Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 01:12 PM

7 posts, read 18,626 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I want to buy a house in Lynnfield MA. Problem is we are Chinese and after doing some research I found only 3% population in Lynnfield are asian, 92% are white. We like different races perople as long as they are good nice. Anyway, I want to know if Lynnfield is a Chinese welcome neighborhood. No offence its just most of the Chinese will buy houses in Winchester, lexington, newton. And we don't want to spend that much money on house that's why we want to buy house in lynnfield and we don't understand why asian don't buy house in lynnfield afterall it is a nice shool district..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 02:38 PM

100 posts, read 219,186 times
My wife and I are Asian too, and I personally know at least one Chinese family who lives in Lynnfield, but you're right that it doesn't have much diversity. I've considered off and on whether to extend my housing search to Lynnfield. Its drawbacks to me include:
-not much (i.e. none) of a town center
-need to travel out of town to do shopping (though it has very convenient highway access)
-limited diversity
-further from Boston
-slightly less prestigious public school system
-septic system rather than town sewer (this was a big deal for my wife)
-seems to be more swampy/more mosquitoes

Its largest advantages are that it's probably at least 15-20% cheaper for a comparable property, there are newer/bigger houses there, and it's much easier to find a large enough and flat piece of land. I see from an older post that you and your husband work in Lynnfield, and I would strongly consider buying in Lynnfield for the convenience. It'd be so much more convenient to commute compared to at least Newton. For what it's worth, I checked out a neighborhood in Lynnfield. When I pulled over and spoke to an older couple who was talking to their neighbor, they were very friendly, and I did not get any feeling that they would be against having an otherwise nice family move in just because of what they look like.

Last edited by Allharv; 06-10-2013 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 09:01 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
I am a white male and I live in Lynnfield. Admittedly, the town has a small minority population. Chinese, Japanese and Indian, however, make up a larger percentage of the minority population than either black or Hispanic.

The biggest minority in Lynnfield is Liberal Democrats . The town is notoriously conservative and votes overwhelmingy for Republican candidates in state and national elections. That makes it very different than Lexington or Newton, for example.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 AM

23 posts, read 69,349 times
we are considering Lynnfield as well (to rent or buy)... what's the story with MarketStreet? looks like there will be a lot of shopping/restaurants fairly soon? i'm not from the area, so i'm going by what I saw online.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:19 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Andover might be more international than Lynnfield.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 14,482 times
In general, most good towns are Asian friendly. After all, the more Asian move in, the higher the property value will go. With more Asian, the school district's performance will be better, which in turn will attract more Asian coming in.

Lynnfield is very nice. Lack of Asian population is actually a plus, which means your kids will face less competition. But you are still not very far from traditional Chinese communities, such as Lexington and Winchester. And FYI, Winchester's popularity to Asian is only a recent phenomena. It used to be just Newton and Lexington. Who knows if Lynnfield will become another favorite for Asian 20 years from now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm6688 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I want to buy a house in Lynnfield MA. Problem is we are Chinese and after doing some research I found only 3% population in Lynnfield are asian, 92% are white. We like different races perople as long as they are good nice. Anyway, I want to know if Lynnfield is a Chinese welcome neighborhood. No offence its just most of the Chinese will buy houses in Winchester, lexington, newton. And we don't want to spend that much money on house that's why we want to buy house in lynnfield and we don't understand why asian don't buy house in lynnfield afterall it is a nice shool district..

Old 06-15-2013, 06:15 PM

325 posts, read 486,692 times
You'll be fine in Lynnfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts