Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:34 AM

18 posts, read 54,921 times

Advertisements

So I've never been one to complain, look down on, or judge people. But as a young professional I am finding it impossibly difficult to find reasonable housing on the Cape. $1200/mo is out of my budget and would be irresponsible, never mind I would live month to month without making progress. And every apartment complex won't accept me because I am over the income guidelines.

I viewed plenty of slums, especially in the Hyannis area. Some of the illegal rooms in homes I looked it have a microwave, maybe hot plate, not only do I love to cook but how do you save money if you eat out all the time?

So I'm beginning to conclude Cape Cod is only for the wealthy and those on welfare. I find it quite sad. I don't want to live in a party house full of people drinking and doing drugs. Yet I don't want to live in someone's basement without a kitchen.

I am a young, responsible, friendly professional adult.

Is this what I have to expect on the Cape?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 01:28 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
I feel for you Steve. It's a very expensive place to live but so is most of Massachusetts. Did you try Craigslist? Hyannis is tough. I think if you are looking at mass advertisements and are finding cheap housing, it's cheap for a reason. Did you call any local real estate offices? You might want to try Sanddollar in Sandwich. It's a start. Someone might be able to help you out.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:36 PM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
I know Cape Cod can be expensive, but I don't have experience with renting there, so I can't really say much one way or another about it.

Where are you working? Would you be able to commute from the other side of the canal? Renting in Bourne (Sagamore Beach area) or Onset/Wareham or even South Plymouth could put you within commuting distance of much of the Upper and Mid-Cape. You'd also be able to do better than $1200/mo as well. Summer traffic could be a pain, but for the bulk of the year, a commute to, say, Hyannis from one of these areas just over the bridges would be in the ballpark of 30-40 minutes.

I'm sure that someone may have some better information regarding Cape Cod specifically. But maybe this alternative could work?

Also, I checked the Cape Cod craigslist page for rentals and set a cap at $950/month. I didn't have much trouble turning up a decent number of results. You've probably seen them all already, but here are the search results.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 PM

Hey thanks guys, sorry if some of that seemed like venting. I did look at some of those cheaper options from craigslist and they were not the nicest. Everyone tells me suck it up winter rentals are cheap but personally I was hoping to have one place to call home and not move every time the season changes.

The company is helping me out. And I have started to look off Cape. Wareham/Plymouth seem okay for commutes. I'd only be going into Sandwich so not the worst. Just frustrating and the start date is coming up soon.

Quick question: I am suppose to see some places in Yarmouth and Dennis; any word on that commute? To Sandwich.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:38 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
What are your start and end times at work? If you are coming to work early in the morning, you won't have an issue. Route 28 is a pain in the neck but you can learn back roads. Rainy summer days 28 backs up because people are looking for something else to do. Beach days, you will see the rush to and from beaches around 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Dennis and Yarmouth has lots going on for a young person in summer. It does get quieter in the off season but the trade off is smooth sailing to work and you have close proximity to Hyannis where there is year round action. I would personally avoid Wareham, you have to deal with the traffic on the canal roads and then cross a bridge. Plymouth would be better but to get anywhere near civilization you will be up at exit 4 or 5. I think you are better off further down Cape in the DY area. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:03 AM

Ah thanks beachcomber! One of the places was in Dennis North of 6, so I don't think I would have to deal with 28. The job is on 6A in Sandwich. I would probably be going into work for 7/8am and leaving around 5ish most days. If the commute isn't horrible I just have to decide if gas/car maintenance is worth the 40-50 miles or driving every day. Though I feel like Dennis would be more Cape Cod-y than Sandwich.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:36 AM

422 posts, read 1,475,953 times
Try renting off the cape since sandwich is very near the bridges. There are condo apartments around bourne area near the bridges....

Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 AM

39 posts, read 74,282 times
If you can find a retired couple renting out a mother in law apartment, that would be ideal. And if you could stay on the north side of the Cape, 6A,that would be great for year round living.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,913,006 times
Its called the seasonal shuffle. People live in two to a room in the summer and can rent huge homes for cheap in the winter.

One months rent could rent a lot of places on the cape for a week in the summer.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:20 PM

7 posts, read 17,852 times
good luck my college grad professional drug free 24 year old is heading off cape, and down to the carolinas in search of a better more equitable cost of living. another great young one lost to the lack of a decent life on the cape for twenty, thirty, and most forty somethings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts