Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 09:12 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Does anyone know of anything I can do to make paper applications stand out? I have a resume I made that I will staple to applications but I was wondering if there was anything else I could, like fancy sticker notes or something. Any ideas? I'm suprised it's so hard to find a job up here in the merrimack valley area. I prefer paper applications.
Your resume will NEVER stand out in a good way as long as you only have a GED and are exhibiting signs of your Aspergers (i.e. being awkward around others). And the older you get and with your lack of job history, your resume will look weaker and weaker. Fancy stationary or colourful stickers are may catch their eye initially, but they still will not want you for an employee. In fact, I would say that using "fancy sticker notes" will make most employers think the application is from a teenage girl, not an adult male.

Again, take some community college classes AND do volunteer work while you are unemployed.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Very few people make money with blogs. The ones who do do it through hosted advertising, which means building a readership and having the ability to read the audience well enough to know which products and services would interest them. Also, the blogger needs to be able to develop two way communication through the blog. OP, by what you have told us about yourself, I don't see this as a viable way to make a living for you or something you would be excited to keep going.
Yes, I realize how they make money from blogs, and that not everyone does well, it was merely an example of something different he might learn from and focus time on. I don't know enough about the OP to say he couldn't make a reasonably successful blog. But I see your point reference my example. I think the best bet is getting into a course of study he is truly interested in, and focusing all his energy on that. Thinking long term that makes the most sense.

OP, there are several forums online reference Asperger's. You might find chatting with people there would be helpful. Often others face the same problems and it could be a source of support and friendship for you too. Good luck to you.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Let your spirit soar....be yourself and have faith. My eldest daughter had a brain tumor as a child...She has no formal education and is now a 30 year old woman who has a slight disability. It really does not show but being her father I am aware of her weakness. She has worked for a NGO for a few years...She has traveled over most of America - Has with in a two month period had meetings and set up large events in most major Canadian cities...Soon she is flying to Africa then to India then back to Africa then home...She will be gone for about 10 weeks..She will rough it in rural areas and she will also stay in very nice hotels...Not bad for a kid with no degree and over coming a childhood affliction....Have faith...Her name is Faith...I am so proud of her.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 PM

144 posts, read 123,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Yes, I realize how they make money from blogs, and that not everyone does well, it was merely an example of something different he might learn from and focus time on.
And it would let him put Self-Employed on his gaping chasm of a resume.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
I am having trouble finding a vehicle, was wondering if anybody knew what I should do. I have some money saved up, but of what I've looked at it has been nothing but misadvertised junk, that has problems. It seems alot of people try to lie about condition, and act dumb when you point out flaws or a mechanic does. There are some days I get so discouraged that I ask myself if it's even worth it to get a car, but then how am I to get any kind of job or improve my situation. I continue to feel lost and don't know what to do. I don't have anybody but my parents. Trade schools are non existant in this state and if there are any I don't know how to get into them. Seems people are more interested in just putting you down then helping.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:29 AM

For all the people out there who complain about those of us who are unemployed or can't find work, it sure is ironic how they offer no solutions or anything positive. Their only agenda is to make you look bad.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
But they didn't train you for anything? Like I said, you're in no position to live on a min wage job. Ask for another counselor if the one you have is insisting you get a job like that without training.

When I said to have patience with them, I meant more like 3-5 years.
It's been a while now, so I'd have to re-open my case with them. I'm not sure if I can do this or if the process is easy. The person I had was very condescening, and seemed more interested in telling me what I "shoulda, coulda" done instead of helping me move forward. They first told me to go to community college with financial aid, and I had some issues with that because there wasn't much worth going for. I'd rather have gone to some kind of trade schooling or something. Then they told me it would be better to just get a job, any job somewhere. This is where the problem came in. I can't get a job because it's too tough to get hired out here for many reasons. One being you have to know someone, or be really lucky when turning in applications. Also the transportation issue. Yeah I got my license, but no car, and I still can't find one either.

So now I'm thinking of what I should do and what's the best way to handle this. There are no trade schools in massachusetts and there is no way I could get into them with financial aid, either.

What do you suggest?

Last edited by parried; 07-09-2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 01:53 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
From the map there seem to be some technical schools around. It looks like there is one in Lowell. If you reopened your case, who is to say you would get that same person, or you could ask for someone else, I would do that to start with. The Northern Essex Community College seems to have quite a number of programs. Nothing really interests you? What would you like to study? This college seemed to have several financial aid options. Types of Aid – Northern Essex Community College

What kind of a car were you wanting? I wouldn't be looking for a car unless you have a plan laid out where you will need it, say going to school or something like that. I have a couple old Ford Festiva's, they are very good on gas, have Mazda engines, are reliable and cheap to insure. I would look at their forum (fordfestiva.com), watch or ask if anyone in your general area might know of one for sale. Usually the guys on forums take good care of their cars. If you are looking for some other make/model, you can find a forum about most of them. Many of the older cars have a fan base and usually those on the forums know about them and keep them in good shape. I think that would be a more reliable way to buy a car. But I wouldn't be trying to buy a car until you have your case reopened and you made some firm plans about school.

Map of tech schools in Mass.
https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...&ved=0CI4BELcD

2 community colleges links;
Programs of Study – Northern Essex Community College
NSCC - Credit Programs of Study

Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 AM

I know all about NECC. None of the stuff they offer seems to be really in demand around here for jobs though.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 PM

I am in the process of reopening my case. I'm getting some paperwork in the mail. I am on the waiting list again and I should start seeing them again in october.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts