Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 02:32 PM
2MA 2MA started this thread

3 posts, read 3,634 times

Advertisements

We are moving to MA. Spouse starting a job in Andover. I have a sister who lives in Sharon, MA. I am from south of Boston, and both spouse and I went to college in Boston/Cambridge and lived our younger lives in Back Bay/Brookline. Loved it there. Fast forward 30 years, we have two teens. One is 16 and at a boarding school 3 hours from say, Kenmore Square. Our 13 year old is the issue. He is entering 8th grade in September 2013. We had planned on letting him finish 8th grade in public school and then apply to two private high schools where we are now. But now we need to consider towns, public v private, commute for my spouse, and being near my sister. I also love Sharon, MA. But that would make my husband's commute terrible. I currently live in an upscale, "desirable" highly competitive ex-urban town that I do not like. I want my 13 year old to be in a smaller (less than 1000 if possible, high school). He's very smart, but he is into his instrument, not sports, video games like every other boy, art, - just not sports. Moving into a HS that is all sports all the time worries me. (Sounds like I am generalizing; I am sorry, but a big HS that self segregates more than others, I guess). The west of Boston towns are great, but pricey, competitive, and HS are large, so I am in need of suggestions. Wish I could give you a price range. Income is changing. We might rent for a while if we need to save some. I am thinking $450K-$650K. Advice on private schools is welcome too. I just really don't want to live so far from my sister in Sharon and so far from my own comfort zone. Also, we need to be able to get into the Boston hospitals easily. We have medical needs. Lots of appts. I am a SAHM. Or at least will be for a while after we move. HELP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 07:32 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Let's see...

Commute to Andover

Good highway access to visit Sharon

High school enrollment under 1000 with a good arts program

Housing budget up to $650K

There really aren't too many towns that fit the bill; Bedford, Stoneham and Lynnfield may be worth a look.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:55 AM

We are considering Bedford. Thoughts on Bedford? Looks great on paper.

Seriously! The work location in Andover is really posing a problem for us. Beautiful, historic and many expensive towns, much like west of Boston, but we just don't know anything about them. Might as well be moving to an totally unfamiliar state. Newton, which would always be our preference, to rent or buy a smaller town home or condo, is just too far and a horrid commute from/to Andover. We are from MA, but west and south, we are clueless about north. So frustrating. Thank you for your thoughts. More????

Old 06-16-2013, 08:56 AM

Oh, and thank you.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:55 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Wayland comes to mind.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
My five cents. Your husband commute is happening every day ( I will assume) and probably should take precedence over being close to Sharon. Any way you slice it, commute will be hellish if you stay South, more to the South and West. I would recommend Andover or North Reading. North Reading is small school district, but well regarded.Good Luck!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
My five cents. Your husband commute is happening every day ( I will assume) and probably should take precedence over being close to Sharon. Any way you slice it, commute will be hellish if you stay South, more to the South and West. I would recommend Andover or North Reading. North Reading is small school district, but well regarded.Good Luck!
Good honest advice given here. (Could not rep you kinggeorge due to too many recent reps.)

Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Sharon to Andover commute is one worth slicing your wrists and bleeding out over versus doing it daily or even weekly.

Andover is a good choice. The public schools are good. You could kick it up a notch and sent him to Phillips Andover as a day student or even really kick it up some and send him to the Brooks School in North Andover.

PS

North Reading is also a reasonable cost, good alternative selection. Whitey Bulger and the Angiulo's used to bury bodies in North Reading, so you might be close to some long lost relatives.....LOL

Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 PM

229 posts, read 384,884 times
Andover, Topsfield, Lynnfield, Winchester. All great schools. Topsfield should be the most rural, but excellent HS. Winchester is close to activities and hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts