Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 04:34 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times

Advertisements

What is the origin or cause of the strong offensive SMELL sometimes encountered at times near the oceanfront of Lynn and maybe Revere? (Marblehead and/or Nahant too or not?)

The first time I ever encountered this smell years ago, I was coming back from a wedding in Marblehead, MA to Boston with a whole groups of others in a large station wagon and, with the driver going south through Lynn down the Lynnway and on toward Revere, an awful smell permeated the atmosphere all around us. It smelled like sewage or worse. Over the years, I've heard some persons say that this smell occurs when the ocean tide is low (or lower than normal) and it exposes rotting seaweed or kelp or algae; others have said it is rotting clams or rotting dead fish; others have said it is sewage (but, if so, where does this sewage come from and is it legal for sewage to be released directly into the ocean?); and so on.

One would think that for ANYWHERE situated along or near the oceanfront anywhere in the entire world, when the tides get low, one would have a similar smell occur if it was attributable to rotting seaweed or kelp or algae or dead fish or dead clams or other dead sea plant or animal life (as these type of life forms exist all over the world). But we all know that this does not occur whenever one is at or near the oceanfront everywhere in the world. So why does Lynn and maybe Revere as well (Marblehead and/or Nahant too?) experience this described strong smell and how often does this smell occur? (that is, does it occur at rather predicatable time intervals?)

So, for any of you reading this who actually KNOW FOR A FACT (not offering up guesses but ACTUAL KNOWN FACTS) what this smell origin or cause actually and truthfully is, please inform me. Just to satisfy my curiosity.

Last edited by UsAll; 01-05-2014 at 04:44 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 06:55 AM

316 posts, read 723,511 times
As far as I know, it's generally right around Lynn Shore Drive, beginning around the Nahant causeway rotary and continuing up to the Swampscott line. The odor is caused by brown algae. Here's an article that came out last year about efforts to deal with the offending algae:

DCR chief says beach algae problem under control - Boston.com

Old 01-05-2014, 06:57 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
If there are tidal marshes, decaying vegetation in the marsh will have that smell.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Decaying organic matter that is emitting hydrogen sulfide gas.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:46 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I live on revere beach. The smell is the algae. It usually affects Lynn Shore more than Revere Beach, but if the wind is right, I can smell it too down there.

It comes and goes, as there are times I'll go a summer without smelling it and forget all about it. Other times, it gets bad and I just avoid Lynn shore.

The algae is a reddish brown color...and when it's bad, the entire beach in Lynn is covered!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:49 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
We have a phenomenon here along the Chesapeake called Red Tide. The suspended algae in the water commences a mass die off. The oxygen in the water is so depleted fish suffocate, oysters die and crabs come ashore to escape it. It stinks so bad you want to die yourself.

Fortunately it doesn't happen on a large scale very often.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:39 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Not sewage, but rotting vegetation.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:07 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
We have similar along the SC coast in the marshes. It is what we call the Pluff Mud smell. Pluff Mud is the mud left alongside the marshes at low tide. Decomposing water life, vegetation, etc. It does not happen where the sea water hits directly like on the beaches, shore, etc. It is just from the marshes.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:53 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
As far as I know, it's generally right around Lynn Shore Drive, beginning around the Nahant causeway rotary and continuing up to the Swampscott line. The odor is caused by brown algae. Here's an article that came out last year about efforts to deal with the offending algae:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If there are tidal marshes, decaying vegetation in the marsh will have that smell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Decaying organic matter that is emitting hydrogen sulfide gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I live on revere beach. The smell is the algae. It usually affects Lynn Shore more than Revere Beach, but if the wind is right, I can smell it too down there.

It comes and goes, as there are times I'll go a summer without smelling it and forget all about it. Other times, it gets bad and I just avoid Lynn shore.

The algae is a reddish brown color...and when it's bad, the entire beach in Lynn is covered!
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
We have a phenomenon here along the Chesapeake called Red Tide. The suspended algae in the water commences a mass die off. The oxygen in the water is so depleted fish suffocate, oysters die and crabs come ashore to escape it. It stinks so bad you want to die yourself.

Fortunately it doesn't happen on a large scale very often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Not sewage, but rotting vegetation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
We have similar along the SC coast in the marshes. It is what we call the Pluff Mud smell. Pluff Mud is the mud left alongside the marshes at low tide. Decomposing water life, vegetation, etc. It does not happen where the sea water hits directly like on the beaches, shore, etc. It is just from the marshes.

Thank you to all of you (as quoted above) for your illuminating insight about this matter.

You know, the first time I ever encountered this smell (as I described it in my very first posting of this thread . . . in that large station wagon with maybe 7 or 8 men together in the vehicle), I actually thought that someone in the vehicle had passed gas and it was extremely powerful and awful. I didn't say anything but just thought to myself "Boy oh boy, that is the worst passing of gas that I have ever encountered in my entire life thus far. Whoever did that here must be extremely embarrassed! My God, they must have severe gastrointestinal problems!" Ha ha ha! And then someone in the vehicle mentioned a problem with the low tides (i.e., that this smell occurs when the ocean tides are below a certain level). So my misconception as to the smell's origin was cleared up right then and there (thank God). But, over time, I have heard varying explanations of what the base origin or cause of the smell from the ocean was (as described in my first posting of this thread). Now, with all your contributions to this thread, I now understand. That is, you ALL concur and declare the very same cause of this reoccuring smell along the North Shore of greater Boston, MA, USA and state so with authority . . . that it is decaying algae (not sewage, not dead sea animal life such as fish or clams or oysters). Thank you to all of you for your insight!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:16 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
It's caused by Pilayella littoralis, a form of brown algae, and it is found up and down the coast, not just in Lynn.

Tests show foul odor in Quincy caused by brown algae - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts