Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 09:03 PM

5 posts, read 6,742 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Tampa, FL and my husband recently secured a job in Tewksbury, MA. We are going April 1-5 to look for housing. We have narrowed between the cities of Stow, Harvard, Acton and Boxborough. We primary chose this area because of how quiet and quaint the cities are. The school districts were also a big factor in our decision to choose these cities. Can anyone enlighten us if these are good cities where it's most ideal to raise a family? How far/ long is the commute from any of these cities to Tewksbury? We'd like some space and quiet which we lack from where we are now. We have an 11 and a 7 y/o. We were going to checkout the school district of Harvard when we go up there. Any suggestions or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 11:44 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
They are all fine towns for families, and the school districts are well regarded. I think OP needs to mention a budget before many people are likely to respond. Please remember these are towns, not cities, and Boxborough in particular is barely a town. For all, I think you'd have to get to I-495 to go north to Tewksbury, so a map should show you how much back-road driving there is before you get to 495. Did you mean to exclude Littleton (between Acton and Boxborough, and right next to 495, very coherent community for raising kids. Best wishes on your move, and hope you can give more info so as to get more answers.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:08 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,935 times
Bring money.

And warm clothes.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:38 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,428 times
The farther West of 128 you get the colder and more snow you get. I always liked Harvard.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:26 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
The farther West of 128 you get the colder and more snow you get. I always liked Harvard.
I like Harvard too. It's quiet and quaint, makes me think Old Money. Maybe it's boring, but I don't know. As someone already said, these are not cities at all. Harvard is only a tiny town. What about Wilmington or even Tewksbury to live in or don't they have good schools?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:54 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
bring bags and bags of money.

And warm clothes.
fify

Old 03-24-2015, 04:27 PM

- We have a budget of about $650k, preferably a single family home.
- Where can we find stores that sell good quality jackets and boots rated for the "northern cold"?
- Any negatives about the aforementioned towns? Yes, we have considered Littleton too.
- is there a YMCA for aftercare for kids around?
- When is a good time to go for lobster and crabs? Are blue crabs abundant there?

Old 03-24-2015, 06:42 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamarie4B View Post
- We have a budget of about $650k, preferably a single family home.
- Where can we find stores that sell good quality jackets and boots rated for the "northern cold"?
- Any negatives about the aforementioned towns? Yes, we have considered Littleton too.
- is there a YMCA for aftercare for kids around?
- When is a good time to go for lobster and crabs? Are blue crabs abundant there?
Dick's will always do for warm cloths. There is also a brand new Cabela's in Berlin. Other places to try: EMS, REI, LL Bean.

No real negatives with any of those towns, other than that they are somewhat rural and spread out (you will do quite a bit of driving around for shopping and most other activities).

Blue crabs exist in MA but they aren't real big commercially, that's more of a DE/MD/VA thing. This is lobster country (and clams, scallops, etc.) all of which should be good any time of the year. Most of us tend to consume more of those things in the summer, however.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:59 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,528 times
Welcome. I would recommend Andover as a great place with very lively town "downtown area", and not as too remote or rural. Your husband would have great commute, town has excellent schools, and even offer train station into Boston, if his employment changes (or yours changes) for some reason.

Rural life in very cold, snowy area might be too much to handle if coming from FL. You might need generator, bigger snowblower, and all other extra expenditures, to be prepared for a life in rural MA during the winter time. Andover offers nicer balance IMHO, but also like Harvard has little pond area that residents can enjoy.

You would also be closer to shore and beaches, as well as tax free shopping in NH, including mountains and skiing.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:50 PM

Thank you all for your input. I will take all information into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts