Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 11,100 times

Advertisements

I know, I know, a very loaded, probably often asked topic. I will give you my particular parameters. I am looking for somewhere walkable (restaurants, bars, coffee, maybe a park etc), I don't have kids so schools are not a concern and I am looking to rent, not buy. I am a field service tech and I travel all over so geography is not a huge concern but centrally located with easy highway access is better. I do not need to be near a T or commuter rail stop, that's a plus but one you seem to pay for also. Urban vibe is a plus, low crime is of course a plus (I want to at least feel safe walking home for a restaurant in the evening). I really want to be able to walk my dog after work and maybe go out an get a drink/dinner a few times a week without getting back in the car. My budget is unfortunately about $1200 to maybe $1300 all inclusive (tough call I know). I have been looking and this budget seems do-able givin that I am able to live with my friends long term while looking and could settle for a nice studio but would of course prefer a 1 bedroom or if necessary a roommate situation. Just not sure of the areas to concentrate on, it's pretty spread out and diverse hear.Throw some ideas out there, I love to research and again I have time! If you need more details just ask. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 04:58 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Probably Arlington. Good bus access to Cambridge, good car access to Burlington Mall and Wayside Commons and hi-tech employers. Very good restaurants, Spot (Spy?) Pond, a minuteman bike/walk trail, low crime, two libraries, middle class and some higher incomes, along with small number of low income pockets. Next to desirable Lexington, Cambridge, Belmont & Somerville.

CL regularly has a few basic studios for under $1100 there.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:21 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
Look at Salem! You will probably find more available in your price range there than in Arlington or most of the other walkable towns immediately surrounding Boston. It's very walkable and vibrant - arguably more than any other suburb - and also has a commuter rail station for easy access into the city. It's next to 128, but I could see why it would be less convenient for commuting around the metro area than a lot of other towns. Definitely worth looking into, though.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:20 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Waltham and Watertown for the most centralized location and having many informal places to get a bite to eat or meet friends for a drink might work for you.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:54 PM

392 posts, read 919,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Waltham and Watertown for the most centralized location and having many informal places to get a bite to eat or meet friends for a drink might work for you.
Second that, and rent should be less than Arlington. Many people scoff at Waltham because of the school system, but other than that it's a versatile town that has a lot to offer.
When you say you have time - when do you need to move? the rental / moving nightmare is coming up - the big day (or should I say big night?)is August 31 / Sept 1, so if you need a place by then you really have to start serious apartment hunting NOW. If you can wait, late fall should be good time. Keep in kind that no matter the time, good rooms / apartments for reasonable money are snatched up quickly.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:06 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,682 times
How far outside Boston are you willing to go? I can think of lots of towns, but some are farther from the Boston metro than others.

Arlington is a semi-dry town, which means there are no bars, and restaurants can only serve alcohol with a meal. Of course, you can go to bars in Cambridge, the next town over, but since you mentioned having neighborhood bars I figured I'd point that out.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:27 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
Stoneham and Wakefield. Also Lynnfield Swampscott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts