Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:32 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what's meant by "older home," and we've been given little insight into what the OP's price point is.
If post-WWII to 1970's vintage passes the "older" test, Chelmsford can deliver in spades. There is some very recent construction, as well as areas such as around the common that go farther back. But for the most part it's a town where subdivisions mushroomed to accommodate Baby Boomer families as well as those "escaping" Lowell and other cities. Neighborhoods vary to some degree: numerous split-levels, and ranch houses - many incorporating an odd A-frame look - to the south, larger garden-variety colonials to the north.
Groton, as well as Carlisle and the town of Harvard, skew towards "precious." Their lot sizes and house prices reflect this. For a less pretentious feel as well as a viable town center (with a movie theater and practical businesses, not just cute shops) I'd look at Maynard, which isn't right next door to Chelmsford but is an easy distance away via 495.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 12:44 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I'm not sure what's meant by "older home," and we've been given little insight into what the OP's price point is.
If post-WWII to 1970's vintage passes the "older" test, Chelmsford can deliver in spades. There is some very recent construction, as well as areas such as around the common that go farther back. But for the most part it's a town where subdivisions mushroomed to accommodate Baby Boomer families as well as those "escaping" Lowell and other cities. Neighborhoods vary to some degree: numerous split-levels, and ranch houses - many incorporating an odd A-frame look - to the south, larger garden-variety colonials to the north.
Groton, as well as Carlisle and the town of Harvard, skew towards "precious." Their lot sizes and house prices reflect this. For a less pretentious feel as well as a viable town center (with a movie theater and practical businesses, not just cute shops) I'd look at Maynard, which isn't right next door to Chelmsford but is an easy distance away via 495.
Explain "precious."

Old 08-07-2014, 01:13 PM

Another idea. Since schools are a non-issue, look at the Belvidere neighborhood in Lowell. Lots of period houses in a suburban setting complete with white picket fences, parks and sidewalks, with right distance to city center diners, art festivals, coffee shops, ethnic groceries and university related events around UMass.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:18 PM

4,692 posts, read 3,472,283 times
I am going to guess you haven't spent much time in Groton and in fairness I know very little of Carlisle or Harvard. Groton center is more then useless cutesy shops. Actually I can't think of any off the top of my head. There is a Donelan's for groceries, a butcher shop, a bakery, a natural market, coffee shops and pizza places, there is Filho's Cucina (which everyone loves but me) and more that escapes me right now. No movie theatre though.
If I am honest about myself I am not upper middle class material, I am very solid working class and look and act it. I have friends who live in Groton and I am there frequently, I do not feel out of place or feel treated as not belonging there as I have felt in some places.
The problem with Chelmsford would be the shopping is so spread out. Pepperell center is also a good working center with groceries, drug stores, coffee shops, pizza, restaurants, etc. It should be cheaper as the schools are not that good and it has more of a socio-economic mix. It also has some truly lovely Victorians right in the downtown area.
I have to admit I know little about Maynard either but here good things about it.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:22 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovespiddles View Post
I am doing quick searches online for real estate and the prices seem higher in Chelmsford , but it could be that I have no clue what I am actually looking at. It could be that there are simply more homes available at a lower price at this time...

It has to do with location of Chelmsford being "closer" to major RT and Boston. Economy in MA is very Boston and Cambridge-centric. You are very lucky not to have to commute to settle with Boston commute in mind and on a daily basis.

With job in Chelmsford you COL will be much lower than rest of Eastern MA and closer to hub as they like to call it.

Groton is cheaper because it tucked away, and too far for a daily commute to Boston (although someone must be doing it from time to time I am sure).

Chelmsford although nice in some parts, is not as nice as Groton IMHO. I also do not think that Chelmsford has walkable downtown like Groton. Which is why got more votes for Chelmsford.

Personally, I would be in town like Groton in a heartbeat, if we didn't have to be around Cambridge on a daily basis. It is a very beautiful place.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:04 PM

12 posts, read 17,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Another idea. Since schools are a non-issue, look at the Belvidere neighborhood in Lowell. Lots of period houses in a suburban setting complete with white picket fences, parks and sidewalks, with right distance to city center diners, art festivals, coffee shops, ethnic groceries and university related events around UMass.

This sounds like it would be more to my liking. I like more of an eclectic feel as opposed to being stuck in a subdivision. Which is where I am now.

Very appreciative of all of the info. This is overwhelming to say the least. We've been in the same home for over 20 years.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Goyguy hasn't been to Maynard in awhile either apparently. The movie theater has been gone for a long time. Actually, Maynard has its own form of pretension, especially lately. Becoming very cliquey with suburban hipsters and a few old hippies.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:10 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovespiddles View Post
Greetings. We have a possible relocation from the Midwest to Chelmsford. The children are grown so schools are not an issue any longer We have two dogs, so a yard is key. Any advise about Chelmsford or nearby towns would be greatly appreciated. I would love an older home closer to a town center where I could walk to do some shopping.
When you say Chelmsford (Ch {as in charm}..ems..fud) do you mean work or live there? As you say older home (many in MA are), the deciding factor could be walking to a town center. Few have town centers.

If wanting an upmarket town with a walkable downtown, I suggest you look at Andover.

Be carful in MA. Many of the cheap New Englanders will say you do not need central air conditioning. This is their way of selling them older homes. Do not believe them. You need AC in MA.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:43 AM

25 posts, read 33,723 times
We moved to Chelmsford two years ago and love it here. We purchased an antique historic colonial just a few steps from the town center. The home is on an acre of land but the backyard blends into the Bartlett Woodlot and new Bruce Freeman bike trail. When I want to go into Boston, I park my car in Lowell and take the commuter rail, 45 min later, I'm in the city. It's the best of both worlds for us, clean, safe, friendly neighbors, decent schools for our daughter. There's a lovely farmers market on the common on Thursdays.

If you are going to be working in Chelmsford, it doesn't hurt to take a look here. There are still some deals to be had, especially if you are willing to fix up an older home like we were. There's a place on High Street that came on the market a couple days ago.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:47 AM

404 posts, read 526,525 times
ive done a lot of research on chelms area. only red flag re: chelms is property taxes. for a larger mid-upper class town of 35k ppl, taxes are very high for an average school district. this smells like poor town management.
I know you don't care about schools, but the resale value of your house sure does. keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts