Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:48 AM

25 posts, read 102,231 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I want to open a small but high-end jewelry store on the East Coast, but I also have an 8 months old daughter so I prefer a beautiful, safe, green town with or near good schools with some art life but not too many snobs. Please let me know of if you can think of some possible cities or towns! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
If you're looking for upscale, check out some of the "W" towns: Weston, Winchester, Wellesley, Winchendon. Not sure of the "snob factor" but that of course is relative to one's own experience, your mileage may vary...

My first thought is Newburyport, a very nice "destination" town on the North Shore. Newburyport, unlike many costal towns, does NOT shut down for the winter, but continues to attract people to town for shopping, dining, etc. Even in winter, Newburyport is nothing short of charming.
http://www.spiritofnewburyport.com/images/marketsqxmas2006_1172.jpg (broken link)

The Official Web Site of Newburyport Massachusetts - Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce and Industry

Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM

24 posts, read 73,846 times
A "high-end" jewelry store, yet you don't want to be around snobs? Yeah, good luck with that!

Old 12-03-2007, 11:44 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,243 times
What is a "high-end" jewelry store?
How much money does one expect to pay for a piece of jewelry?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:51 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,917,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
If you're looking for upscale, check out some of the "W" towns: Weston, Winchester, Wellesley, Winchendon.
Winchendon isn't really a "W town". It's near like freakin' Fitchburg. Might wanna replace that with Wayland, or Westwood.

But ya, good luck avoiding snobs

anywhere really, it sorta comes with the business.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:34 AM

5 posts, read 40,708 times
There are so many other variables you need to add to your post and I can help you.

How many square feet do you need? How much do you expect to pay in rent/CAM charges? How long of a lease do you expect to commit to? Do you have at least a certain demographic of what part of MA you are leaning towards living in (ie: Northern, Southern, etc)?

A 1200 s.f. commercial space in Tyngsboro, heading towards say the Nashua NH area (high traffic) may cost you $1,500 - $2,000 / mo depending the location........Wellseley will cost you probably double that.....and that may not even include CAM charges. I also wouldn't guarantee no snobs in any area, esp. there.

I would suggest a good location in Tyngsboro, Nashua NH (right on the border of MA), Tewksbury, Littleton, Groton, Chelmsford or Burlington for more affordable locations who have higher traffic commercial areas.

Mid rent, Lexington, Waltham, Acton, Framingham, Andover, Bedford, Concord

You can always visit the Mass.Gov website for more information about the towns, population, average income, etc.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:17 AM

3 posts, read 9,237 times
Try Ebay !!, But You'll Find Snobs On There Too ,though Some Of The Best Paying Ones!!
Define Snobs:
S_shallow
N_naive
0_oblivious
B_bizarre
S_souls
Ther's A Sucker In Every Bunch!!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:38 AM

25 posts, read 102,231 times
Thank you for your answer. I kno9w what kind of store I want to open - I am a GIA graduate currently dealing with untreated colored stones, and would like to create a jewelry line for them -, and I know what kind of place I would like to be at - green, beautiful, upscale but relaxed, with art life and good schools around because I have a baby - but because I've lived in San Francisco for 10 years and before that I was in Europe, I have no clue of the East Coast. I was not crazy about SF either, too city-like for me, preferred Carmel-by-the-Sea or Santa Barbara (lived there too for a year), so that is why I thought I would be better off with a wealthy little town which still has visitors and isn't too far from NYC of Boston. I have no preference though what State to be in, okay I guess being near to NYC would be nice, and as I said, I love green and kid-friendly places, either with mountains or with water around. In terms of price, I know upscale places are expensive but no I do not want to move to the most overpriced little town on the East Coast. I hope this clarified things a bit, please let me know if you had any further ideas after this - and thank you for answering! Best, Marcella

Old 12-04-2007, 08:40 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,998,091 times
You may also want to think about King's Highway (6A) on Cape Cod. Lots of money traffic from about April through Christmas. More so in the the summer, of course, and many jewelry stores survive quite nicely.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:35 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,243 times
Question A man's point of view

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
many jewelry stores survive quite nicely.
Being a man... I really do not understand why women want to pay big $$$$ for some stones. Everyone knows the mark up is in the 100s of percent. Yet, they cannot resist buying it.

What is worst... you cannot sell the diamond for the same price that you bought a few days ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts