Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 7,399 times

Advertisements

Why is my townhouse (new construction 2013) taxed so much more than older houses, even bigger single family homes that sold for a higher price than what I paid?

Can anyone refer to a professional I can hire that can contest to the town on my behalf? (attorney, consultant, etc...).

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 07:12 PM

643 posts, read 1,038,133 times
Did those homes sell in the same relative time frame as your townhouse purchase?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:19 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Do your comparable values and take your results to the assessors office.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:10 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph SJ View Post
Why is my townhouse (new construction 2013) taxed so much more than older houses, even bigger single family homes that sold for a higher price than what I paid?

Can anyone refer to a professional I can hire that can contest to the town on my behalf? (attorney, consultant, etc...).

thanks

You can contest on your own behalf.

The most obvious angle imo would be to point out the inferior less expensive building materials in yours vs older homes (eg, vinyl vs aluminum siding, hardwood vs hollow wood or particle board.)

Go online and see what similar homes to your s are selling for and assessed for.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
You can contest on your own behalf.

The most obvious angle imo would be to point out the inferior less expensive building materials in yours vs older homes (eg, vinyl vs aluminum siding, hardwood vs hollow wood or particle board.)

Go online and see what similar homes to your s are selling for and assessed for.
Are you for real? You must be a baby boomer: predictably self-serving with little to no knowledge of anything made after Elvis's death.

I have friends who "close" sections of their old house in the winter because they can't afford the heating bills. How is that better? We know of a couple in Wellesley that had to move out to a hotel when then opened the walls in their fixer upper. An "antique" house in Sharon was burning through 2 full tank of #2 fuel during the winter and the hipsters from New York who bought the place lost 7 figures in the "experience" according to my builder who lives there. This same builder told me that the building code in Massachusetts is so stringent that his cost went up by 10%. The roof brackets are now rated for a hurricane force 3, the electrical systems are all beefed up, the grading is regulated, there is an anti-back flow valve to the sewers, I can heat my house with a candle, and my basement is bone dry, is not a breading ground for black mold and doesn't leach asbestos particules.

Haaaa, forget it. If talking to baby boomers would be helpful, Elizabeth Warren would not have a shot at the presidency.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
Did those homes sell in the same relative time frame as your townhouse purchase?
Yes. I used recent purchase to compare, and that's why I am wondering: is the assessor using this opportunity to start us off a higher bill, because of the lack of history on a new property?

The real question is whether or not the assessor can use the age of the house as the sole factor, because it apparently trumps everything else (sq footage, SFH Vs condo, neighborhood, etc). Everybody know new houses are better, but the real estate value is the same, and so should the tax bills.

JSJ

Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 AM

675 posts, read 1,701,378 times
Quote:
Are you for real? You must be a baby boomer: predictably self-serving with little to no knowledge of anything made after Elvis's death....
Haaaa, forget it. If talking to baby boomers would be helpful, Elizabeth Warren would not have a shot at the presidency.
Hmm...something tells me people will jump to give you LOTS of helpful advice on this forum...

Without your having given us any particulars here, my armchair advice is to look closely at the tax bill, look at the comps from when you bought the place, and maybe actually go to town hall and ask. Is it "taxes" in general or are things like the water bill adding to that $ number - if so it would be easier to track that down.

Is this new home part of a recent development? Or was it built in place of a teardown in a town with rules about that? Are you on town sewer or did they have to build a road or was there something else that the town had to provide for the property? There might be some thing extra tacked on to your tax bill. I'm no expert but those are just random possibilities that popped in my head. I'll wait til the people who know more than I do are charmed by your post and chime in.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:36 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Yes. I used recent purchase to compare, and that's why I am wondering: is the assessor using this opportunity to start us off a higher bill, because of the lack of history on a new property?

JSJ
I've seen that before.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I've seen that before.
Is it legal though?

I feel its like a property owner who can't increase the rent on tenants too much every year, but when one leaves, he jack up the price all the way to market.

Except that this is not a rental, and there are rules to follow.

Anyway, thanks for the input. But I am going to a pro with this.

Cheers

Old 08-25-2014, 07:54 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,744 times
I wouldn't go to a Pro before checking with the town hall for an explanation or to at least pose the question here that you asked us. Then go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts