Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 05:51 AM

4 posts, read 10,198 times

Advertisements

I am recently divorced and I am considering moving to Lexington with my 4 1/2 year old daughter. Obviously schools are very important as my daughter will be starting kindergarten soon but I would also like to find a town where we can both make friends easily and have a sense of community as we do not know anyone in the Boston area. I do not have a job lined up yet, so the commute into Boston is important, but I am not sure if I will even be working in the city. We are considering a condo/townhouse as I would prefer to not have a house and yard to take care of as we get settled in our new town.

What are your thought of Lexington for a single mother with young child?
How are the schools?
Is it a welcoming community?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 06:02 AM

560 posts, read 752,109 times
If you search the board you will see countless threads talking about hte virtues of Lexington. It is a great town with great schools (some might say they are hihg pressure).

Im not sure i would say any town is more or less welcoming for a single mother. Some towns it is more prevelant but Lexington woudlnt be one of them. Thats not to say you wouldnt be welcome however.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:03 AM

270 posts, read 468,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
If you search the board you will see countless threads talking about hte virtues of Lexington. It is a great town with great schools (some might say they are hihg pressure).

Im not sure i would say any town is more or less welcoming for a single mother. Some towns it is more prevelant but Lexington woudlnt be one of them. Thats not to say you wouldnt be welcome however.
Good point! What is more important is the budget of the original poster! I would say North and South Shore are a little bit more laid back than the Metro-west.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:10 AM

4 posts, read 10,198 times
Thank you for the responses! I have done some research and Lexington is in my budget.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:25 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
As a single mother with no family in the area, you will be responsible for both drop off and pick up for your daughter. Commute time will be more important to you than it is to most 2-income families where 1 parent drops off and the other parent picks up. The only parents I know who can do both either have a 15 min commute, work part time or stay at home. The most important thing is to find a job first and rent before you buy in a location that may not work for you. Either Lexington or Newton would be good centrally located suburbs where you can rent before buying, although Lexington residents tend to work more in the Cambridge area and Newton residents tend to work in Boston.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:08 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
As a single mother with no family in the area, you will be responsible for both drop off and pick up for your daughter. Commute time will be more important to you than it is to most 2-income families where 1 parent drops off and the other parent picks up. The only parents I know who can do both either have a 15 min commute, work part time or stay at home. The most important thing is to find a job first and rent before you buy in a location that may not work for you. Either Lexington or Newton would be good centrally located suburbs where you can rent before buying, although Lexington residents tend to work more in the Cambridge area and Newton residents tend to work in Boston.
There are not many condominiums and townhomes in Lexington. The Muzzy Condominium is a converted school into loft like places. I think there was one on the market last I looked. Very walkable to Lexington center and the bike trail.

Boston area is a little tough for all singles past college age. I think Lexington could work for someone because you are close enough to Boston and Cambridge to connect with organized groups for social activities and far away enough for safety and good schools. Generally, Lexington is centrally located to work in many locations.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:43 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
I would second Parsec and recommend to figure out your job prospects first. Lexington is attractive and expensive. Very family oriented with many transplants. I am not sure how hard or easy it would be to make friends. This area is not as "warm" as other parts of US. You might luck out, but it is not given.

I would add also Newton as possibly better fit with excellent schools, safety, and amenities. You would have lot more to chose from in terms of condo's and Th there, or even afford SF, including better transit options into Boston. Newton is much bigger, less sleepier, and has more single parent population than Lexington. Another one that could work great for you is Brookline. Great access to Boston and Cambridge. Lively, safe, walkable, stellar schools included.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:28 AM

229 posts, read 384,884 times
I would also say find a job first, then figure out where to live to get that 15 minutes commute. You'll want to live close so that if your child needs you during the day, you'll be near.

But if you really don't want to get the job settled first, then I guess Lexington is a "safe" choice, as it is close to Boston and Cambridge. There are quite a few condos and townhouses in Lexington, ranging from 400+K to 700K, and beyond.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:54 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
I would echo what others have said. If it's possible that you'll be commuting into Boston then Newton would be a better choice for you as the commute will be easier and that will facilitate pick up/drop off of your child. Alternatively, you could always find a daycare center near where you work as well. Personally, I like to have my kids in daycare in the town where I live as the friends they make will be more likely to live local to us. Either town would be a great choice though.

One question that might help with suggestions a bit is: what industry do you work in? Different industries tend to be concentrated in different locations. So, if you work in finance there's a higher possibility that you would work in the financial district than say Harvard Square for example.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:40 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Are you sure you want to move before getting a job? Lexington is expensive. Maybe rent a place first to check out the area and then decide where to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts