Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 04:57 PM

113 posts, read 154,383 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm starting to look at Bedford as an option for a place where my wife and I could buy a house. Questions:

* What's it like to commute by car to Boston (near MGH, where I have parking)? What are my likely routes, how long do they take, when is traffic heaviest? I have some flexibility in my schedule, but I usually like to hit the road at 7am.

* Is it reasonable to drive to the commuter rail in Concord or Lincoln, park the car, and ride the train to North Station? By what time in the morning do these lots fill up?

Thanks for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 07:07 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
If you're on the road by 6:40 AM, you should be able to drive 128 to 93 south right in to MGH with no real issue.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:09 PM

226 posts, read 386,648 times
Well my husband works in lex near the bedford line and we used to live in the south end. The reverse commute was pretty awful. It's a quick commute (I can get downtown in 25 minutes off peak) when there is no traffic but it's 1-1.5 hrs during peak.

In the end we ended up moving to bedford last year. I love it. Bedford would be a better commute if you worked in Cambridge

Old 03-23-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptkitten View Post
Bedford would be a better commute if you worked in Cambridge
How long would it take to get to Kendall if I left the house at 7am, and what route would you take?

Old 03-23-2014, 08:18 PM

Live in west bedford so you can jump on 2. I drove to the Kendall sq movies off peak the other day and it was about 25m

Old 03-23-2014, 08:26 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Strange, thought I answered this?

Anyhow, I would get to 2 through back roads, get on 2 east of 128, park at Alewife on the days you don't want to drive all the way in. Otherwise, take Alewife to Fresh Pond to Memorial Drive. Don't wait until the last minute because the ride through Cambridge can be jammed.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:35 PM

Thanks everyone, but parking at Alewife isn't going to be a good option for at least a year or two - the wife and I both work at MGH, I have parking there, and we'll have our infant son in daycare at MGH in a few months. It just seems very difficult to commute by T with a baby.

Would it not be reasonable to drive 225 -> 2 -> Rindge Ave -> Somerville -> Kendall Sq -> Longfellow -> MGH? We live in Arlington now and drive this route (down Mass Ave to Porter), it takes us 30-35 min to get to MGH. How long would it take from Bedford?

Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo21 View Post
Thanks everyone, but parking at Alewife isn't going to be a good option for at least a year or two - the wife and I both work at MGH, I have parking there, and we'll have our infant son in daycare at MGH in a few months. It just seems very difficult to commute by T with a baby.

Would it not be reasonable to drive 225 -> 2 -> Rindge Ave -> Somerville -> Kendall Sq -> Longfellow -> MGH? We live in Arlington now and drive this route (down Mass Ave to Porter), it takes us 30-35 min to get to MGH. How long would it take from Bedford?

Probably 15 to 30 extra minutes depending on how early you get on the road.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:52 AM

I'd say an extra 15 but I'd stay on the concord side of bedford.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:22 AM

17 posts, read 59,471 times
I live in what's called "north" Lexington (near the Burlington Mall). At least one of my family members (including me) have commuted to the Longwood Medical area since 1995. Here's the deal.
1) Anyone who can get downtown in 25 minutes has perfect conditions and is big time speeding. It only takes me that long after about 9pm to 5am. Saturdays and Sundays AM until about 9 and only using the highways.
2) Anytime the roads get we (rain, snow, etc.) add 10-15 minutes to your commute.
3) There is a "witching hour" when the roads fill in heavily. From my house it's 6:50am. If we leave any later than that, add 15-30 mins to the commute.
4) Most optimal way do go during rush hour, for you, will be Rte 2 to Freshpond, down to Memorial Drive then cross over the Charles.
5) The fastest way in and out (optimal conditions) is Rte 128/95N to 93S. to Storrow drive in NON-rush hour traffic. I can get back from the airport in the middle of the night in about 28 minutes @speed limit. No way am I taking 93/128 during rush hour.
6) Mass Pike buys you nothing except more accidents.
7) There are ways to weasel around through Belmont and Watertown, but since they take longer, I save those routes for really bad traffic days.
10) BTW, the worst commute from hell we had was during a snowstorm when everyone left the city at once. 2 hours one way.

You mentioned commuter rail. That's a reasonable option, since commuter rail drops you right off at north station. That puts MGH about a five minute walk away. However your schedule and logistics would have to be fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts