Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
On the map, the closest grocery store is three miles from Dover center.
That would be Shaws on 109, however many go to Wellesley to shop at the Whole Foods and Roche Brothers. Both are brand new stores. If you choose to live in Dover, there is the Dover market, however there is no shopping for anything else and same for Sherborn. Sherborn does have the Sherborn Inn (dining).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:39 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
That would be Shaws on 109, however many go to Wellesley to shop at the Whole Foods and Roche Brothers.
I do quite a bit of my grocery shopping at the Wellesley Roche Bros. and Whole Foods. They're nice markets and as mentioned pretty new. I can't remember the last time I was in a decent Shaw's.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I do quite a bit of my grocery shopping at the Wellesley Roche Bros. and Whole Foods. They're nice markets and as mentioned pretty new. I can't remember the last time I was in a decent Shaw's.
The ones out my direction are really nice, both Stow and Groton.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:31 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
The ones out my direction are really nice, both Stow and Groton.
Actually now that I'm thinking about it a little bit, I was in one on the cape that was very nice. Around here they're all old and decrepit.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:12 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Actually now that I'm thinking about it a little bit, I was in one on the cape that was very nice. Around here they're all old and decrepit.
The Sudbury Shaws is awful too. I was there 2 nights ago and the only fresh fruit they had was apples and bananas. Their grapes were rotten. Any produce I buy from there goes bad if I don't use it within 24-48 hours.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:15 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Really? Google maps gave me a time of 54 minutes. I figured an average of 5mph over the speed limit and 50 minutes would be attainable.
This shows how out of touch NH residents are with MA traffic. Google maps says it should take 24 minutes for me to get to my doctor's office from Sudbury to Southboro (driving thru Marlboro). It took me 35 minutes at 2pm on Columbus Day with no real traffic. It would've easily been 45 minutes during rush hour. To use google maps properly in MA you need to ADD at least 10%, not subtract 10%

Old 10-17-2013, 02:24 PM

8 posts, read 11,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
What about Holliston?
Thank you again for all the replies. I didn't realize there were more pages....so I hadn't read on. Holliston, I will take a look. Thank you

Old 10-17-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
That does look like a postcard doesn't it?

Keep in mind that there are trade offs for such beauty. There are no train stops in Dover or Sherborn. There's also VERY little in terms of shopping/restaurants in these towns. I'm not sure about Sherborn but I know there's not even a supermarket within the town limits of Dover. I would say if you choose these towns be prepared to spend a lot of time in your car. I just want you to be aware of that.

Here in the Metrowest area, I wouldn't say that there is a town that offers everything necessarily. The towns with larger lots tend not to have public transportation, an abundance of shopping/restaurants, and/or a developed town center. Meanwhile, the towns that offer these amenities tend to have smaller lots and are therefore more densely populated.

Just food for thought. In the end, you have to decide which amenities hold more weight in your personal decision making process.

Thank you MikePru, very helpful. We are coming up in a few weeks and plan to drive around all these suggested areas and get a feel. Many Thanks

Old 10-19-2013, 01:40 PM

304 posts, read 774,434 times
I would definitely choose Concord from the towns you listed. It has a beautiful downtown area. Or maybe Hopktington? I am not sure about the chicken factor though.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown_mama View Post
I would definitely choose Concord from the towns you listed. It has a beautiful downtown area. Or maybe Hopktington? I am not sure about the chicken factor though.

Beantown Mama, I think Concord is it. We drove around town, had a snack at a coffee shop, talked to some of the locals as we walked around town. Good vibe. Not sure our budget will suffice but maybe the spring market will bring more listings?

Not ruling out other towns yet but Concord has risen to the top of the list. Thanks all for the helpful advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts