Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,490 times

Advertisements

Hi all--

My husband and I are relocating to the Boston area from Philadelphia and we are looking to buy a 2 BR with a budget of up to $360K. We are childless young professionals with a small dog and plan on having one car. We have been looking at properties primarily in North Dorchester and East Somerville - some with parking and some without.

Our real estate agent seems to be much more fond of North Dorchester than east Somerville south of Broadway. I'm specifically looking at a property just off of Medford Street in Winter Hill vs. a property between Columbia Road and Dot ave in North Dorchester, and looking at the available crime data mapping, it seems to me that North Dorchester is far less safe than East Somerville. I've also seen some posts about on-street parking being difficult.

I've seen some older posts on these topics in these areas, but am wondering how valid they are with the rate of development in these areas. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 12:43 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
I don't know North Dorchester, but I live in East Somerville. I never found the parking to be an issue and I like the area a fair amount. No crime issues in my two+ years here, but I'm perhaps a bit closer to Union Square than you might be. I think there are a fair amount of casual places to eat out (ala Highland Kitchen) and nice taverns, a nice community garden system that I take part it, etc. I can't really compare though.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:49 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
One of my kids lives on Medford Street in Winter Hill. The area is improving, new restaurants, etc. We weren't crazy about her moving there, but it's actually not bad.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:04 PM

9 posts, read 17,004 times
Where do you need to commute to? I would always vote East Somerville unless you need proximity to Quincy or Milton.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:51 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,734 times
East Somerville is better choice unless the Dorchester location is significantly better for commuting ...

Old 12-26-2013, 08:12 PM

316 posts, read 724,012 times
My opinion - although somewhat geographically and experientially biased - would be to go for East Somerville / Winter Hill hands-down over Upham's Corner / North Dorchester. East Somerville is considerably safer and is on a very positive trajectory development-wise, particularly with the incoming commerce at nearby Assembly Square.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,490 times
Thanks for the quick responses! For those of you that have lived in East Somerville / Winter Hill, are there any areas to stay away from? Our real estate agent said definitely do not go above Broadway, even though the shopping may seem convenient. I've also heard terrible things about Foss Park in years past, as well as gang activity in the area, but nothing recently. Are these still concerns?

My husband will be travelling by car out of the city most days, but will be based in the financial district about once per week. He will likely be getting home later in the evening (8-9 pm) and the current place we are looking at only has street parking. Will it be difficult this late in the evening to find parking in winter hill?

I have not yet found a new job, but assume it will be somewhere downtown as well. I will be relying on public transportation, but do not mind taking the bus/T/walking. I've investigated the options commuting from winter hill and am fine with them as long as they are safe to walk in the evenings should i be getting home late.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:00 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly2boston View Post
Thanks for the quick responses! For those of you that have lived in East Somerville / Winter Hill, are there any areas to stay away from? Our real estate agent said definitely do not go above Broadway, even though the shopping may seem convenient. I've also heard terrible things about Foss Park in years past, as well as gang activity in the area, but nothing recently. Are these still concerns?

The two places you mentioned, North of Broadway on Medford, and the Foss Park area are the less desirable parts, for sure. I've not heard anything happening at Foss since I've moved to the area, but I did hear old tales as well. Still, less desirable. I myself like the access on the orange line (Sullivan) and walked there (I'm off Washington) and worked in the Financial District. Very quick commute. If you were looking at Medford St, anything from Magoun Square down to the City Hall / High School is just fine.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:29 AM

7 posts, read 19,189 times
Welcome Philly peoples! I'm new to boston via NYC but originally I'm from Philly.

Look at the area near the somerville armory where they stage the winter farmers market. You can also search for this amazing butcher M.F. Duluck. I recently bought in medford hillside near tufts but the area near the farmers market was my second choice.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:34 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,171 times
East Somerville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts