Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 01:59 AM

23 posts, read 117,462 times

Advertisements

One of the saddest news I've received was earlier on a Daily Photo blog of Boston - that the downtown redevelopment claimed as one of its victims - the original Filene's basement.

I grew up on that store and had always had the best quality for the least money (something that the store had spoiled me for the rest of my life - I simply can not bear to pay full price for anything)

Is there a possibility that it will reopen in the same way somewhere else in Boston? I know that they've opened branch stores on the East coast but those are not even similar to the original automatic bargain basement store I cut my teeth on as a consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 05:08 AM
LCT

24 posts, read 71,651 times
I think I read that the Basement is closed for renovations. There's a few others around in area malls, but none like the "original" with the automatic mark-downs. One can only hope that when the downtown store reopens, it will be run the "old" way. I admit I will miss the fire-trap decor; it was part of the charm. I will not, however, miss the little (and sometimes not so little) critters that made their home in the basement.....

Old 11-18-2007, 05:33 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,488 times
LCT is correct. Just doing renovations.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:42 AM

20 posts, read 119,578 times
Talking boylston

There is one on boylston street at the arlington stop. I have been there a few times and bought clothes for very good value- some sweaters, a down jacket for my husband and some fashion jeweleries. It's even better if you sign up with them because then you receive e-mails of special offer coupons. I got a 20% off coupon last weekend and saved about $50!

There is also a Marshall next street over... so you can kill two birds with one stone!

Old 12-02-2007, 04:19 AM

CapeCodCathy - I hope you are correct. Reading the main website I thought it was gone at the downtown location - period. I'll be going to visit my Mom in May and would love to spend some money there. As LCT had said - the "decor" WAS part of its charm - let's face it that was not what we went there for in the first place. It's the automatic bargains that you could always count on!! and would like to still. Cheers.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:50 AM

270 posts, read 1,360,633 times
Husband works down there and I saw it last weekend. They are currently doing the abatement and the area is stripped to the metal beams and floors, no walls left. I hope they can put it back together ha ha ;-) It will reopen in two years with FB in the basement, Retail and Condos in top. This comes from a reliable source.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haberstroh View Post
Husband works down there and I saw it last weekend. They are currently doing the abatement and the area is stripped to the metal beams and floors, no walls left. I hope they can put it back together ha ha ;-) It will reopen in two years with FB in the basement, Retail and Condos in top. This comes from a reliable source.
Now that is news to plan my visit back to the US for Thanks.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:20 AM

746 posts, read 3,498,642 times
The original Filene's "Automatic" Bargain Basement died many years ago when they stopped doing the 25/50/75/Free discount structure on many of their goods, though some merchandise still was sold that way. The original FABB specialized in moving last year's styles and retail overstocks using this formula, but over the years as TJMAX and Marshalls moved into the same market, their supply of clothes diminished, their prices increased, and the bargains became harder to find.

Eventually, as they expanded, they did the same thing that the discount chains did. Rather than closeouts they had clothes with famous labels made to order, but with lesser quality. The old stock from Saks, Bloomies or L&T had pretty much disappeared, but FABB pretended nothing had changed. It didn't take an expert to see the quality was different.

If FABB reopens, it will be likely more along the lines of their chain store versions, not the wonderful old institution I haunted for years.

Their reputation may carry them for a while longer, but this old hand at shopping knows the glory days are gone, and it is more marketing than real bargains these days.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:16 AM

Default litlux you break my heart

...call me pessimist, call me a realist - I tend to believe that you are right. So what happens to the merchandise that USED to be found there? I do enjoy going through TJMaxx and while in the DC area Hecht's (I understand Macy's had acquired them) and Nordstrom were certainly great places for bargains. I simply itch just thinking about paying full price for anything after Filene's spoiled me so. I'm heading back to visit Mom and my brother on the Cape this May (my last visit to the USA was 4 years ago and believe me all my clothes are thread bare that I bought then), so it is time to restock.

Wish all of you a great week-end.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:52 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
I lived in Boston and now live in Baltimore. A Filene's Basement just opened up in downtown. Not the same as the original but still one of the happiest days of my life here is when that opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts