Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,616 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are going to be moving to Boston in December and our primary goal is to find the best schools in the surrounding areas. My twin sons are 6 years old and in first grade. I will be anchoring and reporting for a local news station and the studios are right in the heart of downtown Boston near the TD Garden.

I will have an assigned parking spot so I will be able to drive to work, but I would also like to have easy access to public transportation as an alternative. My wife is a fitness instructor/personal trainer so we would ideally love to find a place to live near phenomenal schools, a great gym, restaurants and shopping, and commuter trains. We would probably rent for the first year unless we can find a great deal on a nice home.

I have heard that Newton, Winchester, Brookline and several other places have a lot to offer, but moving from the Memphis area the first thing I noticed was the sticker shock of housing costs! Wow! I would love to hear some suggestions and advice..thank you in advance for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 12:12 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
You are working in a great location for public transportation for any of the commuter lines ending at North Station.

I would recommend looking in both Belmont and Concord. Both towns have highly reputable schools, commuter rail stops, several country clubs, and very health and fitness conscious populations. The Thoreau Club is a high end fitness club in Concord. Both of these higher-end towns would be much more affordable than Newton, Winchester or Brookline. Obviously, Belmont would be more convenient of the two. Many of the 128 big corporations and office parks close to both towns have their own fitness facilities.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:51 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Kris Anderson? Welcome to Boston. Dress warmly!

Winchester, Belmont and Arlington are good suggestions for that station's location.

Can't help with the price of housing here, if you need to spend less, then Reading and Burlington would be good alternatives.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:45 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
First, welcome to Boston!

Second, when you're looking at public school systems in the area it's important to remember that the quality of education in this state is far superior to the public education in most of the country. So, a mediocre school here would be a top performing school in many states. This being said, it is also far more expensive to live in Boston than many parts of the country. Home values will vary quite a bit from town-to-town as well. Did you have a budget you wanted to stick to? If you can share that with us, you'll get far better quality answers to your question.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,491 times
Hello There,
I am a local realtor and would say your best choices for schools are as follows. Dover/Sherborn, Weston, Wayland and Newton. Yes, the prices of homes in these areas is crazy. West of Boston being Holliston, Hopkinton and Medfield are gorgeous and have great schools. Have you began your search?

Old 11-03-2013, 03:20 AM

270 posts, read 468,276 times
Lynnfield has very good school and is in close proximity of Boston. If you want more for your money then stick with North Shore. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2013, 03:05 PM

304 posts, read 774,434 times
I think Winchester would be a great commute and the schools are top notch.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Congratulations on the new job and welcome. Assuming you will be commuting off hours for your job, I would definitely consider the south shore as well. Hingham would be a great fit. It boasts excellent schools, wonderful shopping and restaurants at Derby Street, the Shipyard and the charming and eclectic Hingham Square. All of it is nestled in a quintessential seaside New England town. There is easy access to route 3 and 93 along with commuter train service and a boat that docks near Rowes Wharf which is a lovely walk to the TD Bank area. It's a very family friendly community with lots to do for 2 active boys. It is also a very fitness oriented and your wife would have no problem continuing her career.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:24 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
If you want to live on the water, Marblehead (commuter rail from Salem to North Station) Swampscott (has commuter rail stop). If you drive you will have to cross the water (not good). Mike Lynch, sportscaster at WCVB lives in Swampscott and commutes to Needham.West of Boston rail goes into South Station, and you would have to make a subway change to get to the Garden. Hingham is on the water has rail but it too goes into South Station and requires a subway change to get to the Garden.

Best schools in the are are in Sherborn/Dover. 45 minute commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts