Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 10:12 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo21 View Post
Some of us actually give a about our kids. If you don't, that's fine, but your pollution harms my boy's future. You flat-earthers will be voted into extinction as demographics change, to the greater benefit of humanity.
Not even going to respond to your little rant beyond saying, have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 12:21 PM

239 posts, read 350,425 times
I will say this -

The right wingers of Massachusetts need to take the time to actually learn the culture of New Hampshire and its history before trying to assert themselves into our local politics. They've almost killed the NH Republican Party by blindly supporting right wing lunatics (and Scott Brown) because they have this idealized version of New Hampshire as a right wing paradise. They simply want NH to be the antithesis of Massachusetts when in reality, our politics are a bit more nuanced than that.

Whenever I move somewhere new, I try to learn the history and why things are the way they are. It seems that when right wing Bay Staters move north, they just vote against EVERYTHING liberal. New Hampshire is NOT your get away from the "liberalness" of Massachusetts, we are a state full of proud people with our political history.

The same can also be said for left wing Massachusetts people who want to turn the state into North Massachusetts, they seem to have had less of an impact though.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:53 PM

560 posts, read 752,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway Freak View Post
I will say this -

The right wingers of Massachusetts need to take the time to actually learn the culture of New Hampshire and its history before trying to assert themselves into our local politics. They've almost killed the NH Republican Party by blindly supporting right wing lunatics (and Scott Brown) because they have this idealized version of New Hampshire as a right wing paradise. They simply want NH to be the antithesis of Massachusetts when in reality, our politics are a bit more nuanced than that.

Whenever I move somewhere new, I try to learn the history and why things are the way they are. It seems that when right wing Bay Staters move north, they just vote against EVERYTHING liberal. New Hampshire is NOT your get away from the "liberalness" of Massachusetts, we are a state full of proud people with our political history.

The same can also be said for left wing Massachusetts people who want to turn the state into North Massachusetts, they seem to have had less of an impact though.
Why do you think the VAST majority or right or left wingers care at all about NH politics? Scott Brown being there does not represent a sudden interest of MA residents in NH politics. He is one man.

I think its kinda silly that he's up there now, but that is the extent of my interest.

I would be careful making such broad statements. even if there is a grain of truth in what you say, it comes across as inflammatory and thus easily dismissed.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
Why do you think the VAST majority or right or left wingers care at all about NH politics? Scott Brown being there does not represent a sudden interest of MA residents in NH politics. He is one man.

I think its kinda silly that he's up there now, but that is the extent of my interest.

I would be careful making such broad statements. even if there is a grain of truth in what you say, it comes across as inflammatory and thus easily dismissed.
I'm not trying to be inflammatory but I just hate that people have come to see New Hampshire as a right wing paradise for them to escape to.

And I'm referring to the right wing Massachusetts people who have actually moved to New Hampshire, not ones who don't live in NH. Obviously, they don't care.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:45 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be inflammatory but I just hate that people have come to see New Hampshire as a right wing paradise for them to escape to.

And I'm referring to the right wing Massachusetts people who have actually moved to New Hampshire, not ones who don't live in NH. Obviously, they don't care.
I'd venture to say NH politics align more closely with Colorado's attitude - a libertarian view and certainly not socially conservative (i.e., the deep south). It's certainly more conservative than your western libertarian states, but New England is a fairly conservative as whole, even in it's "liberalness".

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 10-17-2014 at 01:53 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 01:56 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times
Quote:
I think you're a little off on this. Actually, I think many of the people moving to NH, aren't looking for a right-wing paradise. What I think many are looking for is for less regulation, less being told what to do by gov't, and less taxes. IMHO, many of the Mass. people I know that have moved there (or want to move there) just want to be left alone to do what they wish.

Last edited by Bruins_Fan; 10-17-2014 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-17-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I'd venture to say NH politics align more closely with Colorado's attitude - a libertarian view and certainly not socially conservative (i.e., the deep south). It's certainly more conservative than your western libertarian states, but New England is a fairly conservative as whole, even in it's "liberalness".
I agree with this, New Hampshire has historically been a very libertarian state and most New Hampshire natives just want to be left alone to their own devices. But I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. New Hampshire IS a New England state and does have a heritage that it shares with Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, Maine and even Connecticut. The essential nexus of power in New Hampshire (as it historically is for all of New England) is the town. We expect the town to provide for us and have a strong distrust of a large state government.

To understand historical New Hampshire politics, you have to understand that central to it is the belief that the best government is local. The New Hampshire legislature is the best reflection of this. We have 400 state reps, not because we love huge legislatures but because we believe in the idea of a citizen legislature, governed by people who have close contact with their constituents. We are historically hostile to the idea of some small body in Concord or Washington making decisions of us. After all, who are they to know what Lancaster needs, what Conway needs and what Berlin needs? What I'm afraid of is people not getting that and just voting for candidates who say "I WANT SMALLER GOVERNMENT." That alone is not New Hampshire, New Hampshire is smaller STATE AND FEDERAL government and more local autonomy.

Trust me, I'm making the reverse move (via Michigan) and will moving to Massachusetts in May. I'm doing my best to educate myself on the history of the state and its politics. I don't know if it's reasonable to ask that people who move to NH to do the same. I have a fair amount of home state pride so I try to respect others who may feel the same way about their state.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:57 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:

To understand historical New Hampshire politics, you have to understand that central to it is the belief that the best government is local. The New Hampshire legislature is the best reflection of this. We have 400 state reps, not because we love huge legislatures but because we believe in the idea of a citizen legislature, governed by people who have close contact with their constituents. We are historically hostile to the idea of some small body in Concord or Washington making decisions of us. After all, who are they to know what Lancaster needs, what Conway needs and what Berlin needs? What I'm afraid of is people not getting that and just voting for candidates who say "I WANT SMALLER GOVERNMENT." That alone is not New Hampshire, New Hampshire is smaller STATE AND FEDERAL government and more local autonomy.
I think most people understand that. If not they catch on pretty fast.

New England has a strong tradition of the local town meeting. Our schools are local and our county government is small, unlike other areas of the country.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I think most people understand that. If not they catch on pretty fast.

New England has a strong tradition of the local town meeting. Our schools are local and our county government is small, unlike other areas of the country.
Yeah, when I left New England, that was the biggest culture shock for me. People were talking about their county as if it meant something.

If anyone started a "New England vs. Great Lakes" thread, I'd roll right in and vigorously defend New England. I love my home region and all of its nuances. I love Massachusetts too, I just want to advocate for New Hampshire and I'm feeling incredibly homesick right now so that's not helping matters.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:29 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Cheer up. You'll be home soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts