Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 06:07 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Right. But why can't National Grid sign long term supply contracts to even out the cost?
Because that just isn't how electric companies do business. They have to make a rate case to each state's utility regulators for the customer side and that is a big deal. The winter increase also went in front of the regulators and was approved as they would be losing tons of money due to the unpredictable cost of wholesale electricity. Wholesale electricity is not open to long term contract negotiations, it is a spot market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 06:55 AM

787 posts, read 780,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I'd skip it and keep saving, as you have found out ductless minis aren't cheap. It kinda sucks reaching the point where you have taken care of all the passive measures, it is hard to justify spending 10k to save $100 a month but the ductless are really nice. If I had the cash laying around right now I would, but I'm still working on insulation and boiler/hot water replacement. Gas bill oct 21 to nov 21, $300!!! Granted my boiler was installed in 1972, 15 years before I was even alive.
I've only received one quote from MassSave and it was $10,000 through them. If I look around I bet I could do better. I'd do it if I could get my entire place done for $5,000.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:56 AM

417 posts, read 734,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I'd skip it and keep saving, as you have found out ductless minis aren't cheap. It kinda sucks reaching the point where you have taken care of all the passive measures, it is hard to justify spending 10k to save $100 a month but the ductless are really nice. If I had the cash laying around right now I would, but I'm still working on insulation and boiler/hot water replacement. Gas bill oct 21 to nov 21, $300!!! Granted my boiler was installed in 1972, 15 years before I was even alive.
it's not hard at all to justify spending 10k to save 100/mo. not only will you see that savings but you can expect to have an easier time reselling your home w a miniduct system and/or for a higher selling price.

we just had a ducted mini split put in this summer and loved paying $70/mo for a/c in the 60s all summer and now are loving paying LESS for keeping it at 70 than we were keeping it at 64 using oil.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:11 AM

It comes down to how long I plan to stay in my condo though. I'd say I'd like to be there 5 to 7 years, but who knows what could happen. I don't have a crystal ball, but I know it would be easier to recoup the cost if it was $5,000 rather than $10,000. Like with any big purchase I have to look around and get estimates. What one company offers might not be what some other company offers. Since my condo is not a typical set up I am a little worried if something goes wrong though. Yeah, if everything goes perfectly that would be nice, but there's always the possibility of a major screw up. Then it ends up costing me more than what I expected plus a huge headache.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:20 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post
it's not hard at all to justify spending 10k to save 100/mo. not only will you see that savings but you can expect to have an easier time reselling your home w a miniduct system and/or for a higher selling price.

we just had a ducted mini split put in this summer and loved paying $70/mo for a/c in the 60s all summer and now are loving paying LESS for keeping it at 70 than we were keeping it at 64 using oil.

Maybe for you, or maybe for someone with a house where everything else is in perfect shape. I'd rather put it towards insulation (I have zero) and a new boiler (mine is failing). I'd put it towards updating a bathroom before trying to recoup my money in resale. But those are my circumstances. If you are planning on staying 5 years, again maybe not a great idea...

Old 12-17-2014, 10:22 AM

Now that it's getting colder the baseboards are running longer to keep the temperature steady.

1,145 kWH this month.

$225.89. I used almost 500 kWh less compared to last year though. I was gone for a week on vacation, but still.

[Electricity Supply] $0.119 per kwh x 1145 kWh equals $136.26.

Had I not locked in my rate: $0.1544 per kwh x 1145 kWh equals $176.79.

$40.53 in savings.

Not bad.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:09 PM

6 posts, read 30,910 times
Maybe look at Massachusetts Gas & Electric i just signed a contract with them a bit cheaper about 13.39cents per kWH and no cancellation fees so you can switch back to national grid once the prices drops.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:59 PM

155 posts, read 136,287 times
Default Go Solar

We signed up for solar with Solar City. Can't wait for our panels to be installed in February. We only have enough room for panels that will accommodate 80% of our energy load but we will save lots of money. The panels are free. Sounds like a scam but it isn't. The consultation was easy and my salesman is on point.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:00 PM

155 posts, read 136,287 times
Default My Rate

We locked in our rate with Solar City at 12 KWH, right before they went to a rate of 12.5KWH

Old 12-22-2014, 05:09 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baysky View Post
We signed up for solar with Solar City. Can't wait for our panels to be installed in February. We only have enough room for panels that will accommodate 80% of our energy load but we will save lots of money. The panels are free. Sounds like a scam but it isn't. The consultation was easy and my salesman is on point.
It's not a scam but it's certainly not as simple as picking up the phone and just ordering a solar system. I looked into getting one and was basically told it wasn't viable for me due to the direction my roof faces and heavy tree cover. Even if I took out a lot of trees, the system still wouldn't produce enough to be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts