Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 09:54 PM

4 posts, read 12,241 times

Advertisements

I know Lynn has a bad rep, but the Diamond District around the Goldfish pond area looks so nice. Is it a nice neighborhood? I'm looking around the Boston and surrounding area for an apartment and I'm thinking of considering this area because I can get so much more for the money here.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 05:09 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
My wife grew up there and my in-laws lived there for 50 years until moving to a condo 2 years ago.

I would say in general the closer you can get to the beach or Eastern Ave. the better the neighborhood gets.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:03 AM

560 posts, read 752,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
My wife grew up there and my in-laws lived there for 50 years until moving to a condo 2 years ago.

I would say in general the closer you can get to the beach or Eastern Ave. the better the neighborhood gets.
This is not necessarily true. the broad st area isnt great.

The best part of lynn is actually Ward 1 around flax and sluice (sp) pond. This area has the highest concentration of single family homes.

Chatham St is sketchy. but more so toward Western Ave. Essex St is also awful. (at least until the split with Cherry St).

Try to find something near the ponds mentioned above or if you cant, then look in the area of Walnut, Parkland Ave.

To be honest, you can probaby find something in a less terrible area for not much more. try Revere (not shirley ave), Saugus, or Malden. None are great but are better than Lynn.

Last edited by Shizim; 06-20-2014 at 06:12 AM..

Old 06-20-2014, 09:38 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
To be honest, you can probaby find something in a less terrible area for not much more. try Revere (not shirley ave), Saugus, or Malden. None are great but are better than Lynn.
I would go with Saugus way before Revere and Malden (I used to live in Saugus and I'm in Revere fairly often)

Also, I agree that parts of Lynn are perfectly fine.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Shizim, let's try not to pile on Lynn too much. I know you're in Lynnfield now but have you actually lived in Lynn? I lived there for 7 years after I got married. Lynn has plenty of nice neighborhoods. Goldfish Pond, where the OP was inquiring about is fine.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:51 PM

560 posts, read 752,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Shizim, let's try not to pile on Lynn too much. I know you're in Lynnfield now but have you actually lived in Lynn? I lived there for 7 years after I got married. Lynn has plenty of nice neighborhoods. Goldfish Pond, where the OP was inquiring about is fine.
I never lived there. my mother in law does and my wife grew up there. one of my best friends lives there so i am there alot. some areas are fine (the pond areas, right outside wyoma sq etc).

i will defer to you on that specific area as the vast majority of my knowledge there is essex st and west. I will say that i have only once not felt safe and that was right off the common.

im not trying to dump too much (as i tried to give areas that are ok vs. teh typical "stay away" comment). if you are young and without kids its probably fine.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:58 PM

11 posts, read 32,634 times
Does anyone have any opinion on Monroe street in Lynn? There are alot of very low priced lofts in the area, that are all redone, new appliances and very spacious.

Is this area dangerous or just underrated?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 PM

743 posts, read 2,270,806 times
I live just up the street from there and i love gold fish pond as well.. it really is a nice place even though the surrounding area are not.. they are really not A+ areas but it looks like the gold fish pond community have a good bond there. the closer you get to the beach the better the area as well. Like Ocean ave is a good street. i also used to own a home in the salem/Lynn line which is also a great area, going on to Walnut st from the baseball park all the way to the Saugus line are also great areas of lynn up in Broadway st, Euclid Ave, Lynnfield st.

I have lived in far worse and way better places then this thats why i say its really not an A+ area.. i honestly give it a C

Depending on where your trying to land and im going to give you everything i have experienced so far

Drunks from the near bar on Lewis (weekends).
and this applies to nights only
People driving around ( probably not from the area ) looking for cocaine.. This i experienced once at 2am when i came from work and walked my dog

drug rehab centers in the surrounding areas <-- i really hate that

loud people at night (once in a great while) i experienced this 3 times this summer people arguing in the early am hours

on the plus side
there are a lot of local business on Lewis so your not too far from anything you need quick

goldfish pond is super relaxing as we already know

i honestly want to move because where i reside now is a bit too loud as it is a busy street on Lewis but im not in a rush because just like you said "More for the money" For me $1200 for a 2 bedroom apartment "WITH HEAT & HOT WATER INCLUDED" is a total steal and the area i can deal with it..

the closer you get to Central Square the more busy it gets
West Lynn Needs major improvement although you may find a cheap apartment there.

Im not saying Lynn is a total dump, Lynn is a great city, im just saying it has the potential to become a greater city..

good luck i hope this helps

Last edited by eldragon; 07-07-2014 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts