Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:38 PM

316 posts, read 724,124 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry that I don't have much in the way of suggestions for the food you're seeking, though I do know a very good and unassuming Indian place in Framingham called Rasoi. It's tucked back in a mini strip mall off Route 9 and is very good.

I can't speak with any authority on Albuquerque since I've never been there, but I think it's tough to compare it to Marlborough, which is over twenty miles west of the urban core of Boston, and its environs. Both Malden and Quincy have their own clusters of excellent and very authentic Asian cuisine north and south of Boston, respectively. There are also good options in the Brighton/Allston area on the western edge of the City of Boston and in the western suburbs of Arlington and Newton, among other places. Chinatown is definitely not the only game in town. In any event, if you ventured closer to town, you'd find many good options. I'm sure others will have other suggestions for places closer to you. Good luck in your quest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 02:40 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
No, Framingham is not far, and I have heard of Sichuan Gourmet so will try it.

I'll look up Red Pepper.

It kind of bemuses me that I moved here from Albuquerque and had my choice of 3 fairly authentic Chinese/Taiwanese places and a half-dozen Thai or Vietnamese restaurants but outside of the immediate Boston area, there's slim pickings.

( I ate at a "Chinese" restaurant in Springfield this weekend that was so incredibly awful, I wanted to cry )
If you are coming from any city in the South or Southwest, even a smaller city such as Albuquerque, you'll find that the Boston area generally has really bad ethnic cuisine outside of Boston/Cambridge. I'm not sure why that is to be honest. Suburbs of Southern cities have great food that's comparable to what you can find in Boston proper or Cambridge. It's funny, I almost cried after stuffing myself with really bad food at Marlborough Super Buffet last weekend because I wanted to get my money's worth.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:44 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
I can't speak with any authority on Albuquerque since I've never been there, but I think it's tough to compare it to Marlborough, which is over twenty miles west of the urban core of Boston, and its environs.
The best Korean food I've had outside of NYC and LA was in a suburb 30 miles north of Atlanta. In fact, there were about 2 dozen Korean restaurants in this suburb and they are all better than the BEST that Boston has to offer. Go figure...

Old 01-27-2014, 02:57 PM

316 posts, read 724,124 times
Interesting! I wonder if this has anything to do with the whole density/sprawl idea. There is such a heavy concentration of people in Boston, Cambridge, Somerville and a few other communities right around town, which would explain the similar clustering of ethnic eateries. I know that there tends to be a more spread out setup in many other cities in the country, so that could be part of the reason for the difference you're explaining. That said, the Asian communities in Malden and Quincy are relatively new phenomena, so perhaps the trending of ethnic eateries moving out to more suburban areas is slower here. In any event, this is probably a discussion for another thread. Hope you find the food you're looking for.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:19 PM

536 posts, read 845,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
No, Framingham is not far, and I have heard of Sichuan Gourmet so will try it.

I'll look up Red Pepper.

It kind of bemuses me that I moved here from Albuquerque and had my choice of 3 fairly authentic Chinese/Taiwanese places and a half-dozen Thai or Vietnamese restaurants but outside of the immediate Boston area, there's slim pickings.

( I ate at a "Chinese" restaurant in Springfield this weekend that was so incredibly awful, I wanted to cry )

I wish I could help with info on the Asian restaurants west of Boston, but hearing about the problems I am not surprised.

Reading the posts just made me think about Chinese restaurants in Glasgow, Scotland, where I have lived off and on.

French fries with every entree ("chips"). A loaf of bread on the side. A really puzzling "Chinese" part of the dish with no spices. Glasgow has great grub, too, just not Asian grub. It all depends where people land when they start up in a new country, I guess.

I live in So. Florida, where I long ago said goodbye to any quality Mexican or Indian food. If I do move to Maine, goodbye pizza. If I move to Mass, goodbye eating out, as my house will cost so much. My solution has been to learn how to cook ethnic. I am still learning Thai, though--very complex flavors.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:58 PM

204 posts, read 286,479 times
Someone highly recommended a restaurant in Westborough (Sapporo?) to me, but I haven't tried it yet. There seems to be a cluster of Asian restaurants in that area, but judging from the menus they look mostly fusion/chop suey/hibachi. It's hard to tell sometimes, though - just because a place makes crab rangoon doesn't mean it can't also have authentic dishes. Has anyone here tried any of them?

Old 01-27-2014, 05:19 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times
If it anything like the Billerica location, go Go GO!

Old 01-27-2014, 06:02 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
THAI and ASIAN RESTAURANTS - MARLBOROUGH AREA
====================================

Here's some that have been approved by Yelp.com

I find yelp.com very helpful in picking restaurants

MUENG - RESTAURASNT - MARLBOROUGH
Mueng Thai Restaurant - Marlborough, MA

THAI CHILI - MAYNARD
Thai Chili - Maynard, MA
Thai Chilli Restaurant [www.thai-chilli.com] Maynard, MA

CHILI BASIL - SUDBURY
Chili Basil - Sudbury, MA
Chili Basil Thai Restaurant - Sudbury - MA - 01776 - Menu - Seafood, Thai, Vegetarian - Online Food Delivery Catering in Boston With Coupon | Discount

THAI PLACE - FRAMINGHAM
http://www.yelp.com/biz/thai-place-f...ry:thai%20food
Thai Place - Authentic Thai Restaurant

THAI TIME
CLINTON MASS
Thai Time - Clinton, MA
Thai Time Restaurant*|*"Give Yourself Some Time"

SPICE AND PEPPER (WAYLAND)
Spice & Pepper - Wayland, MA | Yelp
Spice & Pepper - Home

SIMILIAN THAI BISTRO
CLINTON MASS
Similan Thai Bistro - Clinton, MA | Yelp
Home

SAPPORO KOREAN BBQ AND BAR
Sapporo Korean Barbecue & Sushi - Westborough, MA
Sapporo Korean BBQ & Sushi Restaurant - 50 East Main Street, Westborough, MA 01581

PAN THAI - HOPKINTON
Pan Thai - Hopkinton, MA | Yelp
Pan Thai Restaurant - Home

SAKE HANA ASIAN CUISINE AND SUSHI BAR
WESTBOROUGH
Sake Hana Asian Cuisine and Sushi Bar - Westborough, MA
Home Page

OGA'S JAPANESE CUISINE - NATICK
Oga's Japanese Cuisine - Natick, MA
Welcome to Oga’s Japanese Cuisine

YAMA ZAKURA - NORTHBOROUGH MASS
Yama Zakura - Northborough, MA
Yama Zakura Restaurant - Asian Fusion Cusine

KRUA THAI - NATICK MASS
Krua Thai - Natick, MA
KruaThaiNatick.com | 231 North Main Street Natick, MA 01760

CHINESE FOOD

CHINA GARDEN - MARLBOROUGH
China Garden - Marlborough, MA

STAR OCEAN - HUDSON MASS
Star Ocean - Hudson, MA

LOTUS BLOSSOM
SUDBURY MASS
Lotus Blossom Restaurant - Sudbury, MA

SICHUAN GOURMET - FRAMINGHAM MA
Sichuan Gourmet - Framingham, MA
Sichuan Gourmet | Chinese Restaurant Boston | Chinese Szechuan Cuisine | Boston MA Massachusetts New England

IMPERIAL CHINA - FRAMINGHAM
Imperial China - Framingham, MA

PEKING GARDEN
HUDSON
Peking Garden - Hudson, MA
Chinese Restaurant, Hudson, MA, Online Order, Dine In, Take Out, Online Coupon, Discount Menu, Customer Review

ASIAN GOURMET
CONCORD MASS
Asian Gourmet - Concord, MA
Asian Gourmet . Sushi House . Hibachi - Home

WATER LILY
WAYLAND
Water Lily - Wayland, MA

MANDARIN - PAN - NORTHBOROUGH
Mandarin Pan Chinese Food Restaurant - Northborough, MA

EO NOODLE
FRAMINGHAM
Eo Noodle - Framingham, MA

KING JADE II
NORTH GRAFTON
King Jade II - North Grafton, MA

GREEN BASIL WOBURN - THAI
Green Basil - Woburn | Urbanspoon

GINGER ROOT CHINESE
WOBURN
Ginger Root of Woburn - Home

CHINA SKY RESTAURANT AND SUSHI BAR
China Sky | Chinese Restaurant | Japanese Restaurant | Winchester, MA
WINCHESTER CENTER WINCHESTER MASS

OYE'S RESTUARNAT AND BAR
Welcome to Oye's Restaurant & Bar
READING MASS

I live in Winchester, Mass and we have a couple great Chinese food places nearby

I would highly recommend - OYE'S RESTAURANT AND BAR in READING right next to the IMAX THEASTER at JORDAN'S FURNITURE OFF I-95/128

The other is CHINA SKY RESTAURANT and SUSHI BAR
in Winchester

SARKU JAPAN is PRETTY GOOD in WINCHESTER as well

as the FEN YANG HOUSE in Winchester (both on Main Street 38)

The China Sky is great and you can sit at the sushi bar and watch the chef make sushi
:-)
right in Winchester Center

there's a couple good food court mall places too at the Burlington Mall in Burlington you
have
MASTER WOK Chinese
and MAKI JAPAN - :-)

Enjoy!!

Old 01-27-2014, 06:05 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
Cool China sky and OYES

I'd highly recommend taking the drive into Winchester for China Sky

and also checking out OYe's at Reading Mass by the Imax theater

Great Chinese food imho! Friendly staff, and good locations! Easy access to the highways!

If you want faster food court options while shopping at Burlington Mall try

Maki Japan and Master Wok

Old 01-27-2014, 06:26 PM

204 posts, read 286,479 times
Wow that's an extensive list! Thanks, lots of places to try! :9 In this case, though, the only problem with Yelp reviews (aside from allegations of manipulation and extortion of small businesses by Yelp) is that they don't tell you how "authentic" a place is. Don't get me wrong, I love Americanized/fusion Asian food as long as it's tasty, but "good" is not necessarily "authentic," and OP may not want to read through all those reviews to find clues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts