Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are best doughnuts?
Honey Dew Donuts 3 5.66%
Dunkin' Donuts 15 28.30%
Top Donut 2 3.77%
Heav'nly Donuts 1 1.89%
Independent Shop (please specify) 11 20.75%
Supermarket Brand (please specify) 3 5.66%
Krispy Kreme 11 20.75%
Other (please specify) 7 13.21%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM

578 posts, read 572,750 times

Advertisements

One way to tell if your donut shop has potential - ask for a Chocolate Raised donut. If they have no clue what you are talking about, then they probably don't make them there themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 01:19 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

Vista's in S. Attleboro fresh and free with a coffee purchase (thanks to their ridiculous lottery sales)!
Can you give me a landmark that Vista is near?

Thanks.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:41 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Can you give me a landmark that Vista is near?

Thanks.
Rte. 1 NB just N of the state line/just S of 95. There is some type of a used car place on one side, an adult entertainment store and a Days Inn on the other.

Well looks like Dunkin Donuts is in the lead. Either we really are in the end of times, or there are a few DD franchise owners on C-D.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:56 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Well looks like Dunkin Donuts is in the lead. Either we really are in the end of times, or there are a few DD franchise owners on C-D.
Or people from Connecticut are visiting this forum and voting for DD.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:53 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Or people from Connecticut are visiting this forum and voting for DD.
Dunkin serves used mopwater and calls it coffee.

Their donuts have become a shameful facsimile of the real thing.

Strange that they remain so popular in spite of a purposeful and cynical forfeit of their quality, in the name of corporate homogenization, since the 80s and 90s. M@ssaholes should man up and admit that Dunks sucks. Anyone who has ever bothered to taste independent roaster coffee or the rare and endangered mom and pop doughnut shop could tell you that.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:15 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post

Very true!

Quote:
Strange that they remain so popular in spite of a purposeful and cynical forfeit of their quality, in the name of corporate homogenization, since the 80s and 90s. M@ssaholes should man up and admit that Dunks sucks. Anyone who has ever bothered to taste independent roaster coffee or the rare and endangered mom and pop doughnut shop could tell you that.
I could not have said this in any better way. One has to wonder if DD was headquartered somewhere else how popular their coffee and other products would actually be. I think the loyalty to DD is almost akin to people staying with abusive spouses.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:24 AM

Marketing, habits. Their coffee is an acquired taste (that nutty flavor), while I swear it has gone way downhill over the years.

Their "donuts" are a complete sham unless all you desire is flavored sugar and fat. They are not even fried (which a donut must be) yet they contain the same amount of artery clogging fat probably. I'll just have a Drakes thank you (for much cheaper) if that's what I want.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
M@ssaholes should man up and admit that Dunks sucks.
When it was a local thing it was still good. Now they have them in S. Korea for cripes sake! It's the result of overexpansion and mass production. Reminds me of how good Boston Market (formerly Boston Chicken) was back in the day. Now as a national McD's brand, absolutely horrible.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:19 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Mrs. Murphys Donuts in Southwick wins hands down!

Old 12-30-2013, 08:19 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Their coffee is horrible. For some reason though . . . I love their iced coffee. Also, I'd probably rather drink DD coffee than Pete's or Starbucks. Drinking Pete's coffee is like eating the grounds right out of the filter. Ideally, I'd like to give my money to a local coffee shop but there isn't one in my neck of the woods unless you count the bagel shops which have equally bad coffee to DD.

Quote:
Ever since they started centralizing production and trucking the donuts to the shops they've been absolutely awful. This being said, I don't think DD really cares about the quality of their donuts. Donuts are not where DD makes their money. They sell far more coffee and sandwiches and these items have higher margins as well from what I've read and from talking to DD corporate employees. Donuts are merely an afterthought now in their business plan.

Quote:
People aren't going for their donuts. A lot of people also seem to like their coffee a lot even though the reason behind that is a mystery to me.

Personally, I hope donuts are the next cupcake. A few years ago, you couldn't buy a cupcake anywhere if you wanted to. Now there are probably close to a dozen dedicated cupcake shops within a short drive of my house. All we need is a TV show dedicated to donuts similar to Cupcake Wars and we'll have donut shops on every corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts