative to any particular school system. It is the common trend among the overwhelmingly majority of the school systems.
I'm not sure what this has to do with Walpole, or the prison or if you are in agreement with the previous post? Yes, most suburban schools have about the same rate of graduation.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
I can't remember the last time I heard of an inmate escaping from Norfolk or Walpole or Concord MCI. Does anyone want to fact check?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I can't remember the last time I heard of an inmate escaping from Norfolk or Walpole or Concord MCI. Does anyone want to fact check?
I did a Google search when the conversation started and the only thing I could come up with was a foiled escape attempt from Walpole in'08. Otherwise I didn't really get any hits but I didn't dig too deep.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
I lived in Walpole for over 19 years and found it a great community. Prisons were a non-issue. I would go for Walpole any day over Brockton which has way more crime and is 3 times the population of Walplole.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I lived in Walpole for over 19 years and found it a great community. Prisons were a non-issue. I would go for Walpole any day over Brockton which has way more crime and is 3 times the population of Walplole.
No one is actually comparing Brockton to Walpole. That was a theoretical situation. I think everyone here agrees that the prison is a non-issue. My argument is that the prison is an issue in some people's minds and only in their minds. However, to these people it's a large enough issue that they will not look at Walpole.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,640 times
I have to chuckle at the generalities of this verbal tennis match. Why not discuss specifics? I have lived in the area most of my life and offer these observations about Walpole.

The town most certainly has the "wonderful life" ambiance. It has a first class DPW, an excellent fire department, highly skilled EMS and an incredible recreation department. The schools, while not in the league of neighboring Westwood, are improving. Westwood home prices and taxes make Walpole look like a bargain. There is a lot of bang for the buck in Walpole, more than any of the neighboring towns. Open space in Walpole is excellent although somewhat over-managed and regulated. Speaking of regulation, the police department has a very strong "we and them mentality" which earns them no more than a fair rating. Historically, it has been the towns greatest weakness.

Sports programs in the schools are inspired. Walpole teams are famous for success against schools from much larger communitites. Sports are a huge part of the town and have enormous support.

The prison issue is really a non-issue for town residents other than helping to reduce taxes. The comparison to Canton and Sharon is not really a comparison. Canton and Sharon only wish to have the attributes of Walpole. There is always Westwood, Medfield and Dover....incredibly expensive and Needham or Dedham....extensions of Boston with the congestion and traffic.

Incidentally, I live in Westwood and, if I was starting another family, I would move to Walpole and use the money saved for a vacation home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts