Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:50 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times

Advertisements

Hi Twiggy! Thanks for the nice comments.
I have to admit that when I first moved here it was an adjustment coming from suburban Boston. But I eventually found that I have the best of both worlds. Yes, some areas of the Cape are experiencing many of what ails other areas of the state and country. All in all, though, my kids are having a wonderful childhood that I never experienced, I live in a safer environment, milder climate, with great people. If I were a young, single professional, I'd probably have a different perspective. But if I need a dose of "the wild side" I don't have a long drive or train ride to Boston!
And the snow here is beautiful! I somehow don't mind shovelling because it's so rare that we have enough and it's usually gone pretty quickly.
Go Pats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 12:12 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
CCC, (lol makes me feel like I'm back in college!) did you get much snow down there? Here in Manomet we got 14"! I got the driveway done, now have to get to the mailbox. Oh well, a couple of days with no bills makes me feel better! LOL What part of the Cape are you in? Sorry I can't remember. I agree with twiggy, your posts are very pleasant to read. Twiggy, I love your attitude also! I can't afford vacations anymore either, so I just pretend in the summertime that my everyday life is a vacation!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:54 PM

8 posts, read 20,710 times
Default cape

cape cod is a nice place to visit but I would need more info to help you better. I am a 5th generation from the cape and want to move ( out of state). I will try to help you out and I am painfully honest so please ask questions.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:17 PM

19 posts, read 99,008 times
I can't believe these posts .... as with any location there is good and bad everywhere.... when someone posts a topic saying they would like to move to the Cape... well .. there are 15 towns to choose from in this area and certainly which town and what one has been exposed to will reflect their opinion. I live and indeed work on the lower Cape and have a great time.. I wonder what people are looking for when they say the Cape is boring ? what do you currently do that holds off boredom in the town that you live in? I find mostly, people dream their lives to be a certain way and want change, but you have to change your attitude about life- no specific location will do that for you.
I am a successful Realtor on the lower Cape and love it ...my clients love buying here and never look back in regret. If you are considering a move, make sure it is for all the right reasons and come down for a vacation to check it out - especially in the off season!
I find the Cape to be diverse, full of all walks of life and most tend to have similar dreams and wish the best for others - maybe I see this because I project this myself ? In other words... Life is what you make it - it is all out there for you to enjoy.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:07 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
CCC, (lol makes me feel like I'm back in college!) did you get much snow down there? Here in Manomet we got 14"! I got the driveway done, now have to get to the mailbox. Oh well, a couple of days with no bills makes me feel better! LOL What part of the Cape are you in? Sorry I can't remember. I agree with twiggy, your posts are very pleasant to read. Twiggy, I love your attitude also! I can't afford vacations anymore either, so I just pretend in the summertime that my everyday life is a vacation!
Ha Ha, I know. My vacations consist of a towel by the pool and 3 kids on my back trying to steal my lemonade! In AZ the school vacations are backwards. When its 110-115 the kids are off for summer break? I mean can you imagine your summer break coming from Jan. to March? My kids are so bored. It's way to hot to play outside at that temp. So we swim 24hrs a day. I hope the chlorine doesn't kill them. Skin cancer is a given out here. Start the yearly skin checks at age 5.
I am just sick of AZ. Some people love it, I just want a change. But crime on the Cape compared to Phoenix is going to be an easy adjustment for me.
At least for the first few years I won't mind the crowds in the summer, like we said, I will just pretend I am on vacation, I will be by some people I know, and I will finally be able to use a fireplace. I won't have to turn the air condition on to use it, I will REALLY be able to use it. lol I just need a change from the desert, can you tell? I can't take the dirt and stucco anymore.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,766 times
I am retired and have recently started to visit the Cape on a fairly regular basis as my daughter and her family have relocated there. I enjoy the visits, but I don't think I would ever want to live there. The summer has too many people, the winter, too few. Once you get a few miles beyond the Bourne or Sagamore Bridges, it seems like another country. Very few of the homes in my daughter's neighborhood are lived in year round. These are large homes and condominium buildings that one would not expect to be summer rentals only. Most of the restaurants are closed for the winter. I would suggest staying on the other side of the bridges, and just visiting the cape now and then.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:56 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch68 View Post
I am retired and have recently started to visit the Cape on a fairly regular basis as my daughter and her family have relocated there. I enjoy the visits, but I don't think I would ever want to live there. The summer has too many people, the winter, too few. Once you get a few miles beyond the Bourne or Sagamore Bridges, it seems like another country. Very few of the homes in my daughter's neighborhood are lived in year round. These are large homes and condominium buildings that one would not expect to be summer rentals only. Most of the restaurants are closed for the winter. I would suggest staying on the other side of the bridges, and just visiting the cape now and then.
Like I said, I haven't been over the Bridge in years but as far as I could see Bourne and Hyannis were quite lively in the winter too. Wait a few years, Monarch, your daughter's neighborhood will be all year round in a few years. I inherited the house I grew up in and I HATED it when I was young. The only time I liked was summer when there were more kids to play with! There are a dozen streets in "the neighborhood" and when I was young there were only 5 year round families on all dozen streets! Now you can hardly find a summer rental except for right on the beach! I HATE it now! How I wish it were nice and laid back when everybody knew everybody, no traffic, no traffic signals just relaxation in the off season. Now everybody works in Boston and we have become a "bedroom community" instead of a "beach town". We used to have small stores along the beachway, now it's only condos. We used to have a zoning law that forbid more than 1 story houses so it would not block the view of the beach, now there a 3 story monstrosities that no one can see over or around! Every lot of land has been sold over the years and "McHouses" put up along side of the original 1 story winter cottages. TG I live on a corner and no one can give me claustrophobia! So have no fear, you "city people" will be building up the Cape in due time. More than it already has.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 AM

119 posts, read 176,183 times
I think it's sad so many people on the Cape don't cross the bridge. That is just ridiculous in my opinion.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronniec78 View Post
I think it's sad so many people on the Cape don't cross the bridge. That is just ridiculous in my opinion.
I know, why is this? Is it really that difficult? Maybe they are afraid they can't drive out in the real world anymore. I get use to a routine too, so I might become one of those poor people. Everyone says I make a small town around me because I never venture out of a 2 mile invisible box I've made for myself.
I just like a small town feel. I always have. The same store, school, etc. Now, I haven't been able to do this with my doctor but I would if it wasn't for our insurance company. Those people just have agrophobia maybe? I heard of some poor guy who lived on Long Island, and couldn't get off because of his fear of bridges. I felt so bad for him.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:42 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
Just a thought on "going over the bridge".
It's not that we're in a rut, or have phobias. It's that, if you go much further north, it's a different world.
Somehow it just doesn't seem as kind and compassionate. I grew up on the North Shore, lived on the South Shore, worked in Boston for a long time. And loved every minute of it.
We treat each other differently here. My kids can spot an off-Cape driver in a heartbeat! Whether from MA, NY, NJ, CT....doesn't matter. AND, they can identify, probably with 90% accuracy, what state they're from before seeing the license plate.
When I stand in line at the market, I can tell if someone's a visitor by how they treat the grocer. In restaurants, by how they treat the server.
Courtesy is part of our lives. We teach it to our children. It's not that courtesy is not practiced elsewhere, it's just a way of life here. We're shocked when someone cuts us off in traffic or doesn't yield the right of way. We're appalled when someone is rude and obnoxious to a cashier or waiter. And it happens often.
My kids are growing up in a great environment, I know my neighbors, and I'll know if one of my kids is doing something wrong within 2 minutes of the event. Much to their dismay. I also know that my neighbors are looking out for me and my children. And my children know that, too.
I have many friends in my old neighborhoods, but they always want to come see me and stay for a while. When I say I'll come for visit, they say "Why don't we come see YOU".
So pardon us if we prefer to live, and stay, in a place where common courtesy and concern for your neighbors is expected, and not a surprise. And we appreciate the fact that we live in a place where so many people drive hours just for a weekend of what we experience every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts