Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:41 AM

10 posts, read 41,494 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband and I are looking at a house in Kingston, MA, and since we're now living in Jamaica Plain, we're a little worried about what we'll miss out on, not living in the city any more ... but we're really drawn to the area. Can anyone clue us in on interesting cultural happenings in the area? What are the people like? We're both musicians and relatively creative and we also wonder about fitting in. Any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 08:04 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,366 times
Default Changing face

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfandhalf View Post
Hi, My husband and I are looking at a house in Kingston, MA, and since we're now living in Jamaica Plain, we're a little worried about what we'll miss out on, not living in the city any more ... but we're really drawn to the area. Can anyone clue us in on interesting cultural happenings in the area? What are the people like? We're both musicians and relatively creative and we also wonder about fitting in. Any insight would be appreciated.
Don't know much about any artistic community in Kingston. Never considered it a place for artists. It just a nice quiet town on the south shore mostly for people who prefer to live in the suburbs and commute to the city when I lived a couple of towns up.
Granted I believe the whole south shore is changing from more of a blue collar area to more professional career people. So the opportunity maybe there for artists to have a bit more culture now.
As for the people. Well it a little cliquey in most of the south shore. It's easier is you have small children to break the ice with other people in the towns down there. But in general most people are nice and won't jump on your back for how you are or act. But I warn you, don't think you will make friends right away. Trust is something that is earned not given way. So if your not prepared to wait a while to have friends you will be disappointed. But the good news is that once you do make friends down here. You have them for life.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:33 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,996,166 times
You'll find that most of the arts will be found in Plymouth and on the Cape. Not a long drive at all. The Arts in Plymouth County, MA
I don't think Kingston or Plymouth are any more cliquey than any other small town. If you get involved with the local arts community I'd bet you'll make friends and have a very active social life.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:32 AM

17 posts, read 70,854 times
Default I live in Kingston

I live in and love Kingston. Plymouth, next town over, is very culturally diverse and artsy. Kingston is more homogenous, though the people are very nice and the general community has everything without fighting crowds and traffic.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:24 PM

Thank you, this is all great information. On average, what's your drive-time/commute like living in Kingston? We both work in Boston.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:39 AM

104 posts, read 490,166 times
take the train - the commute will differ based on what time you leave - but the commuter rail is in Kingston so take advantage!

Old 09-23-2007, 03:51 PM

Yes, I'd like to, but it seems much more expensive then carpooling. I will probably be working from home two days a week.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:53 PM

10 posts, read 75,365 times
The school system in Kingston is average at best. Kingston should get out of the Silver Lake district and have their own high school. You can send your kids to Sacred Heart or Thayer in Braintree.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:11 AM

84 posts, read 360,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrew26 View Post
The school system in Kingston is average at best. Kingston should get out of the Silver Lake district and have their own high school. You can send your kids to Sacred Heart or Thayer in Braintree.
Cbrew is correct about this. I was viewing the rankings of the schools on the south shore, and Silver Lake was one of the lowest! I never realized this. Now Silver Lake used to be Pembroke and Kingston (any other towns?). Now Pembroke has it's own high school. Is Silver Lake just Kingston now? Or am I mistaken with this?

Old 09-27-2007, 06:18 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Halifax, Kingston + Plympton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts