Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:21 AM

46 posts, read 49,848 times

Advertisements

anybody have any suggestions on how I can get a jump for my car. my roadside assistance wont come out. car does need a new battery but I cant afford one. Ive tried asking friends and neighbors but no one will help. local garage wants more than i can pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 07:52 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Sorry you are in your predicament. When you can afford it a highly recommend a triple AAA membership so you don't end up in the same situation in the future. i'm afraid you will have to be patient and wait until your current roadside assistance is able to get to your car.

With neighbors like yours, me thinks it's time to move.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:08 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
Maybe buy a portable charger online and have it delivered to your house.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Go get a portable charger, but I don't know if those are any cheaper than a new battery.

Call a friend.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:29 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Stand by your car holding up a sign saying that you need a jump start. Maybe a kind motorist passing by has jumper cables and will stop to help you out.

How old is your battery? Do you have any extra money at all?

Old 02-03-2015, 09:32 AM

248 posts, read 342,954 times
We use a portable charger, but it won't be any cheaper than a new battery, which you'll need eventually if you don't want to have to redo this incident all winter.

Your friends and neighbors really won't help? I've never heard of such a thing, around here, anyway. Most people are happy to help out with a jump start. You should have cables if you have a car.

If your "friends" and "neighbors" (I guess they don't live up to the terms) really won't help, try a stranger. Hike out to the local convenience store and ask the clerk and other shoppers if they can help. I've had strangers help me more than your "friends" seem to be willing to.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:51 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiroberta View Post
anybody have any suggestions on how I can get a jump for my car. my roadside assistance wont come out. car does need a new battery but I cant afford one. Ive tried asking friends and neighbors but no one will help. local garage wants more than i can pay.
Do you have a friend with AAA? The reason I ask is because all they have to do is call and give your make/model/plate number. Your car doesn't need to belong to or be registered to an AAA member and they don't have to be present. They just have to call on your behalf and AAA will come.

Other than that, I agree with flagging down a stranger or just wait for your roadside assistance to get there. Definitely save a little (when money was tight, I always found something to sell on craigslist or ebay for a few extra bucks) and invest in the new battery since you're going to be doing this every time you try and start the car.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:53 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiroberta View Post
If you can't afford a 40-60 dollar battery from a local auto parts house, you're pretty much SOL. If you do get a jump start, what is your long term plan? Leave the car running 24/7? If the battery is truly dead, you will have to jump start the car every time you cut the ignition.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:54 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I'm getting the impression that the OP doesn't have their own set of jumper cables. And actually, while I have a set of jumper cables in my car, most people I know don't own a set, not even my boyfriend.

Add to that, many people are very apprehensive about anything going on under the hood of their car. So I wouldn't go insulting the OP's friends and neighbors by putting their titles in quotes just because they didn't help with starting the car.

We were in the single digits in temperatures this morning. So that will kill any battery that is old and tired. Otherwise, I am concerned that the OP doesn't have the spare money to buy a new battery. Car ownership isn't for anyone who can't afford the basic maintenances like the cost of a new battery.

Anyway, again I suggest that they put a sign on their car asking for a kind passerby to give them a jumpstart. As a thank you, the good samaritan should be offered a few bucks towards the price of a cup of coffee or hot chocolate.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:20 AM

419 posts, read 1,238,382 times
Call your local police dept on their non emergency number. A cop will probably give you a jump start, unless of course he shoots you instead. JK.

Believe it or not, most battery failures occur during extreme heat more often than during the extreme cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts