Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,660 times

Advertisements

Wow,

A lot of good information on these forums.

My wife and I will be relocating from a suburb west of Atlanta, Ga. We are looking for a safe area where we can rent. I have done some research and the cost of living is higher. I will be working in Methuen, so I would like to keep my commute within 30 minutes.

I appreciated any information from all you helpful people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 08:36 PM

212 posts, read 948,552 times
Andover and North Andover are very nice towns and would be an easy commute. Both towns have rentals. It depends on what you want to spend. If those towns are too expensive, you can look in southern n.h. since Methuen is on the border.

A little further down 93, closer to Boston, would bring you to No. Reading and Reading, also nice towns. Since you would be going in the opposite way of the traffic, the commute would be about 30 minutes.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:54 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Divovsky, I just went in the other direction with my wife and kids, after 15 years in MA. We now live in west Cobb. If you tell me where you lived here in the Atlanta area, I may be able to give you suggestions about towns in MA that offer similar living.

BTW, one thing that is misleading these days is the misperception that cost of living in MA is really that much higher. Other than home prices and car insurance, it may actually be the other way around. Here is what I found since moving in Aug 07.

- Income tax in MA is lower unless you barely make an income
- Sales tax is 1 - 2% lower in MA (depends on GA county)
- Natural gas is much more expensive in GA, although you don't need heat very much
- Electric is a little cheaper in GA
- Cable, phone, etc is about the same
- Gasoline is slightly cheaper in GA
- Property taxes are about the same, but the houses are valued higher in MA, so the $$$ work out higher.
- Traffic is worse in many areas of Atlanta, so you burn more gas, and upkeep for your car costs more due to increased wear and tear (brakes, tires, oil, etc).

If you are working in Methuen, you may want to consider southern NH. Less expensive and better political climate (unless you like Ted Kennedy and friends).

Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Divovsky, I just went in the other direction with my wife and kids, after 15 years in MA. We now live in west Cobb. If you tell me where you lived here in the Atlanta area, I may be able to give you suggestions about towns in MA that offer similar living.

BTW, one thing that is misleading these days is the misperception that cost of living in MA is really that much higher. Other than home prices and car insurance, it may actually be the other way around. Here is what I found since moving in Aug 07.

- Natural gas is much more expensive in GA, although you don't need heat very much
- Property taxes are about the same, but the houses are valued higher in MA, so the $$$ work out higher.
- Traffic is worse in many areas of Atlanta, so you burn more gas, and upkeep for your car costs more due to increased wear and tear (brakes, tires, oil, etc).

If you are working in Methuen, you may want to consider southern NH. Less expensive and better political climate (unless you like Ted Kennedy and friends).
I lived in Atlanta for 7 years, and now I've been in Boston area for the past 2 years. I agree w/most of this, but the property taxes are a killer up here compared to Atlanta if you're comparing the same type property. i.e. I was paying $500/year in taxes (Fulton County - Atlanta, unincorporated Sandy Springs at the time) on my 1300 s.f. townhouse. Now for similar-sized townhomes here, we're looking at anywhere from $3000-4000/year in taxes depending on the town.

If you're renting, it's also much more expensive up here. You can get a 3 bedroom apartment in Marietta for around $900-1000/mo. In Northern MA, it's going to cost you $1200-1400/mo for a 2 bedroom apt w/similar amenities (pool, fitness room, W/D in unit, and A/C).

Overall, after 2 yrs of tracking a budget, I can say this. In Atlanta I was a homeowner and spent money freely. In Boston I'm a renter of a small apartment and I track my expenses very carefully. I've been spending approximately $45k per year for my family 3. In Atlanta, I never spent more than $31k in any year. If your income is about 50% higher here than in Atlanta (which it was for us), then you should be able to make it if you sacrifice some luxuries and watch your spending closely.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I agree w/most of this, but the property taxes are a killer up here compared to Atlanta if you're comparing the same type property. i.e. I was paying $500/year in taxes (Fulton County - Atlanta, unincorporated Sandy Springs at the time) on my 1300 s.f. townhouse. Now for similar-sized townhomes here, we're looking at anywhere from $3000-4000/year in taxes depending on the town.
As I said previously, the property tax difference is due mainly to the higher assessed values. In my case, Cobb Co is also less than Fulton. In MA, I lived in Leominster, and the rate/$1K was always fluctuating due to prop 2 .1/2

Old 12-10-2007, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 7,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

I live in Dallas, but we do not necessaryily want a place similar to Dallas.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:31 AM

10 posts, read 23,440 times
[SIZE=3]ADVICE TO SOUTHERNERS MOVING NORTH

1. Remember; "yous" can be singular or plural.

2. When a waitress asks you if you're "all set", she's asking you for your order or about to give you your check.

3. If you take a cab, make sure that you are packing heat, as well as carrying a universal language translator. None of the cab drivers up north speak anything remotely close to your language.

4. Don't be surprised to find liquor sold in drug stores.

5. Get used to hearing the "F" word and try not to take offense. Most northerners just use it as an adjective. It's f----ing cold, it's f----ing hot, she's f----ing ugly, What the "F" you looking at," etc.

6. The spring wardrobe you brought out in April can wait til June.

7. Even though you are already driving 15 miles over the speed limit, the idiot behind you with the New York tags flashing his lights and flipping you off wants you to get the out of the way. No offense, it's common practice up there.

8. Although there is only one posted speed limit, there is a fast lane and a slow lane. Those traveling in the fast lane are usually doing 20-25 miles above the speed limit. If you want to drive the speed limit, stay in the right lane.

9. Be advised, northerners do sometimes use turn signals; they just wait until actually turning to do so.

10. Forget about ever being able to order bisquits and milk gravy anywhere, even at restaurants that specialize in breakfast. Also, make arrangements to have your favorite grocery store items shipped to you from back home; as you'll most likely never find them in the north even though you can find many items from half way round the world and further.

11. If you tell someone that you're from N.C., don't be surprised if they ask if you've ever been to Mayberry. (Also, "Does your family have an outhouse?", "Did your Daddy ride a mule to work", "Are your Mama and Daddy related", etc. Actually all of these questions will be asked of anyone from the south).

12. Be advised that while you may be used to opening doors for ladies, this could be considered a come-on. Worse yet, lesbians and women's libbers consider it an insult.

13. Although you have been taught to use it all your life, permanently remove Ma'am and Sir from your vocabulary unless you are in the military. People will look at you as if you are fromanother planet.

14. Never ask for grits in a restaurant, and don't expect to find sweetened ice tea anywhere.

15. Don't be concerned that you don't understand anyone. They don't understand you either.

16. Weddings and funerals alike are generally viewed as opportunities to get knee crawling, slip-sliding, commode-hugging drunk.

17. Other transplanted southerners can be identified by the fact that smile and speak even if they don't know you. In addition, if they haven't lived there too long, they still have good manners.

18. While you may have been used to doing this all your life, never again leave your windows open at night.

19. Most northerners seem to think God has a last name. You will rarely hear his name mentioned that it is not followed by a four-letter word. Forgive them. They know not what they say. You will also hear Northerners frequently say, "Ohhhh Myyyyy Gahhhhhd!" Just remind them that they should address someone they know.

20. When some kind-hearted Northerner reminds you who won the Civil War, respond by saying, "Oh you must be referring to the War of Northern Aggression. There was nothing Civil about it."

21. Think back to when you used to live in the south. Make a list of all the things that transplanted northerners used to do that drove you crazy. Don't do any of them.

22. Now that you have lived up north, you have a better understanding of why northerners are the way they are. If you ever do move back to God's country, you will no doubt be more tolerant of them.
[/SIZE]

Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 AM

212 posts, read 948,552 times
Not very funny, googess. How old are you?

Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 PM

450 posts, read 558,221 times
if you want a cheaper no state income tax, less govt , no liberal politics, bring your family up how you want then new hampshire would be for you if you want the opposite then mass would be for you

all depends on the person and what they want

me I'm for new hampshire
good luck buddy

goog that made me smile and I'm not a southerner or northerner have a good rep

Old 12-10-2007, 01:35 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googess View Post
[SIZE=3]ADVICE TO SOUTHERNERS MOVING NORTH

1. Remember; "yous" can be singular or plural.

2. When a waitress asks you if you're "all set", she's asking you for your order or about to give you your check.

3. If you take a cab, make sure that you are packing heat, as well as carrying a universal language translator. None of the cab drivers up north speak anything remotely close to your language.

4. Don't be surprised to find liquor sold in drug stores.

5. Get used to hearing the "F" word and try not to take offense. Most northerners just use it as an adjective. It's f----ing cold, it's f----ing hot, she's f----ing ugly, What the "F" you looking at," etc.

6. The spring wardrobe you brought out in April can wait til June.

7. Even though you are already driving 15 miles over the speed limit, the idiot behind you with the New York tags flashing his lights and flipping you off wants you to get the out of the way. No offense, it's common practice up there.

8. Although there is only one posted speed limit, there is a fast lane and a slow lane. Those traveling in the fast lane are usually doing 20-25 miles above the speed limit. If you want to drive the speed limit, stay in the right lane.

9. Be advised, northerners do sometimes use turn signals; they just wait until actually turning to do so.

10. Forget about ever being able to order bisquits and milk gravy anywhere, even at restaurants that specialize in breakfast. Also, make arrangements to have your favorite grocery store items shipped to you from back home; as you'll most likely never find them in the north even though you can find many items from half way round the world and further.

11. If you tell someone that you're from N.C., don't be surprised if they ask if you've ever been to Mayberry. (Also, "Does your family have an outhouse?", "Did your Daddy ride a mule to work", "Are your Mama and Daddy related", etc. Actually all of these questions will be asked of anyone from the south).

12. Be advised that while you may be used to opening doors for ladies, this could be considered a come-on. Worse yet, lesbians and women's libbers consider it an insult.

13. Although you have been taught to use it all your life, permanently remove Ma'am and Sir from your vocabulary unless you are in the military. People will look at you as if you are fromanother planet.

14. Never ask for grits in a restaurant, and don't expect to find sweetened ice tea anywhere.

15. Don't be concerned that you don't understand anyone. They don't understand you either.

16. Weddings and funerals alike are generally viewed as opportunities to get knee crawling, slip-sliding, commode-hugging drunk.

17. Other transplanted southerners can be identified by the fact that smile and speak even if they don't know you. In addition, if they haven't lived there too long, they still have good manners.

18. While you may have been used to doing this all your life, never again leave your windows open at night.

19. Most northerners seem to think God has a last name. You will rarely hear his name mentioned that it is not followed by a four-letter word. Forgive them. They know not what they say. You will also hear Northerners frequently say, "Ohhhh Myyyyy Gahhhhhd!" Just remind them that they should address someone they know.

20. When some kind-hearted Northerner reminds you who won the Civil War, respond by saying, "Oh you must be referring to the War of Northern Aggression. There was nothing Civil about it."

21. Think back to when you used to live in the south. Make a list of all the things that transplanted northerners used to do that drove you crazy. Don't do any of them.

22. Now that you have lived up north, you have a better understanding of why northerners are the way they are. If you ever do move back to God's country, you will no doubt be more tolerant of them.
[/SIZE]
Funny! I don't understand the item about liquor in the drug stores, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts