Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:08 PM

14 posts, read 14,999 times

Advertisements

Mike, I really appreciate your openness about your son's diagnosis and your experience with the public school system last year. And, very happy to read that your son is doing well at the private program! I'm in Melrose and have a daughter with special needs. We've heard not-so-good things about the services offered in the public schools (she is in preschool, where the services have been excellent, but come elementary it gets rough I've heard!) and so are considering a move within the next few years to a district with better services. Have you connected much with fellow parents of special needs children in Needham and found your experience (poorly written IEP, etc.) to be the norm or the exception? I plan to contact some Needham SEPAC members, but figured asking you wouldn't hurt.

Also, magicshark, if you don't mind sharing - who was your advocate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 10:09 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,062,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedo View Post
Mike, I really appreciate your openness about your son's diagnosis and your experience with the public school system last year. And, very happy to read that your son is doing well at the private program! I'm in Melrose and have a daughter with special needs. We've heard not-so-good things about the services offered in the public schools (she is in preschool, where the services have been excellent, but come elementary it gets rough I've heard!) and so are considering a move within the next few years to a district with better services. Have you connected much with fellow parents of special needs children in Needham and found your experience (poorly written IEP, etc.) to be the norm or the exception? I plan to contact some Needham SEPAC members, but figured asking you wouldn't hurt.

Also, magicshark, if you don't mind sharing - who was your advocate?
In talking with some other parents, I've found some are certainly happier than others with the school system. I guess it all depends upon what you expect to get out of the program. I saw my son make a lot of progress when he was getting treated privately. Then he started at the school and plateaued or even regressed in some ways. Were it not for my previous experience with private services, I might have thought that was him and that he couldn't make the kind of progress he was making in private care. The professionals we brought in to review the program were less than complimentary about it as well. If one doesn't have that context they might be blissfully unaware as well. Now that he's back in private care he's been making more significant progress yet again.

I have to say . . . as much as I've bashed the Needham SPED program here I do have hope that it is on the upswing. I've been told by many of the professionals that work with my son that Needham once had a wonderful SPED program but turnover in the staff has taken it's toll. We only started talking with the school system about a year ago and we're now dealing with our 4th pre-school director. The BCBA for the school system recently left to go to a private school in Natick as well. The new pre-school director does seem committed to bringing the program back to its glory days. Plus, they're hiring a BCBA to work only with the pre-school. The previous BCBA worked with pre-K and all the elementary schools.

The other thing that gives me great hope is in working with the school system (the SPED director really being the only constant) I've definitely felt that they want to work with me to get the best care for my son. Whether that's in their hands or helping to support him in private care. Talking with some other parents, I can't say that attitude is found in every school system.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:53 AM

Thanks for your reply, Mike. I just heard back from a SEPAC member who said that "Needham is busting at the seems" in terms of enrollment. Funny that you just posted about Wellesley's schools being oversubscribed as well. And I think I've heard the same for Newton! Anyhow, the Needham SEPAC is having a meeting Monday which this person invited me to attend - a nice gesture. Have you heard good things about any other metrowest special ed systems? I've read about Newton, Sudbury and Concord's being generally well-regarded. Maybe we'll shoot for Natick (more affordable) and foot the bill for sped private school ourselves! Sigh...

Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, Mike. I just heard back from a SEPAC member who said that "Needham is busting at the seems" in terms of enrollment. Funny that you just posted about Wellesley's schools being oversubscribed as well. And I think I've heard the same for Newton! Anyhow, the Needham SEPAC is having a meeting Monday which this person invited me to attend - a nice gesture. Have you heard good things about any other metrowest special ed systems? I've read about Newton, Sudbury and Concord's being generally well-regarded. Maybe we'll shoot for Natick (more affordable) and foot the bill for sped private school ourselves! Sigh...
I would say that comment about enrollment is more of a general statement about the overall school system. As noted in my other thread, most school systems that are well regarded are facing capacity issues. SPED enrollment in Needham I understand increased quite a bit this year at the pre-K level but they seem to have less of a problem finding SPED teachers than they do BCBA's, etc.

As for what other towns to consider . . . most of the private people (including our advocate) I've worked with have advised me to consider anything the school system offers you as really good daycare. Any progress we expect to make should come from private therapists. Most people are telling me that none of the school systems have as good care as private placement.

You can certainly save some money by living in Natick vs Needham. Although these days, it's not as huge a difference as it used to be. The school system is legally responsible for the care of your child if you live in the town though. If they are unable to prove that they can provide suitable care then they must fund private care. So, essentially you can choose to pay for private care directly or through your tax dollars. We're also lucky because most health insurance plans in this state are required to cover autism care. Sadly, my wife's employer takes advantage of a loophole and does not cover such things. So, I have my own insurance (self employed) which I pay through the nose for which covers most of my son's care.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:37 PM

Yes, luckily we have excellent insurance as well, through my husband's employer. Makes a BiG difference for us while paying for private therapy. I tell him it's like he's making an extra $20K a year with the benefits we're getting!

As far as getting the district to pay for private special ed school tuition, it is possible, but doesn't necessarily seem like a very easy thing to do (not that you said it was). From what I've learned, unless the district outright suggests an out-of-distinct placement up front, you basically need to watch your child fail for at least a year or two. Then, with the documented failings, hire a lawyer (for mucho $$), go to court (who knows how long this whole process is) and hope that you win. Even if you do win, the district won't just pay for your child's ed until they're 22, you'll have to go back to court every few years to prove that your child could still not be successful in one of the district's programs. I think for parents of kids with severe disabilities, this is probably a bit easier to argue versus those of us with kids with more moderate special needs.

Anyhow, thanks again for your comments on Needham specifically. We may be in town with the kids to check out some playgrounds sometime soon.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I think for parents of kids with severe disabilities, this is probably a bit easier to argue versus those of us with kids with more moderate special needs.
Based on feedback from other parents, I would say the more mild your child's needs are, the more likely you'll be happy with the school system's offerings. My kid is not severely autistic. He mostly just doesn't talk.

Quote:
Anyhow, thanks again for your comments on Needham specifically. We may be in town with the kids to check out some playgrounds sometime soon.
No problem! There are tons of great playgrounds in town. I definitely would recommend Green's Field near the town center. It seems to appeal to all ages. If your child is younger, the tot lot at DeFazio Field near the Dedham line is great too. There are tons of other playgrounds as well.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:46 AM

26 posts, read 28,692 times
Hi, Mike. Our child is 13 years old and he has autism. As he ages, that is where the going gets tough. He also does not talk, just basic words to phrases to say what he wants. He reads but comprehension is still a problem. He is good in rote Math but come statewide test, he fails. He has some behavior issues and the one that tops most is going from non-preferred to preferred activity/ies. He loves school. He loves to learn, unending capacity to learn. He is very diligent but the CST wants to put him in an out-of-district placement this school year in a multiply-disabled class. At present he is in LLD class (Learning Language Disabilities class) in his last year in middle school. We did not object his placement there as long as he is together with the regular education students but slow in learning. We really preferred a set-up wherein he is mixed with the regular education students because after school age, he has to be in a world where more regular folks like us exist than people like him with autism. In short, we want him to be as normal as possible no matter what.

According to the CST, he is surviving in his present LLD class but not thriving. We want him to survive not thrive. We do not want him to be in the top of his class (if he were to be put in an ABA (multiply-disabled) class.), we want him to be in the bottom so he can learn more. So far, after our IEP meeting this third week of September 2014, we are on a race to find another school where he can be put in an LLD class. Unfortunately, the case manager (also the school psychologist) scheduled an intake three towns away from our place. This prospective school only offers multiply-disabled program and one thing that hit me most was the lack of planning past age 21 because these kids will not go past high school according to the director of special services. Not even one will be able to go to college. Hence, in an ABA (multiply-disabled) class, many of the students with disabilities, are conditioned only to learn functional knowledge. This is very disturbing because the school system in many of the towns and states we have been in, is conditioning the students with disabilities (especially that of autism) and their parents to just reach this certain level in life. Hence, the problem these days are the lack of planning for adults with disabilities (especially with autism). I do not like the saying, "after 21, the school bus does not arrive anymore." This is the very essence of just letting the kids be "functional" but after 21 they are left on their own. They need to be given more options just like they give option to regular education students.

You are still some years away from more intense fights. Do not lose track of things. Everyone of these kids with disabilities must be given opportunities to be more than functional in the society. As Plutarch said, the mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be rekindled. The mind is really a terrible thing to waste but that is exactly what is happening all over the United States to kids with disabilities especially those with autism. I believe all kids with autism no matter how disabled they are still need to be taught. What are we to lose in teaching them? The world may become a better place if we do not put them in the back burner.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalt View Post
Hi, Mike. Our child is 13 years old and he has autism. As he ages, that is where the going gets tough. He also does not talk, just basic words to phrases to say what he wants. He reads but comprehension is still a problem. He is good in rote Math but come statewide test, he fails. He has some behavior issues and the one that tops most is going from non-preferred to preferred activity/ies. He loves school. He loves to learn, unending capacity to learn. He is very diligent but the CST wants to put him in an out-of-district placement this school year in a multiply-disabled class. At present he is in LLD class (Learning Language Disabilities class) in his last year in middle school. We did not object his placement there as long as he is together with the regular education students but slow in learning. We really preferred a set-up wherein he is mixed with the regular education students because after school age, he has to be in a world where more regular folks like us exist than people like him with autism. In short, we want him to be as normal as possible no matter what.

According to the CST, he is surviving in his present LLD class but not thriving. We want him to survive not thrive. We do not want him to be in the top of his class (if he were to be put in an ABA (multiply-disabled) class.), we want him to be in the bottom so he can learn more. So far, after our IEP meeting this third week of September 2014, we are on a race to find another school where he can be put in an LLD class. Unfortunately, the case manager (also the school psychologist) scheduled an intake three towns away from our place. This prospective school only offers multiply-disabled program and one thing that hit me most was the lack of planning past age 21 because these kids will not go past high school according to the director of special services. Not even one will be able to go to college. Hence, in an ABA (multiply-disabled) class, many of the students with disabilities, are conditioned only to learn functional knowledge. This is very disturbing because the school system in many of the towns and states we have been in, is conditioning the students with disabilities (especially that of autism) and their parents to just reach this certain level in life. Hence, the problem these days are the lack of planning for adults with disabilities (especially with autism). I do not like the saying, "after 21, the school bus does not arrive anymore." This is the very essence of just letting the kids be "functional" but after 21 they are left on their own. They need to be given more options just like they give option to regular education students.

You are still some years away from more intense fights. Do not lose track of things. Everyone of these kids with disabilities must be given opportunities to be more than functional in the society. As Plutarch said, the mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be rekindled. The mind is really a terrible thing to waste but that is exactly what is happening all over the United States to kids with disabilities especially those with autism. I believe all kids with autism no matter how disabled they are still need to be taught. What are we to lose in teaching them? The world may become a better place if we do not put them in the back burner.
It's amazing how much time/money it takes to raise an autistic child and I know this is only the beginning. It's also incredible that one diagnosis seems to encompass such a wide range of issues/symptoms/disorders but I guess that's why they call it a spectrum. When I drop my son off in the morning at his "school", I see kids of all ages and all degrees of autism in the waiting area. It seems some kids respond a lot better to treatment than others.

I was actually talking to the advocate we've been working with today and she has an autistic son. He's off at college and she's assembled a team to help him with issues he may face at college but also to help him transition to independent living after college. Hearing this really gave me a lot of hope for my son's future because the reason we've been fighting so hard to get him intensive treatment is because when he gets it he makes tremendous progress.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,631 times
Hi,

Just wanted to say thank you for all this info. My husband and I are in the process of researching Boston suburbs and Needham is at the top of our list. Our son has what's called a 'mixed expressive-receptive language disorder' and he currently receives services at his public school in CT. He qualified for special Ed and receives private speech and OT. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experiences with transferring iep's from one school system to the next. We've never hired an advocate because our sons needs are pretty straight forward and he does well in the classroom (overall). Do most parents have advocates in Needham? Or, shall I say, do most parents feel the need to have an advocate present? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvm78 View Post
Hi,

Just wanted to say thank you for all this info. My husband and I are in the process of researching Boston suburbs and Needham is at the top of our list. Our son has what's called a 'mixed expressive-receptive language disorder' and he currently receives services at his public school in CT. He qualified for special Ed and receives private speech and OT. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experiences with transferring iep's from one school system to the next. We've never hired an advocate because our sons needs are pretty straight forward and he does well in the classroom (overall). Do most parents have advocates in Needham? Or, shall I say, do most parents feel the need to have an advocate present? Thanks in advance.
Since I started this thread, let me start by giving a bit of an update on my experience. My son is still entirely in private care and we've entered into a settlement with the town the details of which I'm legally obligated not to disclose.

Regardless, my overall feeling about the whole experience is that we had some really bad luck and placed our son in the school system at the beginning of a period of major staff turnover. At this point, I've developed a small network of families that I'm friendly with around town who have kids with special needs and many of them have their kids at least part of the time in the public pre-school. What I'm hearing is that now that the dust has settled and a new staff is in place the quality of care is far better than it was when my son was there.

To answer your question about an advocate . . . not everyone in my "network" has hired an advocate. We hired one because we weren't so sure what our son needed and we weren't so sure what the legal obligations of the school system were to provide things for our son. It was our goal to make sure our son got the best possible care to set him up for the best possible life given his diagnosis. The school system has always seemed pretty accommodating to us but we didn't want to take any chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts