Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:28 PM

18 posts, read 33,380 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about Southfield? I've read that it was a base, is being redeveloped, was off to a slow start - had school and water issues. Is it a nice place, are many houses selling, and what are the pros and cons past the history of getting there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:34 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
For any body in the area with info....the Southfield complex in Weymouth. Not Southfield, MA

Old 04-24-2013, 12:51 PM

thank you for the clarification!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Pros: All-new houses (can't vouch for the quality of construction.) Yes, the development is on land once occupied by the Weymouth Naval Air Station. The home prices are relatively affordable. It's not a long way from necessity (e.g. grocery) and other shopping (big-box stores, the huge South Shore Plaza in neighboring Braintree, and more.) You'd even be close to doctors' offices and the South Shore Hospital. Public transportation - the Red Line's Braintree terminal, as well as commuter rail and some buses - isn't far.

Cons: All new houses (notice the absence of a hyphen this time.) By definition this means all the residents are also new - no sense of "rooted-ness" or community. Route 18, which skirts the development to the west, was already congested for much of the day. The public schools are of middling quality and are perpetually outshone by those in wealthier nearby towns. In addition to the so-so educational system, it's an open question as to how well the city prepared for such a large subdivision ahead of time in other ways. Evidently there were "water issues," and one also has to wonder about how police + fire + public-works services were affected. Was there adequate environmental work done before land was broken for building?

"You could do better."

Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 PM

Thank you so much. This summary is just what I needed.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:47 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times

Old 04-27-2013, 07:25 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
According to the project's website Whitman Homes is the developer. You might want to Google the name and see what people are saying about their build quality.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 10,873 times
I have lived there almost a year and plan to move soon. For me the pros are that the building is new and the rooms are nice, you get a nice walk in closet, etc.

If you plan to commute to boston every day like I do, I have to say I have quickly grown tired of the commuter rail (which is about an 8 minute walk from the building). It runs at most once an hour and sometimes even less, so I'll often have to run to make it on time or else be stranded. I wanted the freedom of going to and from the city whenever I want, and in less time, which is the biggest reason I'm moving to quincy. That and the price, which is a little high for me right now.

It also takes FOREVER to drive out of this gigantic property. They have been constructing a much quicker road out for the entire time I've been here, so it will help when that's done. But I have been very disappointed to have to drive for 10 minutes before actually getting to the main road. Along those lines it also isn't very walkable to anywhere, if that matters to you.

Also, while the pool looks great in pictures, it is a complete joke. It is too small and shallow to actually, you know, swim in, and yet for some bizarre reason there must be a life guard watching over you while you wade. Not even worth it..

So, I would say if you're just looking to live in a nice new, safe building, you will probably love it. If instead you want to be located in a more happening area, you can find a place somewhere else for less money. Hope that helps a little!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:28 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Just saw this in a local paper and remembered this post. Audit finds lack of oversight, financial planning threaten SouthField development - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger

Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 PM

Thank you. All of this helps me take it off my list! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts