Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,831 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm considering a job in Haverhill but I cant find a lot of first hand information about the area. How is it? The schools? Any advice on rentals or real estate agents?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,671,525 times
Pronounced....Hay..Vrill

Old 08-16-2013, 02:15 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
Good Afternoon First, accufitgolf is correct in that pronunciation of my former hometown. Though I live in New Hampshire now, I visit Haverhill frequently, and still have many family members in the area. I like working in Haverhill because it gives me an excuse to drop by to visit Haverhill does have some beautiful neighborhoods, and some rather sketchy ones as well. Knowing the areas to avoid is important, as in most cities.

With several exits to Route 495 and the northern-most T-stop (MBTA-commuter rail to Boston), Haverhill's location and amenities has finally put it on the map and become more attractive to young professionals who are priced out of areas closer to Boston. The active downtown has several restaurants, pubs and independently owned businesses, and it can be challenging to find a place to park on occasion.

Increasing the school system's reputation has been challenging--several years ago, the HS lost accreditation due to physical conditions within the school, NOT teaching or score standards. If you require a school system with a better reputation, you could easily commute to a job in Haverhill from nearby towns like West Newbury, Georgetown, Andover, Newburyport, etc. In my opinion, even a mediocre school system can produce excellent students as long as parents are an ACTIVE part of their children's school experience.

Hopefully this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennipherf View Post
Hello! I'm considering a job in Haverhill but I cant find a lot of first hand information about the area. How is it? The schools? Any advice on rentals or real estate agents?

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2013, 03:03 PM

20 posts, read 42,414 times
Haverhill is a nice community that unfortunately gets a bad rep like most other cities in the area. Don't listen to anyone who says it's a scummy city. What most people don't realize is how BIG Haverhill really is, especially including Bradford. The downtown area is booming compared to when I grew up there in the 80's and more companies are starting to move into the area. Long gone are the days of abandoned shoe mills, crazy Mike and Dennis the hobo. The beach is 15 minutes away and you would be bordering tax-free NH. You can find a very urban downtown with lots of shops and lofts and on the outer ends of the city it becomes very rural farmland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts