Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 10,148 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to the Boston area. Everyone I talk to pushes West over North. My husband will be working in the Back Bay/South End area. There is a high probability that I will work in Cambridge or in the Medical Center area (biotech).
We are wanting a commute that is less than 45 minutes and great schools. We like Natick, Sudbury, Wayland, Needham, Bedford etc. We consider Southborough (especially if close to highways). We are able to be flexible with our commute times and if we drive or take the train.
I also like Lynnfield a lot but many people have pushed us away from the North saying the commute to Back Bay etc would be hard. However, when I check the traffic it is often reasonable- or even shorter than many cities on the west.
We would love to be in some where like Winchester, Lexington, Arlington, Belmont. However, we have heard the Route 2 commute is rough. I also don't think our price range will allow it (up to $675,000- lower better) 3-4 bedrooms. Strongly prefer 2 car garage, lot size doesn't matter as long as it isn't tiny (don't like urban lots- but you normally don't find those with garages any way). The house can't be tiny as we have 2 kids (at least 2000 sq ft).
My questions are
1. Is the North side ok to commute to Back Bay? Or is everyone right that we shouldn't consider north.
2. What cities are recommended for what we are looking for (<$675, 3-4 beds, good schools, garage, <45 min commute either drive or train)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 03:50 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedunsmore View Post
We are looking to move to the Boston area. Everyone I talk to pushes West over North. My husband will be working in the Back Bay/South End area. There is a high probability that I will work in Cambridge or in the Medical Center area (biotech).
We are wanting a commute that is less than 45 minutes and great schools. We like Natick, Sudbury, Wayland, Needham, Bedford etc. We consider Southborough (especially if close to highways). We are able to be flexible with our commute times and if we drive or take the train.
I also like Lynnfield a lot but many people have pushed us away from the North saying the commute to Back Bay etc would be hard. However, when I check the traffic it is often reasonable- or even shorter than many cities on the west.
We would love to be in some where like Winchester, Lexington, Arlington, Belmont. However, we have heard the Route 2 commute is rough. I also don't think our price range will allow it (up to $675,000- lower better) 3-4 bedrooms. Strongly prefer 2 car garage, lot size doesn't matter as long as it isn't tiny (don't like urban lots- but you normally don't find those with garages any way). The house can't be tiny as we have 2 kids (at least 2000 sq ft).
My questions are
1. Is the North side ok to commute to Back Bay? Or is everyone right that we shouldn't consider north.
2. What cities are recommended for what we are looking for (<$675, 3-4 beds, good schools, garage, <45 min commute either drive or train)
Of those towns Natick and Wayland best fit. Wayland less density slightly crunchier than Natick, no real walkable downtown. Natick more suburban, has walkable downtown and access to mall stores.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:46 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
You could do Arlington or Winchester to the Back Bay by car. My wife used to do that. Those towns are close to 93 and close enough to the city that you wouldn't be in brutal traffic too long. You could also do Arlington or Belmont via Rt 2/Fresh Pond Parkway. Any of those options would probably mean a 45-60 minute commute to go a stupidly short distance but it's doable. From Arlington, she found 93 better than Rt 2, so I would rate Lexington as a little too far, but you might find it tolerable.

Honestly, though, rereading your original post, I don't know how easy it will be to find a house that meets your specs for that price in any if those towns, so be forwarned.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:56 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Most people are recommending you live west because the commuter rail lines feed directly into Back Bay. So, it makes for the easiest commute. Coming from the north you would have to change train lines which complicates things and opens the door for more frequent delays.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 AM

How is driving from the North (93) vs the Mass Pike? I realize that by train west is going to be easier. However, I do like Lynnfield.

I have heard that Route 2 is brutal at Fresh Pond.

How is the Mass Pike? Southborough has lots of houses we like but it seems so far out. However, it might not be bad if the location had easy access to the Mass Pike or 9.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:42 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Most people are recommending you live west because the commuter rail lines feed directly into Back Bay. So, it makes for the easiest commute. Coming from the north you would have to change train lines which complicates things and opens the door for more frequent delays.
This. Also parking in Cambridge is a little cheaper than in Back Bay, so if one of you drives it's better for the person working in Cambridge to drive. Natick to Back Bay by train is 45 min door to door if you live within walking distance to Natick center and your office is within 5-10 min walk to the station. I used to drive from Natick to Harvard Square when I had a client in that area and it usually took me ~30 min in the summer. I suspect slightly longer times year-round, but definitely < 45 min if you are flexible with your work hours and can leave before or after rush hour.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 AM

What is the peak of rush hour? I like to go early and come home early. My husband can be flexible.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
It usually gets jammed up in Newton on the Mass Pike (I-90). If you get to that point by 7 am or before, then traffic is still light. In the afternoon, I'd say before 4 pm. Any weather condition throws what's normal out of whack big time.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,446 times
Move to Waltham: get way more lot and house for your money, get a two car garage, pay lower taxes, and have a very easy commute on the commuter rail (or bus). If you don't like the public schools, you will have saved enough money to go private. The park system is underrated and awesome and the kids' parks are being re-done over the next few years.

The neighborhoods here are organized and plan many parent/kid activities.

If living in a town with people in a very wide socioeconomic range is uncomfortable, then it wouldn't be a good choice.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:39 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Coming from the north you would have to change train lines which complicates things and opens the door for more frequent delays.

That's not true. Drive to Oak Grove station at the Malden/Melrose line and it is a 22 minute trip to Back Bay station; no changes necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts