Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 AM

25 posts, read 137,662 times

Advertisements

What option should I go with? Fixed contract, Current, Capped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 01:44 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Regardless....

It is too late. Heat oil price is already close to $3. No sign of turning back to $2.60 a month ago.
Massachusetts

With US$$ low, production problem, china consuming more oil,...

Just hope for the best.... May be we'll get warm weather...

Old 11-01-2007, 02:03 PM

I know it is late. But if the price is going up, isn't a fixed contract better? However if the price can come down in later months, then a fixed contract is not a good idea. Anyways, no one knows.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 PM

270 posts, read 1,361,334 times
I looked into the fixed price contract and they wanted to commit us for 2 years, which I think is too long. But I agree it is scary to think about the oil bill. This is the first time we are heating with oil and I am running in the basement every 2 weeks to check and the heating season has not even started yet. And since you can not control the price you can very much control your consumption.....something all of America will painfully learn how to do. We have had these very high energy prices in Europe for years and have learned to live with less and use it more efficiently. It just drives me crazy if I have to heat the whole lower floor of my house but live mainly in two rooms. There are no doors in the open floor plan and the heat can not be shut off separately. So I heat the whole zone for nothing. And don't even get me started on the water waste, big SUV's, lack of public transportation, AC and so on....
Let's hope the winter will be warm.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:02 PM

213 posts, read 936,757 times
NOAA's long-term forecast maps show above normal temperatures are expected in upper New England (Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire) in October-December, while in the November-January period, above-normal temperatures extend from Maine through New Jersey, encompassing the entire Northeast.

In the January-March period, the New England region shows equal chances for above-normal, below-normal or normal temperatures.

Amid record heating oil prices, U.S. forecasts warm weather this winter - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2007/09/20/amid_record_heating_oil_prices_us_forecasts_warm_w eather_this_winter/ - broken link)

Old 11-01-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbeat View Post
I know it is late. But if the price is going up, isn't a fixed contract better? However if the price can come down in later months, then a fixed contract is not a good idea. Anyways, no one knows.
Since the price is already $3, the fixed contract would be at least $3.30. They will charge you at the max price. It is a bet... Past history says it usually goes up less than 20% from November. But, it really depends on how cold or warm the weather will be, politics, world consumption, ... etc.

Check out Mass Energy heat oil price trend graph...
Mass Energy Consumers Alliance (http://www.massenergy.com/Oil_Prices/Oil.Price.Check.cfm - broken link)

Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Since the price is already $3, the fixed contract would be at least $3.30. They will charge you at the max price. It is a bet... Past history says it usually goes up less than 20% from November. But, it really depends on how cold or warm the weather will be, politics, world consumption, ... etc.

Check out Mass Energy heat oil price trend graph...
Mass Energy Consumers Alliance (http://www.massenergy.com/Oil_Prices/Oil.Price.Check.cfm - broken link)
Guys, thanks for sharing! I moved to Mass a year ago...not very familiar with oil heating.

smarty, How is Mass Energy Consumers Alliance?

Old 11-02-2007, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbeat View Post
Guys, thanks for sharing! I moved to Mass a year ago...not very familiar with oil heating.

smarty, How is Mass Energy Consumers Alliance?
They are great. As you can see from the graph... this year is a little different. Their price is a little higher than the fixed price. The price went up so fast that it passes the fixed price. A very strange year.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:00 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
This is our first year heating w/ oil. We moved from a house heated w/ gas. I'm worried. We do have 5 separate heat zones but we're in a rental (thought we'd be here short term but it's not looking that way) and I don't think the house is insulated very well. I have to readjust my thermostats too. They're all out in the hallway and the bedrooms are warm. Almost too warm in the AM when the heat comes on.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:09 AM

213 posts, read 936,757 times
Would the purchasing of a programmable thermostat be helpful?

Programmable Thermostats : ENERGY STAR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts