Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times

Advertisements

I'm just a young disabled man, 23, I have no special skills but I have a ged. Clean record. Never did drugs. I've been looking for 2-3 years. I worked some seasonal jobs before. I thought it would be easy to get jobs at grocery stores/retail/restauraunts but I guess not. Alot of these places claim to be hiring but I never get called for an interview after I fill out the application. I've been stumped at this for a very long time. I am trying to get off SSI. I may have a disability but I want to work. I don't want to live the rest of my life on a handout. I am barely making it as it is. Is the unskilled job market dead here in MA? Or is it strictly who you know now? Maybe community college and financial aid will give me the edge I need to get hired for these places? I have no friends or anything. It's like the world has left me behind.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:53 PM

113 posts, read 154,266 times
No, I don't think you're doomed to be like this forever. You want to work. You have a leg up on a lot of worthless parasites. When the economy eventually picks up, you'll find something. I'd rather hire a person who presents him/herself with integrity, like you have done here. If you do community college, please choose to study something that will give you reasonable job skills. Don't study art or history or what have you. Not that those subjects are without merit, they most certainly are. But you will probably find it a bit easier to climb the ladder if you are comfortable with, for example, something quantitative. Learn accounting or something. Probably would serve you well. Best of luck. Chin up, believe in yourself.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:01 PM

101 posts, read 248,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I'm just a young disabled man, 23, I have no special skills but I have a ged. Clean record. Never did drugs. I've been looking for 2-3 years. I worked some seasonal jobs before. I thought it would be easy to get jobs at grocery stores/retail/restauraunts but I guess not. Alot of these places claim to be hiring but I never get called for an interview after I fill out the application. I've been stumped at this for a very long time. I am trying to get off SSI. I may have a disability but I want to work. I don't want to live the rest of my life on a handout. I am barely making it as it is. Is the unskilled job market dead here in MA? Or is it strictly who you know now? Maybe community college and financial aid will give me the edge I need to get hired for these places? I have no friends or anything. It's like the world has left me behind.
It is very difficult to support yourself with only a GED. If tell us your disability, maybe we can help

Old 03-20-2013, 05:17 AM

I have aspergers. It's really dissapointing that someone in my situation can't find anything.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
What interests you? Community college could be a good start. You will get career counseling and guidance in a job search. With your disability you may be eligible for special programs and services. When you were in public school, were you in any classes that focused on social interaction? I think often times the social difficulties that are typically part of asperger's might come across to employers where public interaction is important as a deal breaker. I think you need to focus on your interests and strengths. The WANT to work is a huge plus in your favor. I think there is something out there for you. You just need help finding that. Congratulations on your GED that was a great first step!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:12 AM

124 posts, read 233,042 times
Maybe you can find support groups with people who have aspergers? Just a thought. Try meetup.com. Here's a link: Asperger's Support Group Meetups near Boston, Massachusetts - Asperger's Support Group Meetups - Boston

I hope I can post that. Don't give up. Definitely try a community college. Take some basic classes first. Get your feet wet and see what you like.

Again, don't give up!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 AM

I've tried vocational rehabilitation. It was a waste of time. All I got out of that was my drivers license. They wanted me to find a job with no transportation and public transportation isn't going to cut it. I need to have open availability to stand out for the jobs.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Since getting a driver's license is an achievement, sounds like the voc. rehab helped. Why wouldn't public transportation help you go to a job? People with Aspergers often have trouble looking others in the eye and if this describers you, you still must try hard to do hold your head up and look at the person interviewing you. I know someone quite well who has this syndrome, and, while he has a degree, he also attended high school. Being in high school is where he made friends and is still in contact with several. When you attend community college, please try your best to make friends. You will need to make the effort, even if you don't want to. This is the beginning of forming a network which will last.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 AM

101 posts, read 248,800 times
There is a very wide range of severity in Asperger's Syndrome, as I'm sure you are aware. I commend you on your desire to get off of SSI. There are many jobs that should be available to you, even if your asperger's syndrome is relatively severe. I am not trying to keep you out of interaction with the public, but restaurants and retail probably isnt the best fit for you. Have you considered any trade work? Plumbing, electrical, manufacturing, masonry. These pay well, but do require a significant amount of labor.

There are many "non-labor" jobs that may suit you as well. Supermarket work (stocking / meat department), accounting, laboratory technician.

Nothing about the process is easy. You will have to understand that as a means to an end. Good luck

Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 AM

613 posts, read 943,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Not an expert, but I know basically what aspergers is. Is there any reason that would prevent you from getting more education? Getting thru life with a GED only, that's gonna be tough I think. Also, you sound pretty darn intelligent--it'd seem like getting thru community college (at least) wouldn't be difficult for you? At least while you're not working, get more education! What've you got to lose? Going to community college will at least give you focus, & hopefully a sense of achievement. The GED only surely doesn't help even in applying for unskilled jobs.

Also, when you go for jobs, do you tell them about the aspergers, or the SSI? I'd say, don't. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts