Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how people were up north? I live in the deep south and I have always been told that northerners were cold and rude..well I met a girl from up there and she seems very nice and I LOVE the accent and the way people talk up there, they also seem more educated to me. So I was just wondering, how people were up there in Massachusetts? I read somewhere that it's hard to make friends in places like Boston if you just moved because everyone is just doing their own thing..is there any truth to that statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Most do not fit the stereotype. Those who do are more sarcastic or stone-faced than other parts.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Most do not fit the stereotype. Those who do are more sarcastic or stone-faced than other parts.
Hey thanks for the response, I am very open to northerners since I seem to act that way and people down here whine and complain that I am too mean and blunt..but anyways, that's good to know as I am a sarcastic person too.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Hey thanks for the response, I am very open to northerners since I seem to act that way and people down here whine and complain that I am too mean and blunt..but anyways, that's good to know as I am a sarcastic person too.
You sound more like a north eastern person than a southern person and may like it here. IMO, people here (Boston/NYC) have a thicker skin and can therefore tend to be perceived as caring less and being colder. But, as with all places there are idiots here and good people here. But on the whole, Boston is a more intense city than other areas.

The other thing is, when talking about Boston (rather than all of Mass), many people here are from other places (both from other US States and many other countries). So, in and around the city you’ll get a big mix of cultures and some cultures are warmer than others.

I remember being on a business trip in Nashville. My company asked me to speak with the hotel and make sure I was getting the conference rate. I did but did not get a clear answer so I asked again, I got a response but still not clear, so I asked for clarification – each time I pushed a little harder. The guy broke down and said “Sir! If you just stop yelling at me I can try and help.” I was genuinely confused. I was very far from yelling, just getting more blunt and to the point each time so that it would be clear. But the guy got crazy agitated.

The thing about these types of cities (Boston, NYC, and others) is that they can be high stress and kind of action oriented. Things move fast here so we don’t have time for nonsense or fake pleasantries. Personally, I find it harder being in a place where people waste time and confuse things by being vague rather than getting directly to the point. They say things that aren’t direct so I am left needing to interpret their meaning and if that meaning is misinterpreted, they won’t tell me directly either. They’ll just suck it up and move on and I won’t even know what happened. It’s so much easier to deal with those who are clear and direct, even if some people interpret that as being cold and sharp. I do think this place is different from the South. People here care less and move on quicker, we don’t need as many friends I guess and it doesn’t bother us as much if someone gets upset because frankly, many people are crazy or jackoffs anyway. It’s ironic but this type of attitude is liberating and serves to form real relationships with people, rather than straw relationships that are based on fluff.

All that said, I really wouldn’t mind a young pretty southern bell in a sundress to serve me some iced tea.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
The thing about these types of cities (Boston, NYC, and others) is that they can be high stress and kind of action oriented. Things move fast here so we don’t have time for nonsense or fake pleasantries. Personally, I find it harder being in a place where people waste time and confuse things by being vague rather than getting directly to the point. They say things that aren’t direct so I am left needing to interpret their meaning and if that meaning is misinterpreted, they won’t tell me directly either. They’ll just suck it up and move on and I won’t even know what happened. It’s so much easier to deal with those who are clear and direct, even if some people interpret that as being cold and sharp. I do think this place is different from the South. People here care less and move on quicker, we don’t need as many friends I guess and it doesn’t bother us as much if someone gets upset because frankly, many people are crazy or jackoffs anyway. It’s ironic but this type of attitude is liberating and serves to form real relationships with people, rather than straw relationships that are based on fluff. ]
Well said.

We're not overly or artificially friendly, but definitely not rude. If you're polite to someone, they'll be polite back.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Well said.

We're not overly or artificially friendly, but definitely not rude. If you're polite to someone, they'll be polite back.
Impatience manifests as rudeness.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM

42 posts, read 90,151 times
G-fused is right. That's probably the most accurate description of how we are. I enjoy our culture of being direct, because it ensures that I don't waste time. However, this can be perceived as being rude or cold depending on where you come from (i.e. the South or the Mid-West). No one here cares how your day is going or wants to chat. I often ask myself why am I in such a rush to go nowhere? It makes me laugh sometimes, because we all think we don't have the time of day for anything. Even when driving, people will cut you off just so they can get to a stop sign or a red light. They might even honk at you for not driving 10MPH over the speed limit. That's just how it is.

The pace of life in NYC or Boston is light-years faster than the South. The cost of living is high as well, so you may want to visit a few times before you make your decision.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,261,685 times
I'm a northeasterner through and through (born in CT, grew up and live in MA), but also lived in Houston once and have traveled extensively throught the US. Stereotypes always contain SOME truth, but I've been told that I'm warm and friendly quite often, and I'm not really unusual for a New Englander. Truly, there are nice folks and jerks everywhere. I always make friends wherever I am, though it does make sense to check out the different stats about education, ethnicity, etc. for a particular region.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:44 PM

341 posts, read 672,343 times
Quote:
You sound more like a north eastern person than a southern person and may like it here. IMO, people here (Boston/NYC) have a thicker skin and can therefore tend to be perceived as caring less and being colder. But, as with all places there are idiots here and good people here. But on the whole, Boston is a more intense city than other areas.

The other thing is, when talking about Boston (rather than all of Mass), many people here are from other places (both from other US States and many other countries). So, in and around the city you’ll get a big mix of cultures and some cultures are warmer than others.

I remember being on a business trip in Nashville. My company asked me to speak with the hotel and make sure I was getting the conference rate. I did but did not get a clear answer so I asked again, I got a response but still not clear, so I asked for clarification – each time I pushed a little harder. The guy broke down and said “Sir! If you just stop yelling at me I can try and help.” I was genuinely confused. I was very far from yelling, just getting more blunt and to the point each time so that it would be clear. But the guy got crazy agitated.

The thing about these types of cities (Boston, NYC, and others) is that they can be high stress and kind of action oriented. Things move fast here so we don’t have time for nonsense or fake pleasantries. Personally, I find it harder being in a place where people waste time and confuse things by being vague rather than getting directly to the point. They say things that aren’t direct so I am left needing to interpret their meaning and if that meaning is misinterpreted, they won’t tell me directly either. They’ll just suck it up and move on and I won’t even know what happened. It’s so much easier to deal with those who are clear and direct, even if some people interpret that as being cold and sharp. I do think this place is different from the South. People here care less and move on quicker, we don’t need as many friends I guess and it doesn’t bother us as much if someone gets upset because frankly, many people are crazy or jackoffs anyway. It’s ironic but this type of attitude is liberating and serves to form real relationships with people, rather than straw relationships that are based on fluff.

All that said, I really wouldn’t mind a young pretty southern bell in a sundress to serve me some iced tea.

I label those types as passive aggressives....I am moving back to MA and was born in NY......I am an extremely impatient person. I am in SoCal, and as crowded and plastic as it is ...I sometimes find that people are excessively slow.....Passive aggressives that are politically correct on top of it.....Auntie Em from the Wizard of Oz.......I would prefer New Yorker any day.....in your face and not afraid to say what they mean or mean what they say..........(Bostonians toooo).....I detest people that have no backbone and have artificial politeness.....it actually makes me real angry. If you do not like some one...let them know it....he he he (except at work..lol)

Old 05-03-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Best compliment that I could get on this forum! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts