Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM

121 posts, read 242,342 times

Advertisements

My husband does not want to move to Watertown for some reason, i dont want to move to Waltham, so Newton seems as the only city we both agree on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 AM

350 posts, read 1,090,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka View Post
There are no similar houses in Newton for that price...

Would you say it's a very bad location? I don't care about 95/masspike being so close....You can't hear it really...And i live right on Route 2 right now so i am used to a background noise...So what is so bad there in addition to highways? Is this area much worse then West Newton, for example? (I am looking at the upper part of Newton...)
Terrible traffic in that area - big congestion and jammed every day in that strip along Washington (Rt 16) from Exit 15 area to Newton-Wellesley Hosp. Not a desirable street from that perspective.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
My husband does not want to move to Watertown for some reason, i dont want to move to Waltham, so Newton seems as the only city we both agree on
Can you tell us a little more about your situation and what you're looking for in your next home and hometown? The more information you can give us here, the more helpful we can be.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Can you tell us a little more about your situation and what you're looking for in your next home and hometown? The more information you can give us here, the more helpful we can be.
Well, we live in Belmont, near route 2 exit 57...we are not forced to move, so we can continue looking for years
All our friends, kids activities, favorite places are in Newton... So we wanted to move closer...And we wanted a house with a bit different layout then the one we have now - just a matter of personal preference...kids will stay in their current school, so we can't move to Needham or such - to much traffic going to school and back...

Being in such a sleepy neighborhood for a long time - we now want to move to more urban setting... With sidewalks, stores, playgrounds etc...

Hope it all makes sense ))

Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Well, we live in Belmont, near route 2 exit 57...we are not forced to move, so we can continue looking for years
All our friends, kids activities, favorite places are in Newton... So we wanted to move closer...And we wanted a house with a bit different layout then the one we have now - just a matter of personal preference...kids will stay in their current school, so we can't move to Needham or such - to much traffic going to school and back...

Being in such a sleepy neighborhood for a long time - we now want to move to more urban setting... With sidewalks, stores, playgrounds etc...

Hope it all makes sense ))
That's very helpful information. So your kids go to private school? You mentioned they would still be attending the same school.

It sounds generally like Newton would be a great fit for you. However, your budget makes it extremely difficult to find a new construction home in a decent location. Would you be open to homes that are not new construction? You could get an extensively renovated older home in Newton in your price range that's in a nice location within your budget. Alternatively, you could get a very large new construction townhouse likely in a very nice part of town in that price range. Some townhomes really feel like single family homes except you share one perhaps two walls with another unit. Would either of these types of home interest you?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
That's very helpful information. So your kids go to private school? You mentioned they would still be attending the same school.

It sounds generally like Newton would be a great fit for you. However, your budget makes it extremely difficult to find a new construction home in a decent location. Would you be open to homes that are not new construction? You could get an extensively renovated older home in Newton in your price range that's in a nice location within your budget. Alternatively, you could get a very large new construction townhouse likely in a very nice part of town in that price range. Some townhomes really feel like single family homes except you share one perhaps two walls with another unit. Would either of these types of home interest you?
Yes, private school in Lexington. And yes, i actually dont usually like new houses, much prefer renovated victorian (high ceilings, bay windows, lots of character...)...The new construction house i showed in this topic is the first new construction house ever that i loved-loved-loved....The finishes, layout, style...everything....but the location

Anyway, we don't have a strict preference...We just need to fall in love with the house/townhouse...ANd it's very hard to do when houses go so fast....

Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, private school in Lexington. And yes, i actually dont usually like new houses, much prefer renovated victorian (high ceilings, bay windows, lots of character...)...The new construction house i showed in this topic is the first new construction house ever that i loved-loved-loved....The finishes, layout, style...everything....but the location

Anyway, we don't have a strict preference...We just need to fall in love with the house/townhouse...ANd it's very hard to do when houses go so fast....
Yes. This market is highly competitive. In many parts of Newton, $1M+ is not a particularly high price point so competition for these homes can be fierce. I find, if you love a home, you know it when you walk in the door. In this market, you just have to make sure you get in the door quickly. It's really important to "have all your ducks in a row" before you go to see a property.

I firmly believe (based on what you've said so far) that you can get what you want in your price range. It's just a matter of the right house popping up.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 PM

Thank you so much!
We'll keep looking!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,589 times
I think that's a great location. It's buffered from the MT by a series of trees both along the highway and local. It's walking distance to the post office, a spiffy grocery, a real bakery, banks and some good food at Tom's and the Pines. It's local to some great parks, the Charles for boating and the bike trail head to Boston. It's easy access to trains, bus routes and Riverside Station, major highways and gas, and in a good neighborhood with the Williams School. Not shabby at all. A lot of homes in the area are being or have been recently overhauled. I'd recommend considering it.

We've lived in the same area for umpteen years. The convenience been just great!

Old 07-21-2013, 01:54 AM

7 posts, read 11,348 times
I am totally confused by your post, Nonantum and West Newton(south) are considered the lower end villages. My mother got a condo in West Newton for 400K and most houses on the street are 300 to 500k. Nonantum has houses cheaper than this even and is more faded than other parts of newton. The area of West Newton I was at was a little bit run down but I was okay with that being from Malden. West Newton hill is more upscale. Auburndale is nicer than west newton and nonantum but houses are usually not much more expensive there. Parts of Newton that border Waltham are cheaper. The schools are very overrated and are pretty much like any other suburban school system. Its really overcrowded and Newton is having a hard time keeping up with the influx of people. Affordable Housing Programs are becoming more common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts