Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:25 PM

50 posts, read 103,016 times

Advertisements

Hello! Just got orders to Boston for the next three years. I'll be stationed at the Coast Guard base in the North End and we are looking at places to rent. We have three small dogs (two boston terriers and a yorkie mix), but we really need a house with a fenced in yard. I completely realize this limits us and we will pay in how long my commute is to work.

What I am trying to figure out are possible places to live! With all the small towns outside of Boston, it's hard to get a gauge of what is good/bad/too far. I have zero qualms about taking the T and/or commuter rail, but here's what we are mainly looking for:

1) Fenced in backyard. This is a must. I refuse to take all three of my dogs outside on a leash 3-4 times a day.

2) Commute time. Ideally I would like under 30 minutes....alright, by now I'm guessing most of you have stopped laughing, so please hear me when I realize this is probably not going to be possible. Under 45 minutes? Is this even possible?

3) 2+ bedroom/2+bathroom

4) Somewhat close proximity (or at least in the right direction, so north of Boston) to Newburyport? My sister lives in Newburyport and I took the commuter rail from her place to Boston once while visiting, but I'm not sure how long it took anyways. This definitely isn't a necessity, so please keep that in mind.

I know with Boston, cost is definitely a factor. For my housing, I will receive about $3250/month. I have no idea how much utilities range here. I'm guessing a lot of places probably don't have central AC and rely on heating oil for the winter, right?

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 PM

3,878 posts, read 5,304,278 times
I think with your budget and reasonable expectations (2/2 br/br) you could find something nice on the North Shore. Personally I really like Salem. Great town, tons of amenities, not that far from your sister and direct commuter rail access into North Station for work. It is a bit more urban than most towns though, so not sure how the fenced in yard would figure into things. As an alternative you could also look into Swampscott and Beverly.

Good luck with everything!

Old 02-22-2014, 05:47 AM

What about newton or areas west of boston?

Old 02-22-2014, 07:02 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,517,418 times
Swampscott or beverly.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:19 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,755,132 times
You could try Wakefield, it has a lot of rentals in old houses that have yards. It has the commuter rail and is north of Boston. It has a good mix of people and a working downtown. It's right on 128/95 for getting to Newburyport and anything in between--like the North Shore Mall. Surrounding towns are Melrose, Reading, Stoneham.

The commute to Boston is fairly easy, not sure how much time it takes. It's a family type town, not much nightlife, but as I said, there is a lot of housing stock with rentals and you might get a place with a yard. There's a HUGE lake in Wakefield that people walk around--you see them with their dogs. I don't know as much about Melrose, Reading, or Stoneham but they are all decent towns too.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:45 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,755,132 times
About the heating and cooling, yes we heat with oil or gas. Yes, you will not find many places with central a/c. Most people have window a/c and fans.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:05 AM

If we aren't as concerned with location relative to Newburyport. What about places west of boston like Newton? Just asking because it seems like a lot of homes are available.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:57 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,247,559 times
Welcome. Commute is tough but also finding landlord willing to rent with 3 dogs. Most difficult is finding single home to rent. Usually you need to pull out of Metro Boston to find something like that. Most people were directing you toward North Shore area for commute purposes, and possibility that you will find SF to rent there in your price range. Newton is one of the most expensive areas and your money will get you nice 2-3 bed apartment, or perhaps a TH. But big yard, SF and fence is less likely in Newton.
I would say that in your case, get the best deal where ever you can. Newton, if you can find something is great. But, make sure you visit MBTA web page, and see trip planner section which can help you understand your commute options.
You can add Melrose, Reading, Wakefield to your search as well. West Medford could work as well. All these are safe, with train into North Station, and could give you potentially what you are looking for.
Good luck.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 AM

Anyone know how far the coast guard base is from the north station walking? Just trying to get an idea of total commute time door to door.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:13 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,663,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwin View Post
Anyone know how far the coast guard base is from the north station walking? Just trying to get an idea of total commute time door to door.
About 15 minutes at most
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts