Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,492 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Trying to choose between two properties with two kids (toddlers). One in chestnut hill / Newton Center - Bowen school. Other is Newtonville - Cabot school. Both are similarly priced. One is near Rte 9 (off on side st - not on it) other is next to high school - but not near main entrance. Commute to work is same. Planning to stay for 10 yrs at least if not more.

Which one has better resale value??
Is Bowen better than Cabot?
For future is Oak Hill better than Day and South better than North?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by add78 View Post
Hi all,

Trying to choose between two properties with two kids (toddlers). One in chestnut hill / Newton Center - Bowen school. Other is Newtonville - Cabot school. Both are similarly priced. One is near Rte 9 (off on side st - not on it) other is next to high school - but not near main entrance. Commute to work is same. Planning to stay for 10 yrs at least if not more.

Which one has better resale value??
Is Bowen better than Cabot?
For future is Oak Hill better than Day and South better than North?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Personally I like Newtonville village better. I used to live nearby off Rt-16 and always liked the vibe of the community. Very family friendly and down to earth. There is also the advantage of the commuter rail station in case you ever get a job in Boston. Chestnut Hill is very commercialized, has more traffic from Rt-9 and doesn't feel like a neighborhood.

In terms of the schools, they are going through a lot of change right now due to overcrowding issues. What's better in the future will most likely change based on which schools get renovated and whether redistricting occurs. I'm sure the realtors will chime in soon with more concrete answers.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 5,492 times
Thanks, Parsec.

One of us works in downtown so access to I-90 is better from Newtonville while Rte 9 into Boston would be rough given the traffic lights and having to go through Longwood - Huntington.

Is living next to a high school (side street not main entrance) a deal breaker for many folks? Not sure about that as some may like overlooking the field.
Agree that Rte 9 near Malls (Chestnut Hill / Atrium / the new Chestnut hill square) is not that quiet although this side street is nice n quiet cul-de-sac.

Very very difficult to decide.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM

109 posts, read 329,846 times
In addition to being a real estate agent, I also teach CPR and First Aid--and have been training the teachers at both these schools for nearly two decades. Based on what I know about both groups, you really can't go wrong with either decision. Good luck!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by add78 View Post
Thanks, Parsec.

One of us works in downtown so access to I-90 is better from Newtonville while Rte 9 into Boston would be rough given the traffic lights and having to go through Longwood - Huntington.

Is living next to a high school (side street not main entrance) a deal breaker for many folks? Not sure about that as some may like overlooking the field.
Agree that Rte 9 near Malls (Chestnut Hill / Atrium / the new Chestnut hill square) is not that quiet although this side street is nice n quiet cul-de-sac.

Very very difficult to decide.
That section of Rt 9 is going to be a hot mess for a while with all the new & exciting shops and restaurants opening at "The Street" and "Chestnut Hill Square."

Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 PM

21 posts, read 39,201 times
Agree with Mike re: traffic. The Rt 9 section of Chestnut Hill is going through some dramatic changes. Although the new stores and Wegman's is a huge draw, it is very difficult for me to see how this stretch of road is going to handle it (even with the addition of a 3rd lane on inbound side). I am afraid that there is going to be a moderate amount of overflow on the alternative roads as people try to avoid this area.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 AM

71 posts, read 171,472 times
boy, this is a tough choice.

Newtonville is more convenient to Boston, for sure. otoh, Newton South HS is great and smaller than north.

What kind of stores and how convenient do you want them to be? Newtonville is not so far from Russos in Watertown, and of course Whole Foods. But Chestnut Hill will have the Wegmans, and of course Whole Foods at Newton Center/Highlands isn't far.

Kind of depends on which side of Route 9, you'd be, from my perspective. The u-turns back and forth across Route 9 can get annoying if most of what you like is on the other side.

Newtonville has more of a village, but Chestnut Hill has lots more options (stores, new cinema, health clubs, etc.).

One think is this: I would definitely check into complaints to police department about high school loiters. Let me be really clear here: I've never heard that this is a problem at NN. It's just a classic theme for all highschools, everywhere, that kids need to find a place to hang out off campus. Or at least a certain subset of kids. Or maybe that was just in my days....old.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measured1 View Post
What kind of stores and how convenient do you want them to be? Newtonville is not so far from Russos in Watertown, and of course Whole Foods.

Kind of depends on which side of Route 9, you'd be, from my perspective. The u-turns back and forth across Route 9 can get annoying if most of what you like is on the other side.

Newtonville has more of a village, but Chestnut Hill has lots more options (stores, new cinema, health clubs, etc.).

This is definitely a big draw of Newtonville - it's more of a neighborhood feel. And I love Russo's (I haven't been there in over a year though!) Plus the commute will be better for the Boston-bound spouse.

I don't think living next to a HS is necessarily a bad thing, as long as it's not near the main entrance with a lot of car traffic. Being near a school adds to the community feel and your house will be "the hangout" after school. Yes, there will be more traffic for 15 minute spurts around school dropoff and pickup times, but this is better than the alternative of living off Rt-9. You said earlier the house is on a cul-de-sac, which is a pain if it's not off a main road that crosses over Rt-9 (such as Parker St.). If it's directly off Rt-9 then you'll have to deal w/getting onto Rt-9 in the construction zone to get anywhere, and make a U-turn to change directions.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
This is definitely a big draw of Newtonville - it's more of a neighborhood feel. And I love Russo's (I haven't been there in over a year though!)
I drove by Russo's a few weeks ago on a Sunday. There was a line of cars waiting to get into the parking lot. That ended any ideas I had of shopping there that day.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I drove by Russo's a few weeks ago on a Sunday. There was a line of cars waiting to get into the parking lot. That ended any ideas I had of shopping there that day.
LOL, when I lived in Nonantum I just walked over the Charles using a pedestrian bridge in the woods behind Russo's. Driving there on a weekend is absolutely crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts