Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Update for those who care:

Very close to getting into the CNC course. Took the math/reading test a few days ago and passed. In 2 weeks I am meeting with a workforce investment act advisor to see if they can pay for the course for me. It's $2,500. If they don't, I will be back to square one of looking for a job with only a G.E.D.

Quote:
I am at the point where I am offering a cash reward if someone can hire me, or help me get hired where they work. I just don't see any other way. I've done it all. Applications. Follow ups. Interviews. Online applications. Walking in places. Now I'm going after this CNC thing. I'm willing to pay someone. Sort of like a connection thing. I am using a bicycle as transportation, mostly. I am willing to pay up to $2,000 dollars the most. This is the money I saved for a beater car, but without a job even if I found one I wouldn't be able to pay the insurance on it without a job.
Sooo... if you have $2000 saved for a beater car, why not keep saving up and pay for the $2500 CNC course yourself? Why should anyone have to pay your whole tuition for you???????

Old 12-02-2013, 02:47 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
They are offering to. It may come to a point where I have to move to another state and stay in a homeless shelter because I can't get a job anywhere out here. There's just no way I could be filling in all these applications for all these places (that don't require a resume, JUST an application!!) and not getting interviews. I just applied to OG again.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:39 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
As 495Neighbor said, you have good writing skills. Too bad it's not helping in securing a job.

I recall speaking to an employee at a Boston Market here in Quincy last year; he mentioned how it's so hard for them at that location to find workers. Hmmm...that would be great for you for now if that situation existed in Haverhill. (I see that you mentioned that town, as I just re-read some of your posts; I remember this thread from earlier this year).

I have a 57 y.o. friend who had a hard time finding work after being let go from a large bookstore chain after four years. He mainly stocked books in the back area there. Likes that type of work. He finally found p/t work moving supermarket carriages at a large suburban store. I think he has a year or less of college but has worked in many types of jobs over the years, some long term. But even he got denied at some of those "easier" jobs when applying. So it's not just you.

Sometimes I see ads for car washers or auto cleaners at limo garages or rental car companies. But I realize it's tough up in Haverhill if you only have a bike.

Continue to keep us posted. We're cheering for you.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:09 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Parried, I have noticed something about your posts. That you do not quote people or address individuals by their city-data name. It seems a bit disconnected. I wonder in real life if you address people by name when responding to them or directing a comment to them. Also, when people offer you advice try to show a little thankfulness, even if you are thinking to yourself the ideas seem tired and worthless. If you are not in the habit of doing these two things, start doing them. It will feel mechanical and fake at first, then will seem more natural in time.

I saw some of your CL ads online and thought they were good. If people have reservation about hiring you through a blind ad, they could meet you in a neutral place near your house such as a Dunkin.

The only other reservation I could think of is if there is something about you true or not that shows up on a Google search from your post.

As BostonGuy said, it is hard for everyone right now. I know people with Master's degrees and years of accomplishments who have been unemployed for years. Not that it makes it any easier for you.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:14 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I have a 57 y.o. friend who had a hard time finding work after being let go from a large bookstore chain after four years. He mainly stocked books in the back area there. Likes that type of work.
This is so interesting. I was musing about this today, wondering if there are truly people who would pick routine work if given a choice or if some people adapt better to it than others. Most work is routine when it comes down to it.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
This is so interesting. I was musing about this today, wondering if there are truly people who would pick routine work if given a choice or if some people adapt better to it than others. Most work is routine when it comes down to it.
The bookstore actually asked if he could train so that he could do cashiering work but he balked. Then, he was eventually laid off. He simply loves touching and shelving books much better, and doesn't seem to want lots of human contact at work -- at least with certain people?

But I would think he likes the supermarket carriage job and tries chatting with most co-workers at most levels. He does those medical visits at times to supplement that p/t income.

He's actually annoying in that he never stops talking when I see him once a month or so, but then he's comfortable with me. On a bus to Foxwoods, he won't stop chatting at me, and I sense others on board are bored and irritated by him. However, he is very gregarious in public and even with some strangers on the subway at times. Weird...

Old 12-02-2013, 05:50 PM

It was probably Borders. They went out of business.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:54 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
They are offering to. It may come to a point where I have to move to another state and stay in a homeless shelter because I can't get a job anywhere out here. There's just no way I could be filling in all these applications for all these places (that don't require a resume, JUST an application!!) and not getting interviews. I just applied to OG again.
Well if it turns out that they can't pay for your tuition, I don't understand why you wouldn't just pay for the course yourself or... take out a student loan for some or all of the tuition. Just get it done already and stop complaining about your situation.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:27 AM

Because you can't take out loans for it. It's a non-credit course and it doesn't qualify for any loans or financial aid. It has nothing to do with school anyways. It's job training for a trade called CNC.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:29 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
It's not just you, look at that group of experienced folks in the 50 year old age group that can't get a thing. Look at the number of underemployed in this country. Look at the veterans that can't get jobs. Look at the number in high cost areas that work a couple jobs to pay the rent. There is a problem alright, it's that we import everything from China and CEO's continue to export jobs so they can reduce costs and grab a bigger bonus. Sometimes coming on too strong like you are desperate for the job will turn employers off. Don't offer a reward, all that will come of that is someone meeting you and stealing your money and phone or maybe worse.

Your best bet is to keep working on getting more education. Make that your goal and forget about getting some type of low end job now. Networking, meeting people and developing friendships with people that are working in a field you want to pursue can also be useful. You can do that through local associations and online.

If they won't pay for the course, keep saving. I would think they would take your 2k and just not allow to graduate till you paid the rest. Surely you could work out something or just keep saving. At least that way you have a plan you are working towards!

The problem I see is that you are obsessing on getting some type of job and making that the priority. Make getting the money for school the priority! It would be completely foolish to move to another state and end up homeless in an area where you have no one. That is not at all logical now is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts