Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:45 AM

4 posts, read 5,531 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
So I'm 22 years old and starting a job as a software developer in Kendall Square in Cambridge. I'm looking to move to the Cambridge or Somerville Area (on the red line ideally), but don't know much about where to look and what the general feeling of each square is.

Generally, I've never been into the raging party scene and don't really want to live somewhere where that's a thing.

Descriptions of interesting squares or neighborhoods, or any advice on how to do this would be really appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Did you attend college here or elsewhere? 'cause if you've spent the last 4 years in Boston there's a lot you know about the area already.

Kendall is the least "neighborhood-y" of the squares in Cambridge because it was an industrial/manufacturing center for most of its history. The drab mid-to-high-rises lining Third St have all gone up since the turn of the century. Food shopping would entail a trek to Central Square or Lechmere. Restaurants thereabouts largely target yuppies and grad students instead of aiming to be a community hangout. The principal advantages of Kendall Square are that it's the nearest to Boston and is home to one of the better cineplexes.

Porter Square and vicinity are not that vast of an area once you're clear of the commuter-rail line and T station, and the strip mall. Said strip mall contains a Shaw's in addition to the independent Tags hardware store, among other typical "offerings." The Newtowne Grill serves as the community hangout. Aside from that, the majority of the numerous other eateries in the neighborhood serve Asian cuisine but you'd also find a few pubs. Plus one of the better clubs for live local music ("Toad") is there. Nearly all of the rental housing is in older buildings, whether they be "3-deckas" or duplexes or large brick structures.

Bordering Porter Square immediately to the north/east is Davis, where you can find just about anything except a supermarket (see Porter.) Like all of the other squares - besides Kendall, there are myriad restaurants and bars vying for your discretionary dollars. Johnny D's is a fantastic spot for catching a jazz, blues, or nostalgia rock act. Housing as a rule is much the same as you'd find around Porter; after all, the neighborhoods do intersect.

Inman Square is the only one on this abbreviated list which doesn't have a rapid-transit station (though there are bus lines passing right through.) Whether because of the nearby "bicycle collective" on Broadway, or the tone of some of the restaurant/clubs and shops - or both - here is where you're by far the most likely to see members of the hipster tribe. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, or that the other squares are devoid of them because that's far from being the case.) So if you're a guy with a caveman beard, of either sex and into wearing geeky 1950's horn-rimmed glasses, etc, Inman is where it's at. Not that the places to live are all that unique or desirable compared to the other areas around, plus you have a bus ride or a 10-15 minute walk to reach a subway stop.

Central Square is just that, a confluence of all types of humanity and commerce. You also have the broadest range of apartment styles, from brand-new and not-so-new glass/concrete cubes to 3-deckas to even a pair of polyagonal buildings said to have been inspired by Buckminster Fuller. One of many great things about it is that you can leave the noise and congestion of Mass. Ave behind simply by turning a corner or two. Waking up to chirping birds while sunlight peeks through the shade trees, or rain falls gently, YET being a hop/skip/jump from the Red Line or 64 bus to Kendall, is a great thing to experience.

Harvard Square is so well-known and much written about that it need not be delved into - at least this time - IMHO.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:51 AM

4 posts, read 5,531 times
I went to college in Southern Maryland, so all of this is news to me. In general if it's a choice between hipsters and the preppy people I've heard are common to BU, I tend to have more in common with hipsters.
Thanks, though! This is a huge help.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:59 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woahdomino View Post
hipsters
Then come visit Union Square on a Saturday morning during the farmers market....

Union Sq. is a fun area with several great bars/restaurants that are fairly insulated from the raging college scene. More like people who grew out of it or never were in that camp to begin with. I'd spend a day or two going between some of the different squares and neighborhoods mentioned, but if you have anything in common with hipsters (from rooftop herb gardens and overpriced bacon donuts to $5 neon sunglasses) you'll like it in Union.

As far as transit goes there are only buses. They take you to Sullivan, Central, Porter (for the commuter rail), Davis, among other places.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:38 PM

652 posts, read 750,174 times
Cambridge and Somerville rents are pretty crazy right now. I would probably focus on Inman and Union squares. Neither are on the red line but you should be able to grab quick busses to work, and they both are pretty fun nieghborhoods with plenty of young people and nightlife.

If you don't like "preppies" or "hipsters" you have absolutely chosen the wrong state to move to.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:08 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
I work near Kendall and live near Porter in Somerville. If you are into cycling, biking by far the fastest way to commute in this area. Cambridge and Somerville are both pretty bike Friendly, especially en route to Kendall. My bike commute is under 15 minutes.

For a 22 year old that isn't into alot of partying, Porter is a nice area of young professionals, artsy types and families like mine. It is little more low-key yet it is the most accessible square to all of the other squares - Davis, Harvard, Inman, Union and Kendall, though Kendall is the farthest (3 miles). I think the only area where loud partying may be an issue is on the west side of Davis near Tufts.

As for hipsters, I think Union has taken the cake from Inman.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:16 PM

466 posts, read 643,944 times
There's also Teele Square. This is a very small square in walking distance to Davis Square (and therefore the T), local neighborhoody feel. Some great local pubs and restaurants (Rudy's, PJ Ryan's...), typical multi-family housing on the side streets.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:44 PM

103 posts, read 301,444 times
I live in Area IV in Cambridge right now and my building is a total dump (going up to $3000/mo for a 3 bed in Sept so we're moving!) but I love the area. It's convenient and pretty quiet. My roommates and I go to Allston if we want to party. It's really convenient to Kendall because we're basically right next to it. My roommate walked 5 min to work.

I'd recommend Union Sq, too. I never go out to party there or anything but there are some cool outdoor markets and great food. Also Market Basket is really cheap (and usually totally mobbed).

Cambridgeport is lovely, also. It's close enough to Central Sq but quieter. There is a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods nearby, as well as Microcenter. There are some little parks which I like a lot. And it's close to the river! Walking along the Charles is so nice. Definitely look into Cambridgeport!

Inman Sq is nice, too. I personally like it and East Cambridge the least, but that's mostly because I drive and the streets are narrow and parking is limited.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:22 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niandra View Post
I live in Area IV in Cambridge right now and my building is a total dump (going up to $3000/mo for a 3 bed
I call this robbery.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:00 PM

103 posts, read 301,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I call this robbery.
It really is! This place was renting out for $2000/month just 4 years ago and it's only deteriorated further since.

I'm calling the city inspector to force the landlord to do the electrical work they promised for years but never did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts